Best tablet to compliment note 2 - note 10 or 8?

katrose08

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've searched the forums and websites but I'm having a hard time coming up with an answer. I currently have a Note 2 and iPad 3. I would like to get one of the Note tablets to replace my iPad but I can't decide. I know the size difference between the 2 and the 8 is not that much, but for some reason I'm leaning towards the 8. Right now I use my iPad for web browsing, Facebook, videos, and reading mostly, with a couple of games. I do find it a bit heavy to hold for an extended period of time when I'm reading.
Is the Note 8 too redundant when I already have the Note 2? But I'm worried that that 10 might be too big.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've searched the forums and websites but I'm having a hard time coming up with an answer. I currently have a Note 2 and iPad 3. I would like to get one of the Note tablets to replace my iPad but I can't decide. I know the size difference between the 2 and the 8 is not that much, but for some reason I'm leaning towards the 8. Right now I use my iPad for web browsing, Facebook, videos, and reading mostly, with a couple of games. I do find it a bit heavy to hold for an extended period of time when I'm reading.
Is the Note 8 too redundant when I already have the Note 2? But I'm worried that that 10 might be too big.

My personal opinion (doesn't make it right nor wrong) is that people look to purchase the Note 2 so they have the best of both worlds in one device. I purchased a Note 2 in the past and while I loved it at home while browsing and reading I simply found it too big for on the go, everyday use. The purpose of the Note 2 is to give someone a device they can almost use as a phone and tablet, hense the phablet terminology often used when referencing the Note 2. I would think any Note tablet is a little redundant when you already have a Note 2 which is huge for a phone LOL. If you really want a tablet my recommendation would be to sell the Note 2, pick up a phone a little smaller and that is easier for everyday use and then use your tablet when you need it.

Wishing you the best - it is ultimately your choice. Follow your gut! :)

katrose08

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I do like the Note 2 because of it's "phablet"-ness for every day use, but sometimes at home I want something bigger. I was thinking the Note line because then it's just like a bigger version of my phone, which I love, and I would have all the same apps.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I do like the Note 2 because of it's "phablet"-ness for every day use, but sometimes at home I want something bigger. I was thinking the Note line because then it's just like a bigger version of my phone, which I love, and I would have all the same apps.

You are welcome :) We only live once right? Make the most of it, important to treat yourself and if you want a tablet to compliment your phablet then you should certainly purchase one LOL. The Note line would compliment your phone nicely - no question about that!

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
To follow up, if you are looking for a tablet I would go with the Note 10.

The Note 8 is midsize and would be great if you were going to be taking it everywhere with you but since you have the Note 2 my guess is you would only be using the tablet at home. In knowing that, I would get the Note 10 for it's bigger screen size. I believe (don't quote me) the specs are quite similar and the main difference is screen real-estate.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the original galaxy tab 10.1. Love the size. And I am a note2 user. If I was in the tablet market it would be the 10

sent from my amazing Note2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Since you have an iPad, and can still use it for surfing the web, the 8 inch tablet might work well for you. I do like the size of my iPad and another 10" tablet, but as you've stated, it can become a little heavy when used for extended periods of time.
I like the form factor of my Nexus 7, but I don't use it as much as I should because it's not as fast as my Note 2, and stock Android seems a little stale in comparison to all of the features that Samsung has added. The Note 8 seems tempting to me as well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the Note 2 which is my phone that of course goes everywhere. I also have a Nexus 7, a Xoom, and the Note 10.1.(yes I'm a gadget queen Lol)
I can tell you honestly that my Note 10.1 and the Xoom sit 99% of the time. Sure the 10.1 is a great tablet, and I adore it for many of the same reasons I do the Note 2, but, it's just easier to pick up the 7 if I'm going to be on a tablet for an hour or more. Lighter weight and more convenient when it comes to size in general.
If I had it to do over again I would buy the Note 8 instead of the Note 10.1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Until 2 weeks ago I had the Note 2 and iPad 3, I got the Note 10.1. My reasons for not even considering the Note 8 were the small size difference between it and the Note 2 primarily.
As a digital artist I really wanted the larger size of the 10.1 and the lack of truly good pressure sensitive stylus overruled the better drawing/painting apps for the iPad.
Being a senior I like the larger size of the Note 2, because it makes everything much easier for me to see, and the 10.1 size is so much better for drawing for me.
I personally don't see enough of a size difference between the Note 2 and Note 8 to justify spending the money on it.
As far as the weight for reading, I don't find that a problem because I can just lay it in my lap and see it fine, I do the same for drawing and if it isn't at the right angle a small pillow fixes that. :)

I've not had any problem getting used to the size of the Note 2 at all, I just carry it in my purse instead of in a case with a belt clip.

I prefer the screen resolution of the iPad, but I prefer nearly everything else of the Note 10.1, once I get the SD card adapter for the 10.1 I'm pretty sure the iPad will be for sale.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I have the note 2, note 8 and the 10" transformer prime.......i gave the transformer to my daughter because i just didn't use it. i love the note 8, it's easy to use with one hand, take notes with s pen, and when i need a bigger than 8" screen i found i was skipping the prime and heading for my laptop. the 8" is easy to carry around and i use it more than my note 2 these days. It truly is the sweet spot for tablets for me.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I have owned the GNote 1 and 2 and my tablet of choice is the GNote 10.1. I really appreciate the extra real estate especially when browsing the web. I haven't had the chance to play with the GNote 8 and look forward to seeing it but I can't recommend the GNote 2 and 10.1 as a great tandem enough!

saxojon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
As a Note 2 and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 user, I find having a 10 inch tablet for bed side reading and TV watching quite comfy. My Note's 5.5 inch screen is too small for viewing videos imo, but its perfect for ad-hoc working and discrete web surfing. So a big tablet at home and a big phone to go is my preferred choise. :)

Posted via Android Central App

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 2 and got the Note 10.1. That turned out to be a mistake. While the Note 2 is always with me for taking notes, the Note 10.1 was not, and I virtually never used its S Pen. I really can only see it being useful for students who take a lot of notes or those who need it for some profession-specific purpose (art, design, etc.). Also, the screen resolution on the Note 10.1 is relatively crappy -- 1280x800, pretty much the same as the 1280x720 on the Note 2. I returned it and ended up getting the Nexus 10. Still a Samsung, but updates will arrive from Google the moment they're out, and a much, MUCH better screen resolution -- 2560?1600. No SD card expansion on the Nexus 10 doesn't bother me -- I never used it on the Note 10.1 because I have a 64GB card on my Note 2 for the music I always want with me, and I have more than 64GB in music anyway, so all of it has been uploaded to Google Music and I can play it all on my Nexus 10 with the Play Music app.

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 2 and an iPad 2.

Honestly, if I'd had my Note 2 at the time I wouldn't even have bothered with a tablet. I don't even use it now.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 2 and an iPad 2.

Honestly, if I'd had my Note 2 at the time I wouldn't even have bothered with a tablet. I don't even use it now.

Exactly my point....once i got my note 2 never really used my transformer prime, but the note 8 is the perfect size inbetween and i now use it more than my note 2.

MercuryStar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
As an owner of the Note 10.1 I say go for the Note 8.0 (or neither).

The Note 10.1 just gets uncomfortable due to its larger size and weight, is less portable, and typing on it is awkward unless it's on a stand or propped up on something. Typing while holding it is very cumbersome. The S-pen is great and handwriting recognition is not terrible, so at least that's an option. But I think Note 8.0 would be a lot nicer to hold for long periods.

I know the size difference between the 2 and the 8 is not that much

I'd strongly disagree. The Note 8.0 is many times bigger, is not pocketable, and must be used in an entirely different way due to its size (eg thumb typing). It's well and truly a tablet. It has a large bezel for gripping it by the size whereas the Note 2 you grab it around the back like a phone.

Image comparison: http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/story/70/00/015643/notes-8-and-2-600x562.jpg

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of the Note 10.1 I say go for the Note 8.0 (or neither).

The Note 10.1 just gets uncomfortable due to its larger size and weight, is less portable, and typing on it is awkward unless it's on a stand or propped up on something. Typing while holding it is very cumbersome. The S-pen is great and handwriting recognition is not terrible, so at least that's an option. But I think Note 8.0 would be a lot nicer to hold for long periods.

I'd strongly disagree. The Note 8.0 is many times bigger, is not pocketable, and must be used in an entirely different way due to its size (eg thumb typing). It's well and truly a tablet. It has a large bezel for gripping it by the size whereas the Note 2 you grab it around the back like a phone.

Image comparison: http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/story/70/00/015643/notes-8-and-2-600x562.jpg

Have you tried SwiftKey Tablet? It allows you to separate the keyboard to facilitate typing. I have it on my GNote 10.1 and love it.

MercuryStar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried SwiftKey Tablet? It allows you to separate the keyboard to facilitate typing. I have it on my GNote 10.1 and love it.

Thanks, I have tried it but it's still awkward for me. The weight of the device is still a factor. For me it's OK for a small amount of typing.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance