New to Android and the Note 2

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, after 6 years with BlackBerry my wife and I have both made then move to Android. I picked up a Note 2 and her a S3. It has been one week now for each of us, and let me say, it has been a enjoyable week.
All our fears and worries about not understanding and thinking that the Android OS would be to much were quickly shut down. We got the hang of our new phones in no time.
The options and abilities seem to be endless. We thought that our new BlackBerry's (the Z10 and Q10) were going to be the best devices for us, now we don't know why we even tried. Can you tell that we are enjoying our phones?

Anyways, more onto the point of this post. As I have said, we have gotten pretty accustomed to the Android OS so far, however there are a couple things I haven't been able figure out.

1. Is there any way to delete the book marks that come preloaded in the browser? There are so many crap ones that we will never go into.

2. We have tried to do a Skype video chat between the two of us with no success. We can each see ourselves in the little corner screen, but the main screen of where the opposite person should be just remains black. The audio is clear though. Just no video.
Any ideas?

I am sure I might have a couple more questions as I get more into the Note. Thanks everyone!

One last comment. Let me say that this SwiftKey keyboard makes transitioning from a physical keyboard a breeze. I can already type a gazillion words a minute...(slight exaggeration)

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 2!

zaydabarber

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to note 2 family go on YouTube and watched videos of it I had mine for month I'm still learning

AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I hope you are enjoying your Note 2 experience. Welcome onboard. I got my Note 2 a few weeks back and i am completely enjoying it. I hardly put it down. :). Though initially i had some tense moments when i could not figure out how to get my Notes and Contacts (with pics) out of Outlook and into Note 2. Those are dealt with now and i am simply loving this phone.

Anf about deleting the preset bookmarks, simply tab and hold each one for 2 seconds or so, and a sub-menu shows up, delete option will be present there, tab on it, comfirm it, and you are done :).

In skype, did you Enable the v-call while setup/first time opening the skype app ? The app generly asks for that permission.

Also while on a v-call,, look for icon or sign that looks like a camera, it is probably at the bottom, beside the disconnect and microphone signs. Click on it and check which camera is being used for the particular call. Change and check. I think that had solved my problem i had this same issue :)

I hope this help you :).

On Note 2 using Android Central App.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Anf about deleting the preset bookmarks, simply tab and hold each one for 2 seconds or so, and a sub-menu shows up, delete option will be present there, tab on it, comfirm it, and you are done :).

On Note 2 using Android Central App.

Thanks for the welcomes!

I have tried to delete the book marks this way with no luck. When I press delete there is a little bar that pops up near the bottom that says this book mark can't be deleted.
There are 13 book marks that I can't delete. Some seem to be the Rogers Wireless crap that they put on the phone. Others are Wikipedia and Mac leans, etc. I can't even move my own book marks above of these ones so I don't have to scroll down to them every time. (call me lazy)
Any other ways to delete these?

dellagregg

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Most of us Veteran android users don't really use the stock Web browser. I personally use Firefox. I can sync bookmarks on my pc to my phone with this also. Give a third party browser a try. There are a few good ones to choose from.
Firefox
Chrome
Dolphin.
Check them out and find one that fits your needs.

Sent from my gorgeous Galaxy Note II aka CJ.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I have been giving chrome a try and absolutely hate it!
Firefox isn't too bad. It will take some getting used to, but I think it will work.

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the welcomes!

I have tried to delete the book marks this way with no luck. When I press delete there is a little bar that pops up near the bottom that says this book mark can't be deleted.
There are 13 book marks that I can't delete. Some seem to be the Rogers Wireless crap that they put on the phone. Others are Wikipedia and Mac leans, etc. I can't even move my own book marks above of these ones so I don't have to scroll down to them every time. (call me lazy)
Any other ways to delete these?

Glad to hear that you are liking your new phone.

The preset bookmarks can be deleted using apps like Bookmarks s&b or Bookmark folders
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.happydroid.bookmarks&token=YtIkuAkj
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.dynamicg.bookmarkTree&token=zTSO0LPC

If the preset bookmarks also appear in other browsers like chrome :
Go to the app manager and disable
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
When you restart chrome the preset bookmarks should be gone.

BTW is there any particular reason that you dislike chrome? Could recommend some good browsers if you are looking for some particular features.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips Hypo.

I just didn't like the feeling of Chrome. Felt too bubbly and kid like for me. If that makes any sense?
I also couldn't find any setting to enable a reader mode. If there is even one for Chrome. Reader mode is a must for me. The ability to get rid of all the other crap on a Web page and get the article is key.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I also have a question about the Play Books app. It seems to be a great app to read books on the Note. Is there any way to transfer ebooks that I already have from my computer to it?
Or must I purchase them from the Play Store?

Any other suggestion on what apps would be good to read ebooks on?
Preferably free, I have plenty of books on my PC that need to be read.

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried the pocket app. It's a very popular offline reader app. And many third party browsers have plugins for pocket. It also has great support for amoled screens.
I don't know too much about e-book apps, so can't help you there.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I also dont like to use Chrome so much. I have been using the browser that came with the phone.

HypoDest can you mention a few names of apps regarding the Vpblaze's question in post #12. It will be help me as well as currently i am using only Google Books.

Thanks

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
No probs with that :).

I was talking to a friend about thee same thing abd he adviced me the Foxit reader app. I will have to try it out :)

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yet another question.
Slowly I am figuring out more and more options with my Note. This phone really is awesome.
Is there any way though that I can choose my own email notifier? As opposed to the list that comes preloaded? I have several right ones and notifier saved to my SD card, and would like to enable one of those for my email.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I have managed to find details on how to set up my own Notifications from another thread here.

Another question though,
How am I not able to take screen shots?
Is it not as simple at using the power/stand-by button with the home button at the same time?
I have also tried that method on my wife's S3 and it still won't take a screen shot.
Any ideas?

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I have managed to find details on how to set up my own Notifications from another thread here.

Another question though,
How am I not able to take screen shots?
Is it not as simple at using the power/stand-by button with the home button at the same time?
I have also tried that method on my wife's S3 and it still won't take a screen shot.
Any ideas?

On the S3 try the volume down button and the power button. On our beloved Grote you can take a screen shot by holding the button on the Spen and long press the pen on the screen until the shot is taken.

Posted via Android Central App

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Randall.
I just tried the SPen way, and that worked. Is there anyway to do it without the pen?
No dice on the S3 though.....

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Randall.
I just tried the SPen way, and that worked. Is there anyway to do it without the pen?
No dice on the S3 though.....

Try the palm swipe option under Mition. I tried it sometime back. It worked too. S pen not needed. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463