NFC, do you use it? If so how?

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
This is my first device with NFC and have yet to really use it. From what I read it isn't very popular or accepted here in the US yet, at least not here in South Florida.

If you use it, what do you use it for?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well here in Chicago basically everywhere its a pay pass machine I can use it including all the places that accepts Google wallet (home depot McDonalds walgreens foot locker certain vending machines).

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I use the NFC tags to automate functions on my Note 2. One for home turns on wifi and volume to 100% and turns off bluetooth, the car tags just swaps wifi and bluetooth and the key chain tag turn off both and turns on vibrate for work. On my Nexus 4 I also use tags but then also use Google wallet to pay for things as mentioned above.

Last edited:

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have NFC tags at home, work, and in my car. I have thems set up so when I start my day, I walk out the door and it turns off wifi, turns gps on, and sets ringtones to 100%. When I get in my car, it is set to turn wifi off (if it isn't already), GPS on, and launch the Amazon MP3 app. At work, when I walk into the office, it turns wifi on, cell data off, volumes to 0. When I walk out, it turns cell data on, wifi off and volumes to 80%. I have mine set to be a switch. Also gps access requires root, but this is how I use my NFC tags.

Also when I get home the same sticker turns on wifi, turns gps off, volumes to 50%.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

What are you using to program your NFC tags? I bought some from Samsung and using their app, TecTiles. However I don't see the option to turn GPS on or off.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

What are you using to program your NFC tags? I bought some from Samsung and using their app, TecTiles. However I don't see the option to turn GPS on or off.

I bought mine from tag stand and use their app to program them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Bombo_Strombo

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do. To turn settings on and off, to share webpages and pictures with people that are near me, set timers that I frequently set, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had it turn on WiFi and turn off mobile data when I am home. Also, I had it turn off the ringer when I an att work.

Although now, I just use Tasker which is more convenient add it is automatic.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

You cannot turn on GPS but you can turn on Navigation.

gvlakers

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Well here in Chicago basically everywhere its a pay pass machine I can use it including all the places that accepts Google wallet (home depot McDonalds walgreens foot locker certain vending machine

I use to love my Paypass feature on my debit card--how do you setup NFC to do it? I thought Google Wallet was only for certain markets? It's not downloadable for me. *confused*

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Google wallet does not work on the att note 2 without root. You have edit some files to make it work. According to google the note 2 is missing a capabilty that makes the google wallet NFC wireless signal more secure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I've just ordered some from rapidnfc. They should arrive on Friday! This is my first nfc device so it'll be fun to play around with it.

I'm planning on using nfc task launcher to create 3 tags. One for the car, home and work :)

I'll update with details on the tags I got and how they perform.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

XavierMatt

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've used it but most only for transferring pictures or Web links. Most of friends (non geeks) are aware of it.

Posted via Android Central App

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Got mine today from RapidNFC however they screwed my order yo and instead of six stickers they sent me six hang tags. I have emailed them.

What's the range on these then? How close has the phone got to be to the NFC tag?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the clear round NTAG 29mm ones. Only ordered 4 because they're quite dear. ..

I believe they've got a range of a couple of cms.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You have to be rooted for that, since its a system item Should have mentioned that, sorry if I got your hopes up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

You're both right technically. You need to be rooted too enable or disable GPS however you can enable Navigation to a defined destination.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
NFC Task Launcher is a really good App. There are a ton of settings you can change and actions that can be performed. They even show examples of what you could do with NFC tags in your car, home and office.

I use this app as well. I have tags at work (professional kitchen) set to auto start timers (5, 10, 15, 30 & 45min) when I scan them. I also have one on my keychain that turns on silent mode.

Posted via Android Central App

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Got mine today from RapidNFC however they screwed my order yo and instead of six stickers they sent me six hang tags. I have emailed them.

What's the range on these then? How close has the phone got to be to the NFC tag?

Can't fault Rapid NFC service. They've sent me the stickers I should have got in the order and told me to keep the hang tags as way of an apology! Happy days! Great company.

Now to go about programming them.

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got them today. I programmed one for at home and one for the car.

I've used nfc retag free because nfc task launcher didnt work for me...

The advantage of nfc retag is that it doesn't show the pop up for the action :)