What are the benefits of lockscreen apps?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
They allow you to customize your locksceen. They allow you to place different types of widgets and app shortcuts on your lockscreen . I used Widget Locker because I didn't like the weather widget that came with the stock Samsung lockscreen. The weather widget for the Samsung lockscreen would have issues updating the city if I traveled from one city to another. I used Widget Locker so I could use another weather widget. I'm not using Widget Locker at the moment because I'm no longer using a lockscreen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
They allow you to customize your locksceen. They allow you to place different types of widgets and app shortcuts on your lockscreen . I used Widget Locker because I didn't like the weather widget that came with the stock Samsung lockscreen. The weather widget for the Samsung lockscreen would have issues updating the city if I traveled from one city to another. I used Widget Locker so I could use another weather widget. I'm not using Widget Locker at the moment because I'm no longer using a lockscreen.

We have 5 icons on the lock screen as it is stock. You're saying they're not changeable?
I'd like to see a screenshot of someone's phone that's using widget locker.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Here ya go. I dont have many good widgets.
zuta7yzu.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't either.. No luck screen? My guess is he is using a launcher...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

herecomesmaggi

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Lock screen apps just makes your Lockscreen customisable, fashionable, elegant, and useful by removing and placing several widgets acc. to need.
Many users doesn't need, or like such apps but that doesn't means that it is useless.
I love widget locker due to its simplicity, its just clock and slider in my phone and i hate using same locker for days.
But it does consume Ram and is on list of startup. So low end users should avoid these pansies... :)

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
We have 5 icons on the lock screen as it is stock. You're saying they're not changeable?
I'd like to see a screenshot of someone's phone that's using widget locker.

The icons on the stock lockscreen can be modified, but you're only limited to 5. With Widget Locker, I was able to have more than 5 as well as being able to place them anywhere on the screen.
I also had it setup so that I could just tap the camera icon to open my camera app, rather than having to swipe up.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean when you say I don't use a lockscreen.

I don't understand what you mean when you say I don't understand what you mean when you say I don't use a lockscreen. ;)

Settings > Lock screen > Screen lock > None?

That means when I wake the N2 up by hitting the home or lock button, I go right to the home screen, and don't have to deal with a lock screen.

Or am I missing something entirely here?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You can set a phone to not have a lock screen by going through settings. Third party lock screen apps like widget locker and go locker change the appearance and functionality of your lockscreen. I would not recommend go locker as most go products run slow and laggy and push adds to your notification bar. Widget locker allows you to fully customize your lockscreen to anything you would like. You can add widgets, change the style of how you unlock ie. Swipe up, down, slide a bar, pull a ring, etc., change transition effects, etc. If you check out mycolorscreen you will see quite a few examples of what people can do with widget locker.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I guess the reason more people don't use a lockscreen, then, is because they don't know they can simply turn it off.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess the reason more people don't use a lockscreen, then, is because they don't know they can simply turn it off.

That, and sometimes it is quite easy to hit a button in your pocket and turn your screen on, depending on the screen off time it could drain your battery. I turned my lock screen off while using a themed launcher and found at times the launcher would take a second to catch up when the lock screen was disabled. A slight stutter. That could have been the launcher I used, though, as I have not been able to recreate the issue without a launcher and I have yet to try with a different launcher.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

What about security? Ever forget your phone anywhere? Have a friend walk by and pick it up off the table?

I haven't lost my phone, but I really don't want any of my data in the hands of someone else. With what smartphones now hold in terms of data, they are a gold mine for thieves.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
What about security? Ever forget your phone anywhere? Have a friend walk by and pick it up off the table?

I haven't lost my phone, but I really don't want any of my data in the hands of someone else. With what smartphones now hold in terms of data, they are a gold mine for thieves.

My husband uses the pin option for that reason. He has to wear pts every morning and they don't have pockets. The Joes he works with have no problem picking up your phone and going through it and or playing on it without permission.

PittiesRule

Banned
Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a good size credit burning a hole in my pocket in the play store and was about to purchase widget locker but then I read the reviews from people owning an N2. It seems that while using the app just pushing the home button will unlock the phone which pretty much negates having the lock in the first place IMO. I keep my phone in my front pocket and with the activities I enjoy the odds of accidentally pushing that button are pretty high.

Sent thru cyberspace by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
There's actually an option in Widget Locker to negate that. You have to set the home option so that it knows what to do when you press the home button.