Note 2 won't charge

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 2 wont charge

This seems to be an upcoming problem with these phones. I posted a thread the other day about my problem and then started finding all these new ones: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/268354-charging-problems-acting-flaky-need-help.html. I took mine apart and actually found cable unplugged from the circuit board. You can see it on the bottom of the photo about in the middle. I found a site online that sells the USB charging board for about $12 for my L900 version. Some of the other models sold for about $10. I'm going to buy and replace the board and see if that solves the problem.

I plugged it back in and reassembled everything and the battery went from a reading of 24% to 75% and it continued to charge up to 100%. It does still seem to go in and out of the charge cycle though.

Samsung replaced the whole charging board on my Note 2 and it works fine now.
On your pic, it is the whole assembly of the PCB board with the marking "L900" up the copper colored strip.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Right. That is the part I ordered. I also learned there are different boards out there for the different model phones. The one I got was specific for the L900. Rev 0.9 is for the L900/Sprint phones. there is also Rev 0.5-8 and the boards do look somewhat different. The total pat cost was $27. It cost about as much for shipping as it did for the $13 part. The only places I could find it were 2 online stores out of Hong Kong. As things usually go, I haven't seemed to have had the problem for the past couple of days after I ordered the part. I'll be replacing it anyway when the part gets here.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Strange thing. Ever since I reconnected that loose cable on the phone, I haven't had the issue with charging like I did before. It's been charging well and I haven't had the erratic issues that came up. I'm wondering if the problem with the other phones out there is a ribbon cable that hasn't been connected properly.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Please don't think for a moment this is a problem specific to the Note 2. As phones get bigger the only thing that remains the same size is the charging port.

The USB port can and will break from the main board but the percentage is small compared to the number of phones the port doesn't break on.

Look up the HTC Evo and you'll see this was common

Maverick Martin

May 7, 2013
Visit site

My Note occasionally will not start after I have drained the battery to zero. This usually happens when I am playing Monopoly and cannot see the battery indicator and for some reason I do not receive any warnings that the battery is low, or maybe I just ignore them because the evil car driver is buying all of the railroads! Sometimes I can have the phone plugged into a charger but the game drains the battery regardless. I have determined it is the charger's fault. I use the charger that came with my headset to charge my phone when I am upstairs and a different charger when I am downstairs. The downstairs charger is rated at 550 mA and the upstairs charger is rated at 180 mA. When I plug my phone into the downstairs charger it will immediately begin charging the phone. So make sure you are using a charger with enough amperage to kick the charging circuit into gear. I have no idea what that threshold is but it is more than 180 mA.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Use your stock Samsung charger. It is 2000mA.
While charging, check the status, it should say charging AC, if it says charging USB you're on a slow charge. It can take an extra 5 hours or so to a full charge.

alan joseph

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. The only way I can charge my phone is if I power off the device and let it sit there for 10+ hours. I even purchased an extra battery and that seemed to work for 1 day.

jamm1983

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 2 was got wet

Hi everyone I am so stressed now, I dropped my phone in the water and that day I bring the phone the Samsung Service Center, one by the way my phone is Samsung galaxy note 2. So the diagnose of my phone it says its all damage the board is dead if I want to they will change but OMG its very costly. Pls any help to advice me what to do. My phone is 5 months old only. Is there possible that I can buy board where I can replace my damage board? Pls I need help.

Retops

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 2 was got wet

I am beginning to think the Note 2 and I were not meant for each other. The first one I bought was ruined when I dropped it into water. The second one has the weird charging problem mentioned above. It will not charge when the phone is on. To charge it I must turn off the phone and when the phone is fully off, plug in the cable. It also goes into "dock mode" at times for no reason.

When the phone is on, if I plug in the charger, it will cause the phone screen to become unresponsive and the charger must be disconnected to even turn it off.

The phone is stock and the charger is the one that came with it. AT&T is sending me a new charger, but I am pretty sure it is the USB module. Kind of irritating.

Blake Buckner

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I have a Galaxy Note 2 - model i1317 and experienced this problem as well. When I would plug in the charger, the charge indicator would cycle on and off - along with the little sound (Duh, dip!) - sometimes it would think a dock was connected when there was none. Sometimes it would charge up 30-40% and then start freaking out again.

After reading the responses here, and on other forums, I was set to send it to Samsung to have the charging unit replaced. Fortunately for me in this case, I procrastinated for a day or so. I decided to give it one last chance, plugged it in and ta-da - no more problems.

Here's what I think the issue is. The USB port is HIGHLY sensitive to moisture. The first time I experienced the problem was after a motorcycle trip - it was raining and I had my Note 2 in the "tank bag" on my bike, which is water proof. It was exposed to moisture, but not anything that would have made me suspect a malfunction - no more than you would say using your phone under an umbrella on a rainy day - moist, but not wet. The problem resolved in a day or so. Then about 2 weeks later I started having the same problem, but then remembered the night before my Note 2 had been sitting in contact with a damp kitchen towel - the USB port end was under the towel. Again, I didn't think much about it at first, but then it dawned on me this might be the problem. Sure enough after a day or so of drying out I have no more problems.

Don't even show a glass of water to your Galaxy Note 2. :)

seanirani

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

.Thanks Kyle,
I think buying an external charger works fine... I got one from a Samsung store & it came with an extra battery, the only problem is connecting to a PC using a USB port... that wont work...

djkdawg

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

so after having my phone in my pocket while it was pouring down, my note decided it didnt want to charge the battery if i let it completely die, if i plugged it in before it died, it will charge fine but after the battery die, i was getting no juice no matter what i did, so my solution was to buy a new battery and that worked until i let it completely drain and die, so i looked at the usb port on my note and it looked a little corroded, so i cleaned it out really good with some rubbing alcohol, which was hard i had to find something sturdy and skinny to fit in there but after i shined it all back up and put the charger in , lord behold, it started charging normal, so i would say try cleaning the port, really really good, i bet the contacts are just dirty from the water and pocket lint

Last edited:

Pacai

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Hey, how long do they took time for replacing the new USB port module?
i guess mine also face same problem with you..
Is it difficult to get spare parts of them?
What about the cost then?

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Hey this is a REAL ANSWER TO YOUR SITUATION THAT WILL WORK. I'm guessing your device is rooted ? Because my Galaxy s2 epic 4g had the same problem, It wouldn't hold its charge. At first i thought it was the battery. First do the "spin test" Laying out your battery and try spinning it, If it spins than you will need a new battery if not than your battery is fine. So DO NOT buy a battery, It won't solve the issue unless your battery is bad. To fix your phone you will need around $5-$25. Now go onto ebay and order a brand new EXTERNAL DOCK CHARGER.Make sure it is to charge the battery itself and not the whole phone and be sure to type in the type of phone you have so you get the right one. Now you'll have to take out the battery and charge it but it will work, I guarantee it will. I ordered mine last week and got my dock charger today , Charged it and it worked completely fine. Works and now I have my phone running without taking it to the store to get it fixed or buy a new one. PLEASE give this a thumbs up, so others will see this so it will help them also.

This is a ridiculous solution; I wish there were a "thumbs down" or "dislike" choice. Workarounds, like this one, are NEVER the right choice; they're just temporary. The only right way to do something is to do it right. If the USB port's bad, then one gets it repaired... properly. Additionally, I suspect the cost of the USB port module, as a part -- even with shipping -- is less than the cost of the dock.

Moreover, spinning the battery isn't even a good way to tell if it's swollen, much less actually needs replacement.

I'm surprised your solution didn't include dancing around while swinging a dead cat and whooping to the gods.

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry, but that thread's first two posts -- by that thread's starter (aka, its "original poster" or "OP") -- are just ridiculously wrong and misleading.

I have, however, added a third post to that thread which sets straight the record; and provides any Samsung Galaxy famly phone user -- particularly a Note II user -- with pretty much everything s/he needs to know about this subject.

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Actually, it is. And it does work.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Actually, yes, spinning the battery can be at least one way of determining if it's swollen; and, yes, it does work for at least that purpose... mostly. But it's far from the best way; and is mostly unnecessary, in any case. Moreover, it cannot necessarily tell if the battery's bad since even a battery that isn't swollen may nevertheless still be bad... and, actually, vice versa, truth be known. That said, yes, if a battery's swollen, then it should be replaced, just as a matter of good practice, no matter what.

Any not-swollen battery will lie completely flat, on both sides, on any (likely table or desk) flat surface. And by "flat," I mean that one should not be able to "rock" the battery, as if on a fulcrum, by pressing on any corner or side of the battery, when lying flat on either of its sides, and assuming that the table or desk on which it's lying is dead flat, itself. The reason spinning is a kind of nice way of doing it is that it can reveal a swollen spot even if the underlying table or desk isn't dead flat, itself; but all it shows is if the battery's swollen, which may or may not also mean that it's bad (though, again, if it's swollen, it should be replaced, regardless).

The only true way to determine if a battery's bad is to put it on a tester that's made for it, and which tests it under load. Most carrier device support centers (and, of course, Samsung; and any Samsung-authorized repair/refurbishment center; and many independent repair centers have such battery testing equipment (though I've seen several of their technicians nevertheless insensibly using the spinning method).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20