"Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available" but I didn't install any custo

JayBern

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
"Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available" but I didn't install any custo

Trying to check for an update for my os but got prompted that my device have been modified. I did not root my device or install any other custom rom or os.

I have the screen shots but I don't see an option to upload from the app.

Please help?

Posted via Android Central App

JayBern

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available" but I didn't install any c

Just checked my Settings > about device > status > device status and it states "Modified"!

I did not do any modifications! Is there something that I may have done that caused this?

Is there anything I can do to revert this?

brucesmays

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available" but I didn't install any c

This happened to me also. Unmount your sd card, reboot the phone without it. Check for the update. Then reinsert the sd card

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

This happened to me also. Unmount your sd card, reboot the phone without it. Check for the update. Then reinsert the sd card

What does that do?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Where did you buy your Note 2?!?
It might have been modified without you knowing...e.i. ebay, unknown source or second hand.

JayBern

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Yes I did just that and it worked. Status changed from modified to normal. It's weird how my class 10 sd card can change the status.

Too bad I don't have any updates as well. Apparently the update to 4.2 or 4.3 will only come later this year or even early next year. I just can't wait to shift my heavy apps to my sd!

Maybe I should just get the note 3 haha.

tweedyster

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

hi. i have the same issue, but i don't have an sd card.
thanks

Salim Almalki

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

I know that I have this bad habit of tinkering with all the devices I get my hands on which made me wonder if I had rooted the wrong android device yesterday night during my random research :-o. I then checked my other device which was a Android S3 and noticed that it was rooted which kind of assured me that I did nothing that could cause this error on the S4. Googling this error showed me "N" number of pages mentioning that this error means I had goofed up the kernel and I can no longer update my phone and its warranty stands VOID. (yea.. a serious WTF moment). Not that I care about the stupid warranty, but I had resisted messing around with the device for 4 days already just to be sure that I had used it properly before it dies :D

Then, after reading 100+ random posts and spending some hours trying to figure out what could have possibly gone wrong, I came across this post. The reply on the thread by "vferrari" solved the problem for me with a little tweak.
Below are the steps I had to do to get the phone back to a condition where OTA updates are again functional:
Un-mounted the inserted SD card.
Restart the device.
Go to Android recovery mode by pressing the Power + Volume down button.
Select the "Wipe cache partition".
Restart the device after successful wipe.
Continue the normal steps for OTA android update.
After the above steps, I was able to successfully solve the problem and update my device. I re-inserted the SDcard, but did not face the error again.

Zbigniew Rodowski

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I have removed the card and still DEVICE STATUS shows Custom :( any other ideas?

Silver Wav

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

Hi All,

I have a SGN 1 and received this error today, found this thread...

I have no extra storage card installed.

Saw that my phone was rebooting and checked to see if for some reason it had auto updated... received the "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available" EM.

Swapped the battery rebooted and waited for internal USB to be recognized then checked status.

Took a while to check update server but came back OK.
:cool:

4Runnersurf

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

If you want to add your heavy apps to your external sd card, you need not to wait for the update. Just use gl to sd app and it will solve your internal storage issues. Currently I have over 20 huge game apps on my galaxy s3, all saved on my external micro sd, thanks to the app. Yet I still have an extra 12gb left on my 32gb card. Hope this helps.

Sisitha Nanayakkara

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

Thank you verymuch for your solution. I had the same problem and after following the above steps I was able to update my s3 normally.. The device status became "Normal"

James Bourne2

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

I have a similar issue to this but my status says 'custom'. Any ideas how I get my s4 back to factory settings, so I can do a software update? I was sold this phone being told it is rooted. I have tried for 2 days to unroot, failing at every attempt. Just tried root checker to discover the phone isn't rooted. But won't update either as says it has been modified. What do I do to reset all this myself?

addicttech

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

i have a similar problem too. i rooted my device a month ago. just now i want to update the software but it says something like that too. i tried the android recovery but it won't work. please help. how do i software update my phone. is it possible to software update if i unroot my phone?

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
If you have rooted your phone or have brought a rooted phone in which 4.2 or later on it which means Samsung Knox was installed. Chances of getting a update by regular ota channels are zero. Basically the warranty was voided because Knox was tripped.

mahboob khan1

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

hey .. i try all da methodx but still show that fone is modefied ...

Yogesh Arora5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site

Thanks alot for the trick. Just saved my device from getting a factory/hard reset :p

Jozef Gjoni

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

will this thing will factory data my phone , delete apps delete root , delete photos or anything ?

xtianjohn

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

How to change ?? Bcz I dont know how?? Pls help me. Same issue.