verizon and the nsa

soulstlr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
i must be missing something here...
isn't any person here bothered that their information was handed over to the feds (nsa)?
i, personally, do not believe that verizon is the only culprit in this breach.
do you actually believe for a millisecond that they do not have transcripts of conversations?
leave it to verizon to roll over and have the feds scratch their soft spot... what were they promised in return?
i hate to be a conspiracy theorist but with gps tracking your every move (for the sake of google maps right) and now
our conversations logged continuously perhaps we should just invite the nsa over for dinner.
i would give my address, but i'm sure they already have it...

soulstlr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
no offense...
a mere point "a" to "b" phone call is useless without a point of reference and context.
just because it requires a warrant does not mean it was procured.
how many times have we seen these trivial necessities ignored?
just food for thought...

also: how about holding the big "v" accountable and making them more consumer advocacy minded? nah... never happen!

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
All this data really does is say someone used your phone to call someone or text someone, what that number was, duration of the call and cell towers used to make the call.

Honestly, I use the phone and I pay the service fee to have the capability to mobile and connected at the same time. Ive never once thought that everything I've done was completely private. I dont own the network nor the towers my device connects to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

soulstlr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
i have to say that i think we are missing a valuable point: privacy is a right not a privilege...
what's next?
i don't own the store i get my groceries from either, but i surely don't expect them to investigate what i made for dinner.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Really, there are other things to worry about.

You have no idea about some of the other stuff (like your checking account, for example).

Just accept it is a small price to pay for living in our incredible country. If you can't, why don't you try Samsung's hometown of Korea. You'll be shocked.

Let's find ways to leave our own personal positive mark on the world instead of worrying about stuff like this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My friend asked me the same question and I told him that I didn't mind. I have nothing to hide and I don't consider any form of communication private other than a face to face in my own home. And even then you need to be careful with technology the way it is. :D

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
When i first heard the report I thought, whatever i have nothing to hide, but really thats not the point. the point is that there was no disclosure. if we know the information is being collected and we are ok with that then no problem, if we aren't good with that and want to try a different carrier (i'm sure the rest of the carriers have been asked for the same information also though i haven't heard that yet) then we should have that freedom. the point is that we should have the information and the choice.....freedom is what makes this country great. frankly given the revelations of the last couple of months accompanied by circus music in washington, i'm not sure i trust the government to do the right thing.....its pathetic.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
NSA taps in to user data of Facebook, Google and others, secret files reveal.
the guardian

so, are you still ok with it?

I don't use Facebook. Google is used for general search purposes. I do nothing secretive online anyways. So yes, I am still okay with it.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
NSA taps in to user data of Facebook, Google and others, secret files reveal.
the guardian

so, are you still ok with it?

This isn't anything new. They have been scraping FB for years for trigger words. Where have you been, it's old news.

You should be more concerned about the data mining companies that employers use to decide whether to hire you or not. There are no checks and balances on them at all.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

soulstlr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
where have i been?
i've been in combat... where have you been?
sitting at home enjoying the benefits?
all of this bothers me... i didn't shed blood to have it eroded piece by piece.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Google products for the last few years so I'm sure all my "private" information is already out there. So no, this report didn't really bother me.

Edit: I meant that this report in particular doesn't bother me since I've already resigned to the fact that my personal info is already being monitored and sold by Google, Facebook, etc. That does in fact bother me a little, but it is what it is. That's how they make money.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
where have i been?
i've been in combat... where have you been?
sitting at home enjoying the benefits?
all of this bothers me... i didn't shed blood to have it eroded piece by piece.

Uh, yeah. I'm 56. My father served, my entire family are cops. So forgive me for not joining the military after 9/11.

My point was that this stuff has been going on since 2002 and the enactment of the Patriot Act. It's been all over the news for the past 10 years, hence my comment about where you've been. Relax, it was a rhetorical question, not literal. Sheesh.

via Gnex

soulstlr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
to msndrstood: i apologize if i took your statement too literally.
not unlike your family, mine has been career military for generations and public servants.
i feel this quote sums up my position succinctly,
Benjamin Franklin put it best when he said: ?Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
to msndrstood: i apologize if i took your statement too literally.
not unlike your family, mine has been career military for generations and public servants.
i feel this quote sums up my position succinctly,
Benjamin Franklin put it best when he said: ?Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.?

I understand completely.

The data mining issue is more disturbing to me because they do have our personal information. And, they are private companies that have unseen control over our lives and answer to no one and they do it for profit. Whereas, the government is collecting phone numbers and following up on leads that can help keep this country safe, not for profit and they have to answer to the American people.

Private corporations are scarier to me than the government any day.

Just look at the banking industry...

via Gnex

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
if it will prevent another 9/11 or Boston marathon then I'm Ok with it. I have nothing to hide and am not doing anything illegal online or over the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i must be missing something here...
isn't any person here bothered that their information was handed over to the feds (nsa)?
i, personally, do not believe that verizon is the only culprit in this breach.
do you actually believe for a millisecond that they do not have transcripts of conversations?
leave it to verizon to roll over and have the feds scratch their soft spot... what were they promised in return?
i hate to be a conspiracy theorist but with gps tracking your every move (for the sake of google maps right) and now
our conversations logged continuously perhaps we should just invite the nsa over for dinner.
i would give my address, but i'm sure they already have it...

It bothers me. The government can not be trusted your Constitutional rights have been infringed on very badly over the years by our government. Please all of you read the Constitution , Bill of Rights , Federalist Papers. Call your government reps & raise H.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using AC Forums mobile app

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
When i first heard the report I thought, whatever i have nothing to hide, but really thats not the point. the point is that there was no disclosure. if we know the information is being collected and we are ok with that then no problem, if we aren't good with that and want to try a different carrier (i'm sure the rest of the carriers have been asked for the same information also though i haven't heard that yet) then we should have that freedom. the point is that we should have the information and the choice.....freedom is what makes this country great. frankly given the revelations of the last couple of months accompanied by circus music in washington, i'm not sure i trust the government to do the right thing.....its pathetic.

You can't trust the government. Wake up people. :(

Sent from my SCH-R950 using AC Forums mobile app

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
They don't need warrants that's a bunch of bs the USA pays taxes to England the Queen literally owns the USA look it up

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2