Widget and battery life

alankchan

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to know whether putting up live widgets (eg: news, sports scores) on the homepage will consume more battery juice even when the screen is turned off? I often need to charge my phone so I am wondering whether the widgets have something to do with it. If so, is there a setting where I can disable the widgets from getting data when the screen is turned off?

Thanks in advance.

Alan.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you in an lte area? I get a day out of my battery, and I use it A LOT! LTE does suck the battery down more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

alankchan

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Are you in an lte area? I get a day out of my battery, and I use it A LOT! LTE does suck the battery down more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Yes, I am in an LTE area. but what I really want to know is whether widgets will consume data while the screen is off.

Alan.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am in an LTE area. but what I really want to know is whether widgets will consume data while the screen is off.

Alan.

yes it will consume data, but it won't be a significant amount. you can control this by setting the update/refresh period in the widget (for example, weather widgets have the update period in their settings, agenda widgets too, etc.). a typical widget can use about 100K of data for its update over a day (if set to hourly). so over a month, that amounts to about 3megs of data per widget (or 0.003 gigs per month). so it really isn't much. more graphics intensive widgets can consume more (flipboard).

please note: i'm using the new-fangled way of calculating mb/gb, not the true way (1000 v. 1024).

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Some widgets have settings you can change for things like how often they update our refresh and sometimes allow you to specify if they should be active when the screen is off. To be honest I can't see it being widgets which are killing the battery. It's more likely signal strength issues, a rogue background app or screen brightness.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
my mom was complaining about having to charge her S3 halfway through the day.....in the course of checking her battery status I noticed that....nothing was amiss. when i asked her if the battery status was red or yellow when she charged she was like, oh no i charge right away if i get down to 50%. I laughed and said thats still another half a day. I often wonder now when people question battery life, what the percentage is at which they HAVE to charge. I find when i'm trying to run my battery totally out that first time that it takes forever and a lot longer that I would really think even when I get to the RED battery of death symbol.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis