Google maps update!

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Looks like GMaps has a neat lil update! It looks nice .. but what do you think? What features have u noticed changes to?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm hearing the latest update now includes dynamic re-routing to help avoid any traffic bottlenecks. This really excites me. I currently use Waze, which was recently purchased by Google, but its dynamic re-routing leaves a lot to be desired. Google maps doesn't offer police alerts like Waze, but I'm expecting Google to incorporate it in the near future. As far as look & speed of the application.......I like it.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Can you go back and use the old map if you don't like the new one?

Posted via Android Central App

You go back to the Maps version that was originally on your phone. Apk after that to get last ver. From the reviews the new update is HORRIBLE and I won't be updating. I use Maps too much for their brand new interface and deleted features.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
You go back to the Maps version that was originally on your phone. Apk after that to get last ver. From the reviews the new update is HORRIBLE and I won't be updating. I use Maps too much for their brand new interface and deleted features.

Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting for a better version than.
I like the current map for what it is and am not in a real hurry.

LadiJae

May 30, 2010
Visit site
And it isn't always waking my phone now! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Jae, tap'n on my Sexy White Galaxy Note 2~

cjbrigol

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
The new maps are pretty but that's about all I'm enjoying. Remember on the old maps when you'd get directions (not navigation) and you could click the dots along the route that would tell you the next step? Those are gone and it's BS. I'm assuming google is just trying to force ppl to use navigation for some reason.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I just navigated a trip from Long Island to Pennsylvania. Google Maps did not re-route me around the traffic backups. There doesn't seem to be any information on these new features online. Very frustrating. Guess it's back to Waze.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Take some time and test it out before you freak out. I use maps religiously and I really enjoy the update so far and if you actually take the time to learn your way around I don't think you'll find any loss of functionality (yes you can still go step by step through directions).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Grue

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried using it for navigation yesterday for the 1st time. To begin with, it wouldn't actually start navigating. I entered the address, and it said 'no network available' despite a full signal, and everything else on the phone working. After popping out the battery and restarting, it decided to work. The new interface is nice and clean, and the maps look nice. However, the information at the bottom, including the time to destination, which now changes color based on traffic rather than the old 'stoplight' indicator, were very hard to read in direct sunlight. I also noticed that the map was full of landmarks - everything from stores to cemeteries, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of them, as you could with layers in the older versions.

The biggest issue for me is that I couldn't figure out a way to get an overlay of traffic on the map while navigating, which is the primary view I used in the old version. Living in Boston, avoiding traffic is a constant issue and without being able to see the live traffic on the map, the app becomes a lot less useful. You can go into the route overview and see it, but that's not really feasible while driving. Based on that, I reverted back to the last version until they get this functionality back.

mark1123

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You can't use the map without navigating somewhere. I like to just have the map up even when I don't need navigation... That's gone.
Still no speedometer? Unbelievable.
Back to Waze.

haw1144

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
doesnt look like they fixed the contact search issue yet? i remember i was able to search for a contact's name and their address would come up in an earlier version of maps/navigation

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
doesnt look like they fixed the contact search issue yet? i remember i was able to search for a contact's name and their address would come up in an earlier version of maps/navigation

Works on mine

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to "search along route" with the latest version 7.5? I've continued to use version 6.14.4 because I've been unable to locate this feature since the UI change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699