Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MercuryStar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Incorrect time

    My note 2's clock is losing time. I have it set to auto retrieve from the network (telus) and its off, sometime upto 15 minutes wtf? Reset or flight mode will temporarily solve the problem. I've tried to even manually set the clock faster and it still loses time. Someone please advise it is pissing me off, my sms are all in messed up order cause of this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    Quote Originally Posted by bovid View Post
    My note 2's clock is losing time. I have it set to auto retrieve from the network (telus) and its off, sometime upto 15 minutes wtf? Reset or flight mode will temporarily solve the problem. I've tried to even manually set the clock faster and it still loses time. Someone please advise it is pissing me off, my sms are all in messed up order cause of this.
    Have you tried restarting your phone? I had this problem in my acer liquid E ferrari a very long time ago. It is a lag in the system that restarting would fix it.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    Quote Originally Posted by bovid View Post
    My note 2's clock is losing time. I have it set to auto retrieve from the network (telus) and its off, sometime upto 15 minutes wtf? Reset or flight mode will temporarily solve the problem. I've tried to even manually set the clock faster and it still loses time. Someone please advise it is pissing me off, my sms are all in messed up order cause of this.
    If it's set to update from the network, and the time is wrong, then it sounds like the network's fault. Usually, if your phone fails to get its time from the network it'll tell you with some sort of notification, but if it succeeds in getting the time from the network but that time is wrong, you won't see any such notification.

    The fact that the problem goes away on flight mode seems to support that theory.

    I'd say your network's time service is unreliable and you may need to set the time manually. You can also use an app called clocksync to help you set the device's time accurately - if set manually it should stay pretty accurate, +/- 30 seconds per month.
    Darth Spock likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    Quote Originally Posted by MercuryStar View Post
    If it's set to update from the network, and the time is wrong, then it sounds like the network's fault. Usually, if your phone fails to get its time from the network it'll tell you with some sort of notification, but if it succeeds in getting the time from the network but that time is wrong, you won't see any such notification.

    The fact that the problem goes away on flight mode seems to support that theory.

    I'd say your network's time service is unreliable and you may need to set the time manually. You can also use an app called clocksync to help you set the device's time accurately - if set manually it should stay pretty accurate, +/- 30 seconds per month.
    He tried setting the time manually and it still slows down.

    Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    I'm sorry, I meant restart not factory reset. Restart only temporary resolves problem. As of last night I've lost a minute already. I did not have this problem until 5 days ago, I am currently travelling in the mountains, I too believe it's a network problem but as tasty says I have tried manual an the thing still falls back so now I am confused. I've read about clocksync but I don't really want to have to root my phone just to fix the clock that is ridiculous.
    I am On 4.1.2 if this phone lags from no use over night to lose a minute, I am very disappointed, that I got to restart it daily.
    Last edited by bovid; 07-12-2013 at 07:03 AM.
  6. #6  
    Dog5000's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    Quote Originally Posted by bovid View Post
    I'm sorry, I meant restart not factory reset. Restart only temporary resolves problem. As of last night I've lost a minute already. I did not have this problem until 5 days ago, I am currently travelling in the mountains, I too believe it's a network problem but as tasty says I have tried manual an the thing still falls back so now I am confused. I've read about clocksync but I don't really want to have to root my phone just to fix the clock that is ridiculous.
    I am On 4.1.2 if this phone lags from no use over night to lose a minute, I am very disappointed, that I got to restart it daily.
    Just wondering, are you roaming on another providers network? Perhaps as MercuryStar points out the current provider has issues with their NTP infrastructure.

    The other possibility is that there could be a bug in your OS, or with a clock widget or app. I say this per the issues noted in this thread. Sure sounds similar to your problem
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    I shouldn't be roaming on another network, telus is a Canadian national provider, but idk their tower agreements. Strange thing here is my wife's blackberry on the same network is fine but I'm thinking that's due to bis
    I'm thinking it's a network problem since I am in the mountains, I'm sure lte 4g coverage is spotty at best and I'm probably dropping in and out of coverage.
    I read that issue already too, but there is still no resolution to that problem. For now I've been flipping into flight mode a couple of times a day to reset time.
  8. #8  
    Dog5000's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    Cool. Thanks for posting more. Agree that your wife's BB is a good comparison point. I haven't used BB in a while and forgot about BIS as a possible source until your mention. Think you're probably onto something here.

    I was operating under the false assumption that Android OS have a native NTP client. At least on my phone I didn't get results for searches on "ntp.conf". Reading through this post indicates that carrier network communications have different methods, and possibly that the NTP client functionality is buried as a system level function. Toggling GPS appears to be a possible option.

    Another consideration is to use an NTP client. Play Store shows a few, but not sure how safe they are to use per the required permissions.
    If you can, let us know what you find out on the root cause.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    My understanding of nitz or ntp is lacking, though I believe my problem is linked to one of these 2 in some fashion. I never considered gps, but which could be explained since they current area I am in my garmin gps drops in and out of signal. But if I am going into flight mode doesn't that turn off gps, wifi and radio? If I am restarting that does the same too?Which is why I can get a temporary fix.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    I'm starting to think gps is the problem. As i have been noticing my weather app is not updating my location. And even if I try to manually update its not finding where I am at.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    update - i am back in an urban area, the city with good coverage and over an 8 hour time period i lost roughly 2 minutes. so there goes the gps theory.
    completely fed up, i called telus mobility, tech support there says he has seen it before, he says it either one of two things. try to use only automatic date and time (use network provided time) or automatic time zone. do not use both, he states he has seen this problem in many android devices. so i will try automatic date and time and see
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    Quote Originally Posted by bovid View Post
    update - i am back in an urban area, the city with good coverage and over an 8 hour time period i lost roughly 2 minutes. so there goes the gps theory.
    completely fed up, i called telus mobility, tech support there says he has seen it before, he says it either one of two things. try to use only automatic date and time (use network provided time) or automatic time zone. do not use both, he states he has seen this problem in many android devices. so i will try automatic date and time and see
    Hopefully it works.

    Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    update -using only automatic date and time(use network provided time) lost me about 2 minutes the other day.
    setting time to be within 1 second of atomic clock with use network provided time unchecked lost me 4-5 minutes over night. automatic timezone was checked.
    so now i am completely lost for words, i am utterly pissed off. great phone, but seriously clock drift
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    well i gave up, i rooted my phone and put clocksync on it. ridiculous that the clock is off. so freaking annoying. i am averaging drift 280-320 second per day.
  15. #15  
    Dog5000's Avatar

    Posts
    561 Posts
    Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    Quote Originally Posted by bovid View Post
    well i gave up, i rooted my phone and put clocksync on it. ridiculous that the clock is off. so freaking annoying. i am averaging drift 280-320 second per day.
    Sorry, I lost track of this thread. Thanks for posting back the issue status and workaround details. While rooting has some pluses, I agree that to fix the drift - rooting seems to be more than anyone should have to do.

    In the event it helps, my phone is set to use the network provided time and time zone. I'm on Verizon, and based on looking at my cable box and tablet times, that my phone is not drifting. It almost makes me think that Telus has a time problem.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    bovid's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

    Default Re: Incorrect time

    i agree rooting to get time sync to work is extreme.
    i also agree that this is a telus network problem. as i can be upto 5 minutes off when i wake up in the morning with my phone on my bedside table. it will be back to normal after 2 minutes if i go downstairs into my kitchen.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  2. Timing of 4.2.2 update for different versions ?
    By undertrip in forum HTC One
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  3. Nexus 4 Charging time...
    By Mike_47 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
  4. is it time for a new phone?
    By 06klr650 in forum HTC EVO Design 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Posting Permissions

B