Another reason not to buy cheap 3rd party accessories

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Another reason: I am not going to invest in a $700 phone only to charge it using a cheap $5 charger. I always buy genuine batteries and chargers!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Another reason: I am not going to invest in a $700 phone only to charge it using a cheap $5 charger. I always buy genuine batteries and chargers!

Truth. It's especially noteworthy (see what I did there) in using 3rd party batteries. They often are only up to 50% of the rated capacity.

MercuryStar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Cheap chargers are fine, but go for genuine batteries.

What we call "chargers" aren't really chargers. The charger is in the phone. What we call chargers are simply power supplies. The changer inside the phone regulates the charging voltage and current.

If you are electrocuted by the power supply then it's probably got exposed, shorted wires or something. A decent cheap power supply won't do this.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It could also be a power surge which caused the charger to malfunction. Notice how these are usually not from the USA, but in Asia or whatever. For every one story reported at a news agency, there are others that had bad results(damaged phone or charger) but perhaps no bodily injury

I usually use only OEM chargers and batteries.

If money is an issue, you can use other manufacturers chargers. I use the charger from my new ipad or touchpad to charge my note II. The palm charger also works well, though only 1a

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II