Galaxy Note II - the forgotten flagship...

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You'd be forgiven for forgetting that until the Note III arrived, the beloved Note II was Samsung's flagship 'phablet'. Also its most neglected...

This official Samsung infographic is the symbolic death of the Note II by its makers. Effectively says 'the Note II is a poor choice, buy our shiny Note III'. Clearly Samsung aren't seeing the Note II to Note III upgrade numbers they expected.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381747901514.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381747901514.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 255

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You'd be forgiven for forgetting that until the Note III arrived, the beloved Note II was Samsung's flagship 'phablet'. Also its most neglected...

This official Samsung infographic is the symbolic death of the Note II by its makers. Effectively says 'the Note II is a poor choice, buy our shiny Note III'. Clearly Samsung aren't seeing the Note II to Note III upgrade numbers they expected.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
It's not necessarily forgotten its just been succeeded with a newer model. Was the OG Note treated any different when the Note 2 came out? The Note 3 is an all around better device than the Note 2. Samsung is just focusing on the current and the future.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Clearly Samsung aren't seeing the Note II to Note III upgrade numbers they expected.

Why? If 95% of the Note 2 users were upgrading, do you think they wouldn't be trying to get the other 5%.

I can't actually read your image because it is so lo-res, but it appears to be some sort of N2 to N3 comparison. If so, doesn't every phone manufacturer try to get you to upgrade to the newer model. In fact, can you think of any industry that isn't always trying to get you to move to the latest release?

Note and Note 2 users are the perfect people for Samsung to target, because they have already show they don't mind the larger phone.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
At least we have 4.3 on our beloved note 2!

(Insert frustration and sarcasm here)
Ooh yeah I almost forgot we don't have that do we.......Sigh

Posted via Android Central App

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the reason most Note 2 owners aren't upgrading is a matter of simple economics. If you bought the Note 2 on contract within the past year, you paid $300 and are not yet upgrade eligible. To get the Note 3, you'd have to shell out over $700 off contract. Admittedly, $300 or so of that could be recouped by selling the Note 2, but you're still shelling out a net of at least $400, less than a year after shelling out $300 for the Note 2.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
If I could put s note and then pen on a different device, like the HTC max, I would.

For a "future-proof" phone like the Note 2, which still has awesome specs by this year's standards, the lack of updates is horrible.

I'd at least expect to have the features from the newest note on my Note 8.0 and note 2. My girlfriend's iPad 2 just got iOS 7 FFS.

I really want the new evernote integration from the new software... but I guess these two devices will get left behind. So frustrating.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If I could put s note and then pen on a different device, like the HTC max, I would.

For a "future-proof" phone like the Note 2, which still has awesome specs by this year's standards, the lack of updates is horrible.

I'd at least expect to have the features from the newest note on my Note 8.0 and note 2. My girlfriend's iPad 2 just got iOS 7 FFS.

I really want the new evernote integration from the new software... but I guess these two devices will get left behind. So frustrating.

They may get updated...just not in the timeframe you desire.

Nexus 7

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think the reason most Note 2 owners aren't upgrading is a matter of simple economics. If you bought the Note 2 on contract within the past year, you paid $300 and are not yet upgrade eligible. To get the Note 3, you'd have to shell out over $700 off contract. Admittedly, $300 or so of that could be recouped by selling the Note 2, but you're still shelling out a net of at least $400, less than a year after shelling out $300 for the Note 2.
I'm not sure, for me I just well.... am happy with my Note2. I know that every tech pundit says it's a huge upgrade but from the Note 2 to 3 but I see no reason to upgrade

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bought my note 2 it was 4.1 more than one year later it's still 4.1. Way to go Samsung, I moving to nexus after my contract expires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If only the manufacturers could get the carriers to give me a discount every year, then I'd buy more devices.

Sometimes I feel like there's a disconnect between device marketing and actual phone buying practices

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Bought my note 2 it was 4.1 more than one year later it's still 4.1. Way to go Samsung, I moving to nexus after my contract expires.

I feel the same. I'm in the T-Mobile jump promotion and come January I think I'm jumping ship to the nexus 5. Getting sick of no communication regarding updates. The reason I got the note 2 was at the time. All I read was Samsung updating this phone and that phone. Now I don't know what the heck has happened but I'm not satisfied.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not all that bothered by the lack of updates per se -- it's not like 4.1.2 is horrible and 4.3 is a quantum leap. I find the hardware improvements on the Note 3 a bit more attractive -- the screen, CPU, and RAM. Although it would be nice to get some of the new Multi Window features with that whole Air Command business, I'm not sure that will even be available for the Note 2 with a 4.3 upgrade because the S Pen and digitizer have been updated from what I understand.

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
If you're only buying phones for the updates, then you will not be happy unless you buy a pure Google experience phone. As long as you buy a phone that is not a true Google phone, you are just going to have to wait for the updates. Most updates are delayed by the carriers so they can add their changes, test the changes, and make further changes if they don't work or cause other issues with the phone (stability, random boots, etc). If am happy with my Note 2 and if/when I get the 4.3 update I am sure I will still be happy.

Sent from my Samsung Note II using Android Central Forums

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 3 but I loved the Note 2. I only upgraded because I switched carriers.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
If only the manufacturers could get the carriers to give me a discount every year, then I'd buy more devices.

Sometimes I feel like there's a disconnect between device marketing and actual phone buying practices

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

I think that this is the exact wrong problem. If people bought phones out right, and paid less money for their service, then devices would have a shelf life similar to what a computer does. This would mean lower prices for your service in the long run, and also an incentive to keep devices updated.

You've never heard of a one year old MacBook not being updated to the newest operating system, have you?

And yes, I am aware that you can buy a phone and get on a lower-priced carrier and save money. But for people like me who need coverage like Verizon has, it just is not an option.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not all that bothered by the lack of updates per se -- it's not like 4.1.2 is horrible and 4.3 is a quantum leap. I find the hardware improvements on the Note 3 a bit more attractive -- the screen, CPU, and RAM. Although it would be nice to get some of the new Multi Window features with that whole Air Command business, I'm not sure that will even be available for the Note 2 with a 4.3 upgrade because the S Pen and digitizer have been updated from what I understand.

It isn't really about the operating system to me. It is more about getting the Samsung note specific features that have been updated.

It is not as if the hardware cannot handle the new air view feature, scrapbook feature, or S note features (like better Evernote integration).

But I agree, I have said all along that you should not buy an android phone unless you are happy with the features that it comes with.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

It's not the update per se. It's just that Samsung is using the update as a "feature" for their newer phone. Which for me translate to "heck with the customer after sales I'm all about money money money"

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not the update per se. It's just that Samsung is using the update as a "feature" for their newer phone. Which for me translate to "heck with the customer after sales I'm all about money money money"

Well, it costs Samsung money to release these updates. How long should they push OS version changes out? 1 year. 2 years. 3 years? You only paid for the phone to work as is. OS version updates are really important its best to get a Nexus device. I have a Note 3 and I have no right to expect that they're going to update to 4.4 or whatever else Google releases in the year.

Note 8.0 LTE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie