Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lpt2569
  • 1 Post By Jude526
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Buying the Note 2 when the Note 3 comes out for lower price?

My 2 year contract with Verizon ended sometime in March, but I never got the time to pick up a new phone.
    I really want the Note 2, but with the Note 3 coming out in September/October I'm hesitating.

When the Note 3 comes out, I'm hoping the Note 2 price will drop to $99 (It already dropped to $149 on Amazon with the upcoming release of the Note 3), which will be a lot more affordable than the $299 it started out at. The problem is, I'm going on a business trip and the Note seems like it would be incredibly helpful for both a long flight and for business.

Should I wait 2 or 3 months until the price of the Note 2 goes down, or just get it now before my trip?

Default Re: Buying the Note 2 when the Note 3 comes out for lower price?

given that no one knows anything about the Note 3 specs or features, how are we suppose to advise you on this? It's the nature of the electronics market. these phones depreciate when new models come out. Given your logic, at what point do you jump in, in 2016 when the Note 6 comes out? If you need the phone and love the phone, get the darn phone. All this and you're waiting for another drop in $50 on a $600 phone...

Get the Note 2 now either through VZW or on eBay/craigslist, then sell it when the Note 3 comes out.
    mmohn01 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hey Internet_Tough_Guy,

There's no need to be rude and there's no shame in saving a little money in this economy.
    And since I'm not even interested in the Note 3, the specs don't matter to me. I only wanted some input from other users.

Just to be clear, specs on the Note 3 are have been partly released. Don't be a complete jerk if you don't know what you're talking about.

Note 3 want be release to carrier until November

AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I thought I saw the Note 2 on Amazon for $79. I was just telling a friend not too long ago that there is a benefit to buying the previous generation device. If you aren't concerned about the latest and greatest, a previous generation device can be ideal. The operating system most likely will be stable. Hardware issues should be fixed. And there will be a lot of accessories on the market. Plus the prices are a lot cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by catch221 View Post
    Hey Internet_Tough_Guy,

There's no need to be rude and there's no shame in saving a little money in this economy.
    And since I'm not even interested in the Note 3, the specs don't matter to me. I only wanted some input from other users.

Just to be clear, specs on the Note 3 are have been partly released. Don't be a complete jerk if you don't know what you're talking about.
    He didn't really seem like he was being rude, just honest. As for Note 3 specs im not sure where you're getting your info because ive only seen speculation and rumors. You'll know the specs when Samsung tells them. I'm just sayin.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

I have the Note2. Its so worth it. I paid the contract price. Love the phone and all it does. No remorse

sent from my amazing Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

i just got a note 2, i am happy, but if you are always waiting on bigger better you will always wait. there will always be something with newer processor or what not, as soon as you buy something theres always something that comes out that you think is better. get what you thinks suits your needs and be happy

My Note 2 serves me well and I am happy about it. You dont need to wait for the Note 3, if you really need a new one now. As for being the latest and greatest, its all about you being contented and happy with what you have. As long as your device can still serves its purpose. Sure thing though, Samsung will release updates for our Note 2 when a new release of Android OS would come. I was very happy with Samsung's after sales service. My P6200 which I bought 1.5 years ago, was on HC, then became ICS and now its JB because Samsung has released software updates for it.

Just wait for a sale, the note 2 was $50 before on contract from Verizon

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

My 2 year contract with Verizon ended sometime in March, but I never got the time to pick up a new phone.
    I really want the Note 2, but with the Note 3 coming out in September/October I'm hesitating.

When the Note 3 comes out, I'm hoping the Note 2 price will drop to $99 (It already dropped to $149 on Amazon with the upcoming release of the Note 3), which will be a lot more affordable than the $299 it started out at. The problem is, I'm going on a business trip and the Note seems like it would be incredibly helpful for both a long flight and for business.

Should I wait 2 or 3 months until the price of the Note 2 goes down, or just get it now before my trip?
    If you are ok with refurbs, then that would be the way to go. I have 2 friends that picked up the note 2 for $1 and they have the same warranty as if it were brand new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

The Note 2 is a great phone. Go ahead and get it.
    And to those who speak of not waiting for the next generation of electronics, the new and best on the shelf is already obsolete because the developers are already working on the next 2 or 3 new and best.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Love my Note 2. No regrets. Very fast phone and has no trouble running any apps. Dunno what the Note 3 could have that could be a must have feature.

Hey Internet_Tough_Guy,

Note 3 specs already released huh? Maybe you should start your own rumors blog site. Look, all I'm saying is you're asking GN2 owners whether their phone is great, we're all going to say yes, especially since there are absolutely no comparative against the GN3. So the answer will always be the same from us: buy it if you can afford it or if you love it, sell it if you love the GN3 more in November. There's no other points of data out there to allow us to help you make this decision based on the criteria you gave us.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Just wait for a sale, the note 2 was $50 before on contract from Verizon

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Hopefully there's another one. I just noticed Verizon's got it @ $299, up from $199. What da heck...

Rumors I'm seeing say Note 3 to be introduced September 4, no idea when will be available after that, and suspect whatever it is will take longer for Verizon to get it. Guess it also depends on what you have now. If it is working well for you or just needs a clean wipe and restore you could hold out for another 3 months. Prices for Note 2's on Craig's list seem to already be dropping some and probably continue to. I'm waiting for Note 3 but that's me. I'd feel like I'm missing out on something quicker since Note 2 getting closer to it's relative obsolescence.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    Rumors I'm seeing say Note 3 to be introduced September 4, no idea when will be available after that, and suspect whatever it is will take longer for Verizon to get it. Guess it also depends on what you have now. If it is working well for you or just needs a clean wipe and restore you could hold out for another 3 months. Prices for Note 2's on Craig's list seem to already be dropping some and probably continue to. I'm waiting for Note 3 but that's me. I'd feel like I'm missing out on something quicker since Note 2 getting closer to it's relative obsolescence.

The Note 2 is nowhere close to be obsolete any time soon.

The Note 2 can handle everything you throw at it. lf you can get it cheap, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastnv View Post
    The Note 2 is nowhere close to be obsolete any time soon.
    Yes, that's why I used the phrase "closer to it's relative obsolescence" because it is all relative. My 17 month old Galaxy Nexus would be considered obsolete but still quite functional but some would say it's obsolete. So the Note 2 was released 9/2012 so it's about 9 months along. So about 8 months away from where my Galaxy Nexus is. I don't want to get a phone and feel where I am now in 8 months. I'd rather wait 3 months and get 17 months or so. But yes its all relative.

Heck, see whenLTE-Advanced comes out, it will speed up the process.

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    If you are ok with refurbs, then that would be the way to go. I have 2 friends that picked up the note 2 for $1 and they have the same warranty as if it were brand new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Where can you find it for that price? Did your friends buy it online or from a brick and mortar store?

Thank you!

Send from a Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    Yes, that's why I used the phrase "closer to it's relative obsolescence" because it is all relative. My 17 month old Galaxy Nexus would be considered obsolete but still quite functional but some would say it's obsolete. So the Note 2 was released 9/2012 so it's about 9 months along. So about 8 months away from where my Galaxy Nexus is. I don't want to get a phone and feel where I am now in 8 months. I'd rather wait 3 months and get 17 months or so. But yes its all relative.

Heck, see whenLTE-Advanced comes out, it will speed up the process.
    agreed, my opinion is, smartphone hardware improvements would have minimum impact in the next year. Most improvements would come in software and apps (some of which requires hardware improvements). For what I use the GN2 for, this phone will meet my needs for the next 3 years. All I cared about was LTE data access, big screen, and speedy processor and RAM so my phone doesn't lag. Check, Check, Check. And personally, for me, i also hit a homerun on the overall ownership cost over the next 3 years since I use T-Mobile and I purchased my GN2 as a preowned phone off ebay.

I can't wait for the LTE Advance launch. I believe our GN2s should have no issues using the LTE Advance correct?

Quote Originally Posted by pcsperson View Post
    Where can you find it for that price? Did your friends buy it online or from a brick and mortar store?

Thank you!

Send from a Galaxy Note 2
    I believe that att had it at that price, but I believe that att warranty on refurbished was 90 days

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote Originally Posted by Internet_Tough_Guy View Post
    I can't wait for the LTE Advance launch. I believe our GN2s should have no issues using the LTE Advance correct?
    No current US phones support LTE Advanced. Only LTE Advanced phone I know of is an LTE Adv version of the S4 released in Korea. T-Mobile says they are deploying LTE Advanced "features" whatever that means. I'm sure Verizon working on it too.

You do realise that these figures ($299, $149, $99) have nothing to do with what you're actually paying for the phone, right? They are just the upfront part of a subsidised contract plan.

Thus it's entirely up to the carrier and however they choose to set the upfront price, and they pull it totally out of their rear - but the real payment for the phone is the fact you're stuck on a contract (and/or the handset is locked).

I paid $690 for my phone outright and run it on a pre-paid plan at like $20 a month.