New Note 2 owner with some questions

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

Ive had my note 2 for about 5-6 days now and still getting use to it. I am coming from a 32gb iphone 4s and was kind of bummed out that you couldn't put apps on the micro sd card. But then again its not that big of a deal ill just put pictures and other media on there and hopefully 16gb is enough (I had a ton of apps that I used on my iphone for school and my blog etc)

I was wondering if my battery life for my note 2 is normal. At 8Am my phone was 87% (overnight had lost about 12%) and at 1pm it was at 17% and mind you I was only browsing on instagram on and off. My brightness is less than halfway. Im not too familiar with this phone but the reason why I got it was because of how the battery life was supposed to be amazing compared to the iphone and im finding its just about the same.

I downloaded GS battery app but not quite sure what im looking at lol.

Im getting kind of disappointed with it because its already midday and I have to charge it. My friend recommended I return it. And im sort of leaning on returning it but thought id ask you all uour opinioj and maybe see if I could find something in the settings that I could fix?

I dont want to put the brightness all the way down because then honestly itd be like what's the point of having a beast of a phone if I can't use it.

I do miss some simple features of my iphone and am really tempted to return this but I do like this phone.

Also is there an easier way to navigate around the text box for example in instagram when im writing something in the text box (when uploading a pic) and I want to scroll up to the first word to proof read or navigate to the end. I dont know if that makes sense lol.

Lastly I installed a font and its showing everywhere except on my keyboard and some other places (like in my news fees on instagram) am I missing something?

Thank you in advanced and I do apologize for my silly questions but id truly appreciate your opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-04-13-21-55.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-04-13-21-55.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Screenshot_2013-04-04-13-22-13.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-04-13-22-13.png
    254.9 KB · Views: 191

markbencze

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
First of all battery apps do nothing. Theyre just crap full of air push ads.
Battery life is depending on many variables. I never keep my brightness turned low. I like a bright screen. You likely ha e too many aops rinning and arent actually closing them. How many email account do yiu have sey uo and hiw often do they sync etc. My recomendations is ti read a ton about rooting and understand how to do it and when youve read enough amd are confident you should root. Thats how you can really tweak your battery. If anyone out here says olay store battery apps work theyre ignorant. They do nothing to imorove performance as unless you have root access you cant tweak it.
Don't return your note2. Its the top phone you can get. I phone sucks

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi all!

Ive had my note 2 for about 5-6 days now and still getting use to it. I am coming from a 32gb iphone 4s and was kind of bummed out that you couldn't put apps on the micro sd card. But then again its not that big of a deal ill just put pictures and other media on there and hopefully 16gb is enough (I had a ton of apps that I used on my iphone for school and my blog etc)

I was wondering if my battery life for my note 2 is normal. At 8Am my phone was 87% (overnight had lost about 12%) and at 1pm it was at 17% and mind you I was only browsing on instagram on and off. My brightness is less than halfway. Im not too familiar with this phone but the reason why I got it was because of how the battery life was supposed to be amazing compared to the iphone and im finding its just about the same.

I downloaded GS battery app but not quite sure what im looking at lol.

Im getting kind of disappointed with it because its already midday and I have to charge it. My friend recommended I return it. And im sort of leaning on returning it but thought id ask you all uour opinioj and maybe see if I could find something in the settings that I could fix?

I dont want to put the brightness all the way down because then honestly itd be like what's the point of having a beast of a phone if I can't use it.

I do miss some simple features of my iphone and am really tempted to return this but I do like this phone.

Also is there an easier way to navigate around the text box for example in instagram when im writing something in the text box (when uploading a pic) and I want to scroll up to the first word to proof read or navigate to the end. I dont know if that makes sense lol.

Lastly I installed a font and its showing everywhere except on my keyboard and some other places (like in my news fees on instagram) am I missing something?

Thank you in advanced and I do apologize for my silly questions but id truly appreciate your opinion.

It looks like instagram is def your problem. Is it constantly trying to sync? Try sitting of instagrams auto sync and I think you will see a big improvement.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is depending on many variables. I never keep my brightness turned low. I like a bright screen. You likely ha e too many aops rinning and arent actually closing them. How many email account do yiu have sey uo and hiw often do they sync etc. My recomendations is ti read a ton about rooting and understand how to do it and when youve read enough amd are confident you should root. Thats how you can really tweak your battery. If anyone out here says olay store battery apps work theyre ignorant. They do nothing to imorove performance as unless you have root access you cant tweak it.

I read briefly about rooting and im terrified lol.

I am not using the stock email app im using the Gmail one and im not sure its sync settings. I am only able to see that it is synced to gmail.

I hold the home button until the task manager comes on and I end the apos that way. Is there another way?

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like instagram is def your problem. Is it constantly trying to sync? Try sitting of instagrams auto sync and I think you will see a big improvement.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Im not even sure how to change those settings for instagram?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You are getting 4.5hr screen on with 33% battery left. That is about right. How many hours of screen on time were you getting on your iPhone?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
You are getting 4.5hr screen on with 33% battery left. That is about right. How many hours of screen on time were you getting on your iPhone?

The 33% was when I was already charging it. Before I charged it, it was 17%

With my iphone I would have full charge at 7Am and at 12Pm it would be at 50% depending on what I did with it.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Too many people just suggest rooting as the cure all end all. As droidxcon pointed out there's clearly something up with the instagram app. And while many people love rooting some people just aren't interested in it.

The fact that someone who is brand new to android and posts a legitimate question and the first response is simply to root the phone... That disappoints me.

Fitmom, as another semi recent ios convert I hope you keep this phone. It's a great phone and I know I'll never go back to an iPhone. There's definitely some growing pains but I'm still happy I switched.

Sent from my Note 2

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It seems like you have a wakelock.

Don't worry this has nothing to do with rooting and stuff (don't know why someone suggested that, rooting is completely unrelated)

Basically, some app or setting is waking your phone unnecessarily, costing the battery life.

That battery monitor app isn't as useful as android's inbuilt battery monitor. Can you paste a screenshot of it plus the battery history details (by pressing the graph).

The note 2 can deliver around ~7 hours Onscreen time and lots more Off screen. If your getting less than 6, its likely due to a wakelock.

Sent from my GT-N7100

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The 33% was when I was already charging it. Before I charged it, it was 17%

With my iphone I would have full charge at 7Am and at 12Pm it would be at 50% depending on what I did with it.

Still not bad, I get around 5-6 hours screen on time on my note 2. What screen on time were you getting from your iPhone?

jblaze38

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've found that with most of my phones a full depletion or two of the battery is needed for it reach its peak performance. Use it until it shuts down, & then charge it. I use the power saving mode. Your screen will adjust automatically depending on light conditions. I've had my Note2 for a week & the battery is great! Had GS3 & iPhone 4 before that. Hope this helps!

Mr. Big

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Here is a sample of useful graphs with ~ typical note 2 performance

Sent from my GT-N7100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365116131446.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365116131446.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 84
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365116144547.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365116144547.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 202
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365116232026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365116232026.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 84

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Still not bad, I get around 5-6 hours screen on time on my note 2. What screen on time were you getting from your iPhone?

My Iphone would get 5 hours of on screen time. More if I was just browsing instagram or web less if I was using games.

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It seems like you have a wakelock.

Don't worry this has nothing to do with rooting and stuff (don't know why someone suggested that, rooting is completely unrelated)

Basically, some app or setting is waking your phone unnecessarily, costing the battery life.

That battery monitor app isn't as useful as android's inbuilt battery monitor. Can you paste a screenshot of it plus the battery history details (by pressing the graph).

The note 2 can deliver around ~7 hours Onscreen time and lots more Off screen. If your getting less than 6, its likely due to a wakelock.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Hopefully I did this right.

I dont know how to interpret the graph to be honest:p

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-04-15-57-56.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-04-15-57-56.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_2013-04-04-15-58-44.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-04-15-58-44.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 86

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
And maybe out of habit (because of my iphone) once it hits 40% it makes me nervous so I tend to chsrge the phone until its 100% I seriosuly fear itll die wheb I need it in an emergency (happened with my iphone) & I have 3 little ones so im sure you see why im paranoid my phone must work all the time lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My Iphone would get 5 hours of on screen time. More if I was just browsing instagram or web less if I was using games.

If you want more screen on time, i would suggest the Maxx HD. It has a larger battery than the note 2 and a much smaller screen. What kind of screen on time was your friend getting?

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
If you want more screen on time, i would suggest the Maxx HD. It has a larger battery than the note 2 and a much smaller screen. What kind of screen on time was your friend getting?

My brother has the maxx and recommend ed the maxx hd but I like the huge screen& the pen :)

My friend was getting 8hrs she said screen time. And she does the ssme stuff as me so im not sure what im doing differently.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21