Maps using my battery?

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I have a bit of a question I'm hoping you can all help me with.

Basically my note 2 battery has been excellent since I've had it but recently it seems to be not as good. Its not terrible but sometimes I need to charge it the same day. Thats unusual for a note 2. I notice now that maps seems to be the highest battery using app except for the screen. I'm sure it never used to be as I take a look very now and then. I've turned off Google now but this morning it's still second.

Any ideas?

Posted via Android Central App

mrscaston30

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Are your setting set for wife or 4g? Whenever I use my maps, it asks me to set it to wife so it can get an accurate location from me so maybe yours is in the background searching for something. Do you use your maps at all? It shouldn't be using power unless you've been using it. If you hold the button on front of phone for 30 seconds, it will open up the running apps, once in there hit the trash icon and it will close running apps. See if that helps.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
first off that guy loves his wife for auto correct to say wife instead of wifi lmfao^^^^^

Screen shot it maps has always done this in the background its subtle but im thinking its got a lot to do with location based advertising or the nsa spying on us via google

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Cheers. I just took a screen shot but can't see how to add it here.

See the little camera icon??? tap that select gallery and find the screen shot and hit tap the pic and it will add it once you hit submit it post it

Attachments

• 1379510844977.jpg
    1379510844977.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 16

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I had to download the Android Central forum app to upload a pic. I use the Android Central app not the forum one. That doesn't have the feature to upload photos. I don't even use maps at all so its annoying to see it on the screen shot. It never used to appear in the past

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1379514613163.jpg
    1379514613163.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If you arent using gps alot then this is using location status. Basically its using cell tower triangulation to find your appr location. It does this alot and most apps and internet sited constantly request your location. There is a setting on the phone that turns this off. When off you will get a popup requesting your location for any app or site who wants it. You can decline most of the time and continue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Would you say that it's ok then? Its just that maps never really used to show up before unless I'd actually used it

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You didn't turn on Google+ location sharing did you? It will use the Map app all the time to share your locations with your Google+ Circle.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Just done a quick check. I'm not sharing anything like that with Google plus

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Maps just got a major app upgrafe recently. Whenever I hear people say well it didnt use to be that way..should understand about app updates, if you like something the way it is then dont update. Things may change and youay not like the outcome.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Maps just got a major app upgrafe recently. Whenever I hear people say well it didnt use to be that way..should understand about app updates, if you like something the way it is then dont update. Things may change and youay not like the outcome.

I'm not sure that's the right way to think about it. In the description it tells you about awesome new features so you update. So I would like it if it's better. They don't tell you they are going to kill your battery by running the app constantly

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes this is true. I have personally used the android app making software that google gives away for free. Alot goes into making apps optimized. Its very difficult to optimize for the countless phones and software versions of android. Its a tossup on whether an updated up fixes existing problems while not creating new bugs in the process.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll just stick it out for now and see what happens. I've uninsulated loads of apps that could use location services to try and improve it

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Well also they combined navigation with maps mite have something to do with it maps has always ran in the background for me and im talking eclair days

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Updates are driving me mad at the minute. Had a twitter update today too. Cant even tell what the improvements are but now my gps stays on so I've had to disable location for Twitter.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Told you everyone want to know about your location so they can give you location based advertising and let the nsa spy on us

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Well this morning I've had over an hour or so of usage and no sign of maps at all. I think I've stopped it. Could have been twitter or Google now.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Go into maps and turn off location history and auto detect location.

It will be on by default but I don't need location history or auto detect my location.

Try that it should help allot.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad