Getting rid of some stock apps - which tool, is it safe or not?

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering ditching some of the stock apps on my Note II (for starters, some stuff from Google or Samsung I don't really need). I wanted to start with Chrome, All Share Play, and Group Play. ES File Explorer File Manager's application manager offered uninstall option for all, but it turned out it only uninstalled their updates (pretty much what the default application manager offers).
Which (free) option is supposed to be the best choice for this? Are there any apps on this device that are not "safe to remove" (i.e. they share something with the system, or with other parts of the device)? I know some apps use some sort of "shared user", for reasons unknown to me (thus making it harder to tweak separate permissions), but maybe that's not related.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Titanium backup can remove the bloat. Its almost a must have app if you are rooting and flashing stuff.

Or you can find a new rom to your liking. The one I use gives you the option to install what you want during the installation process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Is that only available in Pro version of Titanium? I have the free one, but I don't think I've encountered an option to remove apps.

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe you may have to buy the pro version to enable that feature. Also with TiBu there is an option where you can "freeze" the application. Freezing the app gives you a little more of a safety net just in case you need to restore the app.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Is "freeze" the same as "disable" in other apps? I got me RootAppDelete (free) yesterday. It also only uninstalled the updates only, then I discovered that the app (at least what's left of its default setup without the updates) appears under system apps tab, and I can choose "disable" from there -- which sends it to recycler tab, from where you can re-enable it should you ever need it again. But it's not available on the outside anymore (shortcuts and background services removed).
Which brings me to another question... what's the "Disable" button in the default Application Manager's view of an app's details for? Is this the same then, so do we need extra uninstallers in the first place?

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I just used the stock app manager to uninstall updates and disabled anything I didn't use or want. Seems to work just fine.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Is "freeze" the same as "disable" in other apps? I got me RootAppDelete (free) yesterday. It also only uninstalled the updates only, then I discovered that the app (at least what's left of its default setup without the updates) appears under system apps tab, and I can choose "disable" from there -- which sends it to recycler tab, from where you can re-enable it should you ever need it again. But it's not available on the outside anymore (shortcuts and background services removed).
Which brings me to another question... what's the "Disable" button in the default Application Manager's view of an app's details for? Is this the same then, so do we need extra uninstallers in the first place?

Go to application manager ----> all. Find you app and uninstall updates. After that is done the option to disable will appear.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Any idea why Samsung's All Share Cast is still shown in Settings / More settings? I uninstalled all traces of AllShare I could've found (Cast, Play, Service). Also, Play store app now shows availability for AllShareCast Dongle S/W Update (something I had to uninstall first). Shouldn't disabling and/or uninstalling stock apps remove reporting of their eventual updates from all store apps?

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Any idea why Samsung's All Share Cast is still shown in Settings / More settings? I uninstalled all traces of AllShare I could've found (Cast, Play, Service). Also, Play store app now shows availability for AllShareCast Dongle S/W Update (something I had to uninstall first). Shouldn't disabling and/or uninstalling stock apps remove reporting of their eventual updates from all store apps?

I couldn't get shot of all share either. I just left it.

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Did you also get the update I mention (maybe the two are related)?

What about SamsungAppsUNA2 -- I did remove Samsung store app, should I also remove this one (if it's related to the store app somehow)?

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Did you also get the update I mention (maybe the two are related)?

What about SamsungAppsUNA2 -- I did remove Samsung store app, should I also remove this one (if it's related to the store app somehow)?

Not sure about that one. I just disabled obvious ones. I didn't go all OCD getting rid of everything Samsung because I still use some of the Samsung stuff like for S-Pen. Also left the app store as wasn't sure which apps receive updates from the Samsung app store only.

Continuum88

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
And the final question... If a stock app is uninstalled (and I mean uninstalled, not disabled or frozen or stuff like that), is there any way to return (reinstall) it in the future?

EDIT: Also, I don't think any app receives updates from the Samsung store only (unless you specifically installed it from there). Because you need an account to use it, and there is no specific requirement anywhere that says "you need a Samsung account to use a Samsung device".

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
And the final question... If a stock app is uninstalled (and I mean uninstalled, not disabled or frozen or stuff like that), is there any way to return (reinstall) it in the future?

EDIT: Also, I don't think any app receives updates from the Samsung store only (unless you specifically installed it from there). Because you need an account to use it, and there is no specific requirement anywhere that says "you need a Samsung account to use a Samsung device".

You are better off having a samsung account for one. Registering your devices give you a 50% off coupon to be used on accessories and sometimes gives you 25$ playstore card.

Yes you can install certain apps again. Just check the playstore or samsung store to make sur3 its available to download. Or you make a backup with titanium backup and then restore individual apps at a later point.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk