Note 2 won't charge

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 2 wont charge

Actually, yes, spinning the battery can be at least one way of determining if it's swollen; and, yes, it does work for at least that purpose... mostly. But it's far from the best way; and is mostly unnecessary, in any case. Moreover, it cannot necessarily tell if the battery's bad since even a battery that isn't swollen may nevertheless still be bad... and, actually, vice versa, truth be known. That said, yes, if a battery's swollen, then it should be replaced, just as a matter of good practice, no matter what.

Any not-swollen battery will lie completely flat, on both sides, on any (likely table or desk) flat surface. And by "flat," I mean that one should not be able to "rock" the battery, as if on a fulcrum, by pressing on any corner or side of the battery, when lying flat on either of its sides, and assuming that the table or desk on which it's lying is dead flat, itself. The reason spinning is a kind of nice way of doing it is that it can reveal a swollen spot even if the underlying table or desk isn't dead flat, itself; but all it shows is if the battery's swollen, which may or may not also mean that it's bad (though, again, if it's swollen, it should be replaced, regardless).

The only true way to determine if a battery's bad is to put it on a tester that's made for it, and which tests it under load. Most carrier device support centers (and, of course, Samsung; and any Samsung-authorized repair/refurbishment center; and many independent repair centers have such battery testing equipment (though I've seen several of their technicians nevertheless insensibly using the spinning method).

A voltmeter will do the same thing.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

A voltmeter will do the same thing.

Not unless it has a specific battery-under-load testing component.

As I have occasion to write many times around here, bone-up on Ohm's Law. A multi-tester/volt-ohm meter cannot test a battery for anything but its voltage, which remains the same no matter the condition of the battery unless its ability to even deliver voltage has been damaged (and, if so, then the battery will most likely be completely dead and unable to either deliver or receive any electricity at all); and which also has nothing to do with whether it can deliver its rated milliamps, and/or for how long. It's about current (amperage), not voltage... there's a difference... again, Ohm's Law.

And, of course, no battery's ability to deliver amps, and under what circumstances, and for how long, and/or how reliably, etc., may be determined unless said battery is under load. Standard volt-ohm multitesters, unless they have a battery-under-load testing component built-in to them, cannot do that.

Moreover, some cell phone batteries can actually be damaged by the loads imposed by not-cell-phone-battery-specific testers.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Not unless it has a specific battery-under-load testing component.

As I have occasion to write many times around here, bone-up on Ohm's Law. A multi-tester/volt-ohm meter cannot test a battery for anything but its voltage, which remains the same no matter the condition of the battery unless its ability to even deliver voltage has been damaged (and, if so, then the battery will most likely be completely dead and unable to either deliver or receive any electricity at all); and which also has nothing to do with whether it can deliver its rated milliamps, and/or for how long. It's about current (amperage), not voltage... there's a difference... again, Ohm's Law.

And, of course, no battery's ability to deliver amps, and under what circumstances, and for how long, and/or how reliably, etc., may be determined unless said battery is under load. Standard volt-ohm multitesters, unless they have a battery-under-load testing component built-in to them, cannot do that.

Moreover, some cell phone batteries can actually be damaged by the loads imposed by not-cell-phone-battery-specific testers.

But if it doesn't have minimum volts to operate, it won't work either.

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

But if it doesn't have minimum volts to operate, it won't work either.

Which my words "unless its ability to even deliver voltage has been damaged (and, if so, then the battery will most likely be completely dead and unable to either deliver or receive any electricity at all)" more-than-adequately covered.

You seem to be making the mistake of assuming that a swollen battery is automatically bad; or can't deliver voltage... even its rated voltage. You read -- no, actually read -- my earlier writing here on all this, right?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Which my words "unless its ability to even deliver voltage has been damaged (and, if so, then the battery will most likely be completely dead and unable to either deliver or receive any electricity at all)" more-than-adequately covered.

You seem to be making the mistake of assuming that a swollen battery is automatically bad; or can't deliver voltage... even its rated voltage. You read -- no, actually read -- my earlier writing here on all this, right?

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

This is a ridiculous solution; I wish there were a "thumbs down" or "dislike" choice.

You read -- no, actually read -- my earlier writing here on all this, right?

Your point being? There's been no rules and/or guidelines violation, here. Stop trying to intimidate people.

DesElms,

You seem like a very knowledgeable individual and we appreciate that in the forums. However the comments I quoted above didn't set a good atmosphere in the thread by first calling a previous poster's comments ridiculous and wrong and comments of dancing with dead cats, etc. That will always set a negative tone even if the information provided by you is indeed correct.

That said, we appreciate all contributions in the forums especially those coming from our AC Ambassadors which volunteer countless hours every day just like our Moderating staff and ask nothing in return except to be treated fairly just as any member should.

That said if we can keep this discussion/debate on topic and not allow things to get personal then all can benefit from this and learn something here.

Thanks,

Paul
Forums Moderator/Ambassador Team Leader.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

My GN2 stopped charging today. I tried two batteries and two chargers (both of which worked with another device). After finding and reading this thread, I recalled that I had gotten a bit of water on the lower part of my phone today. I turned it off, removed the battery, and cleaned the USB port. I used a tiny screwdriver with a bit of lint free lens paper wrapped around it, to which I applied a drop of Deoxit Gold contact cleaner (previously purchased from Amazon). phone is now charging just fine.

Toolman_Johnny

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Same problem here. Cleaned the Micro USB port with some electrical cleaner spray (battery removed at the time) and it has worked fine ever since.

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Funny how every thread I read with certain people (Mr Elms) responding to it, it ends up having a mod step in. Tired of reading novels in a tech forum.

Tru Won

May 8, 2013
Visit site

SOLUTION:

(in my case)

My Note 2 was new and it had charging problems. If I went back to the carrier, the slime buckets wouldn't give me a new phone, even though it was new, they'd give me a refurbished phone, so I said forget it. So I suffered with a very slow charge. Finally when I was wanting to get a new phone and sell my Note 2, I decided to contact Samsung directly about the slow charging.

The tech asked me to try another cord from another product. I had a Nexus 7, so I used that usb cord and plugged it into the charger and voila, it worked perfectly. So Samsung sent me (in the mail) a new usb cord and charger (the part that plugs in the wall).

So in my case, the slow charge and sometimes no charge had to do with a poorly made (in China) usb charging cable. On closer inspection, I saw that one of the copper pins inside the usb cable and the micro end was missing. It appears that Samsung techs knew that there was an issue with the cords because they knew to tell me to use another cord.

The new cord they sent me works fine.

ingemlb

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I think it is very bad that there are so many problems with the Samsung Notes not charging. I got caught out after 18 months with my Note 1 last year on the day we were heading overseas and needing the phone urgently the only option in the hour I had before heading to the airport was buying one on a new plan then waiting until my return and getting the old one fixed under warranty which I eventually did and am waiting until next month to have to stop paying for the original plan!!
Today my husband's new Note 2 (under a year old) has exactly the same problem. Luckily I kept my old note which is now fixed and he can use it whilst we wait 2 weeks to get his repaired under warranty. I did at the time also order a separate battery charger which allowed me to charge up the battery so I could turn the phone on to do a factory reset before sending it in for repair. Guess what. they have changed the battery size/shape with the Note 2 so the external batter charger won't work and I just ordered a new one to do the same to his phone before sending in for repair. It went dead very quickly and didn't give us time to do a backup or anything.
I am not VERY HAPPY with the Note phones now after reading all these problems on here!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I think it is very bad that there are so many problems with the Samsung Notes not charging. I got caught out after 18 months with my Note 1 last year on the day we were heading overseas and needing the phone urgently the only option in the hour I had before heading to the airport was buying one on a new plan then waiting until my return and getting the old one fixed under warranty which I eventually did and am waiting until next month to have to stop paying for the original plan!!
Today my husband's new Note 2 (under a year old) has exactly the same problem. Luckily I kept my old note which is now fixed and he can use it whilst we wait 2 weeks to get his repaired under warranty. I did at the time also order a separate battery charger which allowed me to charge up the battery so I could turn the phone on to do a factory reset before sending it in for repair. Guess what. they have changed the battery size/shape with the Note 2 so the external batter charger won't work and I just ordered a new one to do the same to his phone before sending in for repair. It went dead very quickly and didn't give us time to do a backup or anything.
I am not VERY HAPPY with the Note phones now after reading all these problems on here!

This happens on a lot of phones. It's not only the Notes. Batteries, USB ports and charging cables go bad with wear and tear and prolonged use.

misnoteII

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Hello there, I don't know if this is where I ask this, but I just cant figure it out how to start a question? First I just want to ask I had music on my SD card and something happened to them they corroded or something //so now I have no music I put my sd card into my computer to put music onto it but now it says there isn't enough room " because the apps I have on it? " I would really appreciate it I could get some help on how to move everything off my SD card and onto my device? I go into my settings and I can find it asking me to move it to my SD card ( where it already is) but noting saying to move it to my device? :( SECOND when I plug my phone into the laptop with usb it doesn't recognise it? ALSO it can only be charged shut off because if it is on it connects then disconnects and goes crazy, ....please can someone help me thank you .

Jeff Papineau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Same here,
took 20 minutes,
and ordered a $10 part on ebay,

fixed it right up..

I was surprised that my Verizon Note 2 (I605) had an L900 USB charger board in it.
(Maybe it had been replaced once already, or maybe the factory knows what parts are compatible
and just assembled it that way.)
I put in a I605 Verizon board and it works fine (as one might expect).

Thanks for the tip, saved me a lot of headaches.
And for everybody else, learn to work on your phone, if you own a Galaxy!

kellerblog

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
This may sound a little crazy, but it worked for me.

After my phone battery drained to zero and subsequently died, I couldn't get it to take a charge. I tried different chargers and charging methods. I tried the cleaning of the micro-usb port on the phone with needle method that some people suggested. Still no avail.

I hoped that perhaps by putting my phone battery in the freezer, it might reset the memory of the phone and let me charge it again.

After about 25 min in the freezer, I put it directly into my phone and low and behold, it began taking a charge, within about 15 sec.

At first it showed me a crazy boot screen, like the this string talks about http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-says-downloading-do-not-turn-off-target.html,

After leaving it plugged in with the crazy boot screen for a few mins, I pulled the battery and replaced it again and it began to work like normal.

I've already ordered another battery from amazon, but I'm grateful to see that it's at least working enough again.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Hope this might help someone :)

Holly Wilcox

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
my samsung note 2 is nealy 2 yrs old april coming and this is the 1st time i had problem with it.. it wont charge battey brought new battery and lead still nothing, it was been playing up for a while lie i had read voice get on coming on .... so it looking like USB port to fail

Paulina Dnld

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

hi, im having the same issues as a few ppl on here. My samsung galaxy note 2 wouldnt charge or keep a charge. ive read your msg about the cell being rooted and that it would be an easy fix i hope that works . my phone is rooted can you please tell me the steps to take. thanks

Are you rooted? I'm assuming your not. If you aren't it sounds like a faulty device and I would look into your warranty or if you bought it at a brick & mortar store take in to them. If it's your USB port, not a whole lot you yourself can do.

If your rooted, it could be a much simpler fix. Because it might be a ROM issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Dawnae Davis

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The network bars (on a full charge) on My Samsung note 2 would indicate there is no network and there is a red 'x' over the bars and about 5 minutes later my phone would die. This happens everywhere now (home, work, grocery store, movies-the same places I always go to) and I have wifi at my home and at my job (where I'm at most of the time) and I've never had an issue like this with any other phones. can I safely assume I need a new battery? I did the spin test as mentioned and it spins!! Any advise would be much appreciated!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The network bars (on a full charge) on My Samsung note 2 would indicate there is no network and there is a red 'x' over the bars and about 5 minutes later my phone would die. This happens everywhere now (home, work, grocery store, movies-the same places I always go to) and I have wifi at my home and at my job (where I'm at most of the time) and I've never had an issue like this with any other phones. can I safely assume I need a new battery? I did the spin test as mentioned and it spins!! Any advise would be much appreciated!

Yes, you need a new battery. If it were me I'd get one from Samsung. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34