Help! Can't hang up on calls!

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My Note 2 has a serious problem! I can't hang up on calls.

I dial a number and lets say I want to hang up before the call goes to VM -or the conversation is over and I want to hang up. Usually I take the phone away from my ear, the screen lights up and the option to end the call is displayed. No longer... Now the screen remains black, I can't hang up, and the home button and power button do NOTHING. I have to take the battery out of my phone to hang up or get any sort of response from the phone.

HELP! this is driving me nuts."Motion" is turned on. Don't know if that is doing anything.

Stock Verizon set-up, 4.1.2 JB.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
For me, typically when the other person hangs up it auto ends on my side so you shouldnt worry about that. You could try calling yourself from a seperate line after it happens to see if it wil activate your screen. Can you account for any apps that you recently installed right around when you noticed the problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I had the exact same issue. I researched for fixes, and could find none. Only to turn off the proximity sensor, (which I believe is what has malfunctioned) which left the screen on the entire time during a call. I took my phone into Best Buy and they replaced it no questions asked after they tried it out. They said they had not seen that issue before on a Note II.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't think of any apps recently installed, I haven't added anything new in a couple weeks.

Quite frustrating... I've had to restart like 8 times today.

From my Galaxy Note 2

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried turning on the setting that let's you hang up using the power button. I know you said the power button isn't responsive, but this may have it become responsive & usable again for you.

Double0EK

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Open your dialer. Make sure it's on the dialer and click the menu, be sure the option to hang up with power button is checked.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the dialer tip, that seems to help so that I don't have to do the battery pull. Not ideal but MUCH better.

From my Galaxy Note 2

Robert Spinden

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a galaxy s 4G that has the same problem only with my protective case on. I really want the case but it causes me not to be able to hang up the phone. I am not sure what to do.

Bezo Rito

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. My problem was due to the proximity/gesture sensor (the 2 black eyes at the right side of the earpiece). I have seen in effect that the screen goes black when this sensor is blinded. Try to put your finger on it and then take it back while the device is lying on a table and ringing or being ringed: you'll see the screen turned off and on. The same happens also when you put the device to your ear. For some reasons I can't explain, this sensor is sometimes able to detect the proximity but unable to detect no-more-proximity. The problem seems to be wide spread in the world. You can try to deactivate all gestures options and all motion options and auto brightness option. You won't get rid of the problem but at least this becomes less frustrating.

anon(6113537)

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this helps, I had the same problem. I tried several things and I think that after i disconnected "Increase volume in pocket", the sensor started working right again.

Edit: the problem returned. I find out that my problem was only out on the sun. At home the phone worked right.

What finally resolved my problem was using my wife's air drier near the earphone. It was probably dust on the sensor.

Last edited:

zelldac

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have had the same problem for some time as well. I have found, as previously mentioned the sensers on the top near the ear piece is the cause
All I did was remove the screen protector and it started working ok. I cut around the sensor in my new screen protector and make sure the sensor's are dust free at all times. Problem solved.

KevinJM

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
So I dont think this is necessarily a 'fix' per say but I found this only really happened to my phone when Advanced Task Killer was set on Kill Frequency - When screen off. I presume the combination of the SmartStay and ATK Auto-Kill drives the software crazy, just a thought. I have it set to 30mins now and haven't seen the problem since. :p

Akis Tzortzis

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Being unable to hang up during a conversation is one of the most frustrating issues ever and prompts the user to smash the phone into a thousand bits since there is no other way to hang up. Removing the battery is a second best.

It also happens on the iPhone.

It is because the developers of those systems (android and ios) have not yet realised that whilst in a call the phone should behave like a real phone and the "mute" and "hang up" buttons should ALWAYS be available. What happens however is that the screen locks or another application comes up and then you have to unlock the screen, look at the notification bar which shows there is a call in progress, click on that, get the dialler application back up on the screen and then eventually hang up. Much easier to throw the phone on the floor and smash it with something heavy, put it down the toilet, remove the battery if you can quick and so on.

A similar thing during the Pistorius trial the defense lawyer's phone started ringing and he was fumbling with it unable to switch the damn thing off. I bet the embarrassed lawer wished he had Oscar's gun to shoot the damn android to bits.

It's idiotic and fundamental, but then again the android developers are not better than trained monkeys so what would you expect.

eches00

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
After reading the forum it caught my attention the solution about making sure to clear up the dust in the sensor. I was having the problem as well but I realised that it was because I had the screen broken. One of the thousand cracks of the screen was justly placed over the sensor next to the earphone. Now that I have repaired the screen my Samsung galaxy s3 mini is working perfectly again.

Conclusion 1: Dust or cracks of a broken screen can cause the problem.

Conclusion 2: When you want to hang up the phone and it gets unresponsive everybody feels like smashing the phone against the floor. Don't do it, try first cleaning the dust or fixing your screen. I thought I was becoming neurotic but I am not ;)

Cheers!

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Why do people feel like beating their phone against somthing? Hit it, that'll work. Rawr! Hulk smash!

Good post, been wondering about my keyboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1