Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jdub1981
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does unlocking Note 2 automatically root it?

Hi all,
    I'm new here. I'm looking to buy a new note 2 for the third time (yeah, I lost the first one and gave the second to my girlfriend). Someone is selling one to me here in Ghana , and it was previously locked to O2 (UK network), it's now been unlocked and my question is whether it's been automatically rooted since it's unlocked. I wouldn't mind a rooted phone since I would like a little more "freedom" . thnx to you all.

Default Re: Does unlocking Note 2 automatically root it?

Unlocking from the carrier does not root the phone.
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Rooting is not the same as unlocking. Unlocking can be legally done by the carrier. Rooting is legal too but dont expect the carrier to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Ry likes this.

Here are two articles I wrote about my experience with rooting and unlocking my bootloader, if it helps:
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    Rooting is not the same as unlocking. Unlocking can be legally done by the carrier. Rooting is legal too but dont expect the carrier to do it.

Sprint actually has in the terms of service that they can cancel your contract if you are operating a rooted device now...

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks to you all out here....thanks a million for your response, and thanks to the moderators on this website for picking my question to explain more on. I will be here forever.

Yes, but that's not the same as illegal.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3. Please forgive any typos or auto-correct errors.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Rooting is completely legal. It says so in DMCA. If they try to enforce that rule they may have a lawsuit. Rooting should only void warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    Rooting is completely legal. It says so in DMCA. If they try to enforce that rule they may have a lawsuit. Rooting should only void warranty.

Rooting may be a violation of terms of service, and may be grounds for termination or denial of warranty. Now sprint or other carriers are not legally required to provide warranty service, so they can deny warranty service for any reason. Their denial of warranty service is not the same as voiding warranty. You can still go through the manufacturer and have your phone serviced. In fact, it is not even possible for sprint to void warranty, only the manufacturer can do that.

With that said, sprint I doubt is going to cancel service of people who are rooting based solely on the fact that they are rooted, since rooting by itself didn't really have any negative affect. So long as they are still making money on you, why cancel?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Also, unlocking the bootloader, SIM unlocking (carrier unlocking) and rooting are three entirely different concepts... from the comments, it doesn't look like everyone is on the same page about that. The OP is talking about SIM unlocking, which doesn't require root and doesn't unlock the boot loader and thus has no impact on the warranty concerns.
    Thanked by:

NothingIsTrue is right on the mark. I'm going to throw these in here:

These are important and informative reads for people of all levels of knowledge. The first link in particular ("What is 'unlocked'?") is extremely relevant to this thread.
    Thanked by:
    lpt2569 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks for more info everybody!

how to root my samsung note2