Unfortunately, S Note has stopped working.

cjbrigol

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Every time I try to open S Note I get the above message. This is really frustrating because I have some important work stuff in there. I'm on the latest stock rooted rom for the T-Mobile version from [-::STOCK::-] SGH-T889 Factory Images, Roms, Kernels, & Modems (Updated 06/02/13) - xda-developers (I'm on the 6/2 release Odexed version). I'm not sure if this started happening after flashing that, but I think it did.

I backed up my S Note folder, and I've tried wiping the data, freezing unfreezing the app, all kinds of stuff. I have no idea what to do. I can still double tap with the S Pen to take a note, and it'll save it, but after that I can never open it again. I really need some help.

Thanks everyone.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The problem you have is not uncommon with that application. Until a resolution is reached, look at Lecture Notes. I have lost 1 file with Snotes and no problems with Lecture Notes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought. Since you're rooted you could try using Rooter Explorer to run the S Note apk. This may help clear up the crashing process. Mine lives here: /system/app/SnoteT0.apk

cjbrigol

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought. Since you're rooted you could try using Rooter Explorer to run the S Note apk. This may help clear up the crashing process. Mine lives here: /system/app/SnoteT0.apk

Worth a try, but it didn't fix it. Thanks anyway.

I can't believe this is a known issue. I've never heard of it. If I do a factory reset will it work again? Not that I want to do that, but I need those notes!!!!

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It has been discussed in several forums. Due to the need to often import several pdf files into one document, Snores has never filled my requirements. After the loss of one document, I started looking elsewhere.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Worth a try, but it didn't fix it. Thanks anyway.

I can't believe this is a known issue. I've never heard of it. If I do a factory reset will it work again? Not that I want to do that, but I need those notes!!!!

Sorry this didnt help. I agree the issue is not good as S Notes is a "key feature" within the overall Note 2 package. As for a factory reset, I quite honestly don't know if that will help. Back up everything you care about before a factory reset. If you're using don't restore any of your apps/system data via Titanium Backup as that may reintroduce the problem if somehow a prior restored S Notes version had issues.

Probably remote chance, but I wonder if the stock rooted ROM image you flashed may have had an issue that is enabling or triggering the S Notes crashes. Given bclinger#IM's response it appears that this is a known issue, so the ROM angle could be a red herring.

I use my S Pen and S Notes less than I thought I would, so likely haven't used it enough to run into the problem yet.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It has been discussed in several forums. Due to the need to often import several pdf files into one document, Snores has never filled my requirements. After the loss of one document, I started looking elsewhere.

Good to know. Is there a forum thread that clearly captures the issue and provides workarounds?

cjbrigol

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry this didnt help. I agree the issue is not good as S Notes is a "key feature" within the overall Note 2 package. As for a factory reset, I quite honestly don't know if that will help. Back up everything you care about before a factory reset. If you're using don't restore any of your apps/system data via Titanium Backup as that may reintroduce the problem if somehow a prior restored S Notes version had issues.

Probably remote chance, but I wonder if the stock rooted ROM image you flashed may have had an issue that is enabling or triggering the S Notes crashes. Given bclinger#IM's response it appears that this is a known issue, so the ROM angle could be a red herring.

I use my S Pen and S Notes less than I thought I would, so likely haven't used it enough to run into the problem yet.

Yeah I use it for work so I use it often. I've already backed up the S Note folder (it has every file I've made) and found a way to open them on windows. I think I'll try a factory reset as that was the main thing I was not wanting to reset. And don't the notes back up with your samsung account anyway?

For anyone curious, you can put the files on windows and change them to .zip. You can then open them and somewhere in there you'll find a picture of your note.

Alam07

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
i had same kind of problem with s note after flashing it with a custom ROM in my gtn 8000. It troubled me alot but finally got the solution by installing languages in keyboard setting.
go to setting>language and inputs >click on settings of Samsung keyboard>choose Handwriting> choose Input languages

u will see lot of languages to download.
download any one of them........................ wait for finishing installation...

Hope it works for u as it did for me.
if does nt work no hard feelings..

Alex Pullan

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Whoever you are that suggested changing the language settings to recover SNote is a LEGEND. That worked and I'm very happy even though I have no idea why that would fix the issue.
Big thanks and anyone with the s note has stopped working issue should try this!

John McHale

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree I agree I agree! Did everything the useless t##*#*ts at 3 and Samsung wanted my phone in for "repair" for two weeks! This worked a treat, wish I knew this before I did the factory reset though! This was all down to the update I had a couple of nights ago

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
:( Didn't work for me ... any more ideas?

BTW Updated to 4.3 and also have swiftkey

Update: loaded the widget to my home screen and can now access S Note with no FC

Last edited:

Prettynurse7

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
i had same kind of problem with s note after flashing it with a custom ROM in my gtn 8000. It troubled me alot but finally got the solution by installing languages in keyboard setting.
go to setting>language and inputs >click on settings of Samsung keyboard>choose Handwriting> choose Input languages

u will see lot of languages to download.
download any one of them........................ wait for finishing installation...

Hope it works for u as it did for me.
if does nt work no hard feelings..

Prettynurse7

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much to Alam07 my problem with my S note has been sorted i just followed the instructions you gave and done! Problem solve! Even Samsung representative cannot help me but you did A big THANK YOU for your help! :)