OTG Cable (Buyer Beware)

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I purchased an OTG cable a while back and tried it out on my Note 2. I plugged a USB jump drive to it, and was able to read and transfer the files to and from my jump drive. I was quite happy.
I went on Amazon today to purchase an additional cable, so I could keep one at work. I was shocked when I read all of the 1 star ratings for most of the OTG cables. Most of the users said the faulty plugs on some cables bricked their phone.
Before purchasing another cable, I decided to give my cable a test. I plugged it in, and all was fine. I continued to plug it in and test it...... then all of a sudden, my device acted weird. I plugged it in and got some type of warning about something being damaged. I didn't have a chance to read all if it before the notice went away, but I do remember seeing the word damaged.
I plugged my phone up to my charger to see if the USB plug was still working, and it would not charge. Tried it a few more times, still nothing. At that point I was prepared to take it back to Verizon, use my insurance, and be out 100 bucks.
After taking out the battery and doing a reboot, it started charging again.
Now I'm afraid to use my OTG cable again.

Anyone had any issues with OTG cables?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Which one did you get? I got one that was like $0.85 and it's never been faulty.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The original one came from eBay. I was going to grab another one from Amazon, but chose not to after reading some of the 1 star ratings.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The OTG cable I have works, as far as connecting devices to it and what not.
For some reason, after I use it, my charger will no longer charge my phone.
I have to reboot my phone in order for my charger to start working again.
I went ahead and purchased the OTG cable for the Galaxy Note 2 from Samsung.
It's rather expensive at $19, but I hope it won't cause me any issues.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Never trust ultra cheap parts that are any more complicated than a case or screen protector. I learned my lesson last year with a cheapo MHL adapter that literally never worked right. Even when it would send a signal it was distorted and flickering. Bought the proper cable (which was 3x the price) and it worked 100% every single time. No flickering or corruption.

The same goes for batteries. All the people buying "oem" batteries for 1/5th their going rate are getting fooled. Those batteries are not only counterfeit but they aren't even 100% of what they advertise as far as capacity goes. Most of the time they're 50-66% of what they're advertised as.

The best thing to do is look around for Samsung.com coupons and buy the adapters direct through them. You know you're getting a quality product and with the right coupons you can get them at almost the same prices as the fakes on eBay, Amazon etc.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Never trust ultra cheap parts that are any more complicated than a case or screen protector. I learned my lesson last year with a cheapo MHL adapter that literally never worked right. Even when it would send a signal it was distorted and flickering. Bought the proper cable (which was 3x the price) and it worked 100% every single time. No flickering or corruption.

The same goes for batteries. All the people buying "oem" batteries for 1/5th their going rate are getting fooled. Those batteries are not only counterfeit but they aren't even 100% of what they advertise as far as capacity goes. Most of the time they're 50-66% of what they're advertised as.

The best thing to do is look around for Samsung.com coupons and buy the adapters direct through them. You know you're getting a quality product and with the right coupons you can get them at almost the same prices as the fakes on eBay, Amazon etc.

I tried using my Samsung coupon codes, but they no longer worked. Not sure when their coupons expired. I was able to get a battery and charger a few months ago using their coupon codes. All of the ones I currently have no longer work. Went online searching for codes, but came up empty. Had to pay full price this time around.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried using my Samsung coupon codes, but they no longer worked. Not sure when their coupons expired. I was able to get a battery and charger a few months ago using their coupon codes. All of the ones I currently have no longer work. Went online searching for codes, but came up empty. Had to pay full price this time around.

Well if you're saving for a bargain then wait around until the Galaxy S4 launches. I'm sure they'll have coupons that will be passed around the net by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC