Thinking of 'downgrading' to the note 2

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all the way over from the htc forum......

So i have an awesome HTC One, I love it but this being my 1st phone over 4.3" made me realise I really want a larger screened phone, also a better battery life! (Mines not **** but can't match the note im guessing) so my options are to wait and get a note 3 (or whatever phablet HTC throws out) or go for it now with the note 2. I know this is a note 2 forum and it will be biased but how much of a downgrade will this be for me?

1. Don't use the speakers that often, but is the one on the note2 good enough?

2. Lower screen res and a bigger screen means a big jump in PPI, how do u all like it?

3. Lag? How much? The one is really fast zero stutters, how does the Exynos chip hold up against the snapdragon 600?

4. Will I be able to cope with a two handed device? I know that ones a bit personal preference but I can (just) use my HTC for most tasks one handed, is there a one handed mode for dialing and typing? How did you all cope with the change when you went 'phablet'

Will miss some of since 5 stock apps but I'm sure I'll find replacements that will suffice!

I know its an older handset and it won't match a 2013 device in some areas but asking if its not too much of a jump down!

Sent from my HTC One

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The note 2 is a great device. It is fast, with minimal if any lag, especially with animations turned off in dev options. There is a setting for one hand typing and dialing. My husband has no issues with using his phone and he has really small hands. The screen is nice, even though it's not 1080p. Compared to my droid DNA, I can't see much of a difference other than saturation and color rendering, meaning I don't see pixels or anything. The screen will suffice. The battery life is awesome, normally 2 days with a full charge and heavy use. The speaker is hit and miss, honestly. It is loud if cupped, but the placement makes it very easy to accidentally cover, and if covered, it will drastically if not almost entirely reduce the sound. It is decently loud though. The note 2 has no issues handling many running processes. My husband will play Pandora, play a graffically intensive game, and switch back and forth between YouTube videos and web browsing simultaneously without a single stutter. Although a year old, the note 2 is definitely not obsolete. The wacom s-pen technology make sure of that.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I came to the Note 2 after getting an HTC One as well. I got the One as my foray into Android, and just loved it. After a few weeks though, I found myself desiring a bigger screen and a bit more battery life too. I bought the Note and have been absolutely LOVING it. It lasts me an entire day with heavy usage, and still has some more left in it usually. I found myself not even using my iPad anymore, as the Note is like a 4G mini tablet. To address your points though:

1) The speaker on the Note is actually quite powerful. Did NOT expect that at all. It's not as good as the One, but it's definitely adequate.
2) I actually prefer the Note 2's display. The PPI is lower, but the colors and size make it a winner. I find LCD displays a bit washed out now actually.
3) The One wins here, hands down. The S600 outperforms the Exynos, and Sense is lighter on resources. The Note 2 doesn't really "lag" though, and like Jennifer said, turning off the animations helps, even though I personally like the smoothness the animations bring.
4) There is an adjustment period for sure. It took me about 3 days to get used to Note's size, but now that I have I find the One too small. And there is a setting for one handed dialing and keyboard.

The Note 2 may not be the newest device out there, but I personally find it to still be the best "phone" on the market. It's just so damn useful, and fun to use.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I think you would be happy with the note 2. It's the best phone I've ever had and I've had a ton of them. The size took me about a week to get used to. Really the only bad thing I can say about it is that the screen can be a bit hard to see in the sun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bwhick7492

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on the jump. I had the note 2 and jumped to the HTC one. I really liked it but kept wishing I had my note back. So I sold it and got another note. You just can't beat the battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I love my note. It's perfect perfect size.... I'm not herding the note 3 and am hoping hard that someone will grab the 5.5 inches because to me that's the best phablet and cell phone size for today:)
Great fur watching movies, and reading and skiing lists etc etc etc
I was considering giving to my husband, and get the HTC one...... now I'm not too sure.; '(
Whatever you decide has to be what's best for you.
YOLO lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674