Email setup issues... me.com email

Leigh Barber

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Im a fairly recent convert from Apple to Android and loving it so far, but have encountered a problem with my email over the last few days?

For clarity, i have a Galaxy Note 2, running Android 4.1.2.

I have a me.com email address, and I've always been able to receive and send email perfectly but recently, seemingly when i did an OTA update of the software to 4.1.2, i have been unable to send any email. Getting email is fine, sending causes problems in that I can't do it.

I have tried deleting and resetting up the account, doing it automatically through the phone and doing it manually but nothing seems to work. The manual settings i have in the phone are as follows which i have found online at the apple website:

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:
▪ Server name: imap.mail.me.com
▪ SSL Required: Yes
▪ Port: 993
▪ Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
▪ Password: Your iCloud password
SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:
▪ Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
▪ SSL Required: Yes
▪ Port: 587
▪ SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
▪ Password: iCloud password

These were obtained from the Apple website but do not seem to work, neither does changing the Port number, whether SSL is required or SMTP authentication?nothing.

Can anyone help? What should the settings be for my phone to allow me to be able to send emails from it. Weirdly, i seem to be able to set up and send email on my old iPhone so I am assuming it is an Android issue and not the email address itself.

Any advice gratefully received.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have my me.com email address working fine on my Note II running 4.1.1. My settings are slightly different for outgoing mail though. Instead of SSL security, try setting it to TLS.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

Leigh Barber

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It was working fine on 4.1.1, but it seems that when i have updated it is where my problems have started... i have also tried setting it to TLS and that doesnt work either.

Thanks for the advice though...

:-(

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Try downloading Aqua mail for free from the Play store. I use it and my Me account works fine. If it works with Aqua mail then at least you know it's the Mail app and not the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Leigh Barber

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I tried aqua mail and had no luck but it did lead me to have another look online which had lead me to sorting out the issue. .. I think.

I've had to put the following in

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:
▪ Server name:smtp.mail.me.com
▪ TLS Required: Yes
▪ Port: 25
▪ Authentication Required: Yes
▪ Password: iCloud password

The really weird thing is that when I use my current password it didn't like it, but if I use the password I had before I had to change it due to Apple altering their rules on passwords it all works well.

Really odd but it all seems to work now. Hope this helps if someone else encounters this issue. ... try using a previous password in the smtp password field! !

grumpyjoe

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Give Windroid a try. I have been using them for awhile now. The developers are very quick with a response sometimes within minutes. They have helped me with things other than email stuff. Very nice guys.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It was working fine on 4.1.1, but it seems that when i have updated it is where my problems have started... i have also tried setting it to TLS and that doesnt work either.

Thanks for the advice though...

:-(

Outgoing:
Port 587
TLS security
Smtp.me.com
Check require sign in box
Enter your user I'd and password

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Leigh Barber

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Bumping this to the top as once again its not working.... under the settings that I posted last time it worked fine for about a month, and then I had an issue with my Note 2 that meant I had to reset the whole thing. Apon trying to connect to mail, im getting my old issue with it saying the username and password are wrong when they arent...
Ive tried all the above setting and suggestions, used old passwords and my current one... entered it all about 100 times for each different way...banged my head against the wall.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening... seriously considered switching totally to gmail.

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I also have almost the same settings as the ones you posted in the first post, but it works just fine. I had to change from SSL to TLS for outgoing, though. And for username you're using the whole email, not just the part before the @?

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Bumping this to the top as once again its not working.... under the settings that I posted last time it worked fine for about a month, and then I had an issue with my Note 2 that meant I had to reset the whole thing. Apon trying to connect to mail, im getting my old issue with it saying the username and password are wrong when they arent...
Ive tried all the above setting and suggestions, used old passwords and my current one... entered it all about 100 times for each different way...banged my head against the wall.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening... seriously considered switching totally to gmail.

can you verify your account is working and ok by logging in from the web by going to www.icloud.com ?

also, did you reset your password recently at icloud? apple made password requirement changes so you may need to reset it to include at least one capital letter, one number, and at least eight characters long (there may be more requirements, so you'll have to check that out)

Leigh Barber

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I also have almost the same settings as the ones you posted in the first post, but it works just fine. I had to change from SSL to TLS for outgoing, though. And for username you're using the whole email, not just the part before the @?

It is really weird that what seems to work for one person, doesnt for another... which having tried this again, its not for me.

can you verify your account is working and ok by logging in from the web by going to www.icloud.com ?

also, did you reset your password recently at icloud? apple made password requirement changes so you may need to reset it to include at least one capital letter, one number, and at least eight characters long (there may be more requirements, so you'll have to check that out)

It all works fine at icloud.com... this is the only way that I can send emails from this address at the moment. I did change my password recentlyish and it does follow the correct guidelines now...ie: Capital letter and number etc... I shall change it again, maybe thatll work.

edit:

And with that its all fine. Seems it wasnt liking my password even though it was correct... changing the password has sorted it.... for now!!

Thanks to all those that offered advice.

Last edited:

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Glad it seems to be working now. I don't use my icloud address for anything so I didn't bother putting it on my note 2, but funny thing is I had issues with my work account on my iPhone 5 and it setup and works perfectly on my note. It's odd how you can have problems with setting up mail on one and not the other with the exact same settings. I have to say I've left Blackberry behind years ago, but they still have the easiest email setup I've used and it always seemed to work for me.

Tracy Ann

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issues as this thread so I deleted the account on my phone and now I can't get it to create the account. Any help my @me user name is differentbthen the email address too so that's confusing.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issues as this thread so I deleted the account on my phone and now I can't get it to create the account. Any help my @me user name is differentbthen the email address too so that's confusing.

Try using your @me email address as the "Account name".

Don Daniels

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I just went through this whole rigamarole AGAIN on my wife's phone. The upshot of it all is, tho' on the SMTP side the Username was specified as "Her_Name" [without the at me dot com], the IMAP side needed to be changed from that [which had worked fine previously] to "her_name" [again without the at me dot com]. This was discovered by *eventually* logging into to iCloud dot com [thereby proving that her Username and Password were viable as I was already sure], clicking on the icon next to her name to pull-down the little menu to then click on iCloud Settings, to find and click Manage right under "Apple ID". In there it claims that her Apple ID and Primary Email Address are both really "her_name" at me dot com, despite the fact that in some places they can be entered as "Her_Name" at me dot com.

Sigh.

DigitalKnight

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
On Andriod 5.0.2 Gmail I can only get to the Incoming server settings and I can fill in all the data but the "NEXT >" stays grayed out so I can not continue on to the Outgoing server settings for setting up iCloud email. Anyone else having this issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair