Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By DesElms
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 3 Post By Chris Flowers
  • 1 Post By Chris Flowers
  • 3 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 1 Post By Markctco
  • 1 Post By Chris Flowers
  • 1 Post By Andyvalver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    DesElms's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Exclamation Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Some call 'em updates, some call 'em upgrades; either way, what I'm talking about, here, is getting the Samsung Galaxy Note II (or "Note 2," if you prefer) from its current (as of this writing) Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, up to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (version Android 4.2 Jelly Bean for the Note II was skipped, altogether); and then, later, up to Android 4.4 KitKat. (Colors per version information found .)

    At this writing, these are the three threads, around here -- at least the most current/recent ones -- in which the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update is being argued:
    And "argue" is the right word. Everyone thinks they know when and why and how the updates will be issued, and to whom; and it's amazing how sure of themselves, and how resistant to other ideas, so many people become...

    ...and, most importantly, how angry they get at -- and how anxious they get about -- delays. In one of those threads, user Synycalwon made a really excellent posting about the anxiety problem, citing an excellent September 2012 article from right here on Android Central:

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    This AC article explains it all quite well IMO, in particular the part about "Update anxiety" that is so common in these types of threads (excerpt below, bolded part by me; highly recommend reading the entire article though; very good info on the Android update process): Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

    From the article:

    "As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, there’s an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they
    should be updated. With that comes a sort of 'update anxiety.' If you’ve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDA’s, you’ll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear they’ll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. It’s an entirely negative ownership experience.

    While this isn’t representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- it’s an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. They’re always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they’ve bought as they’ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we’re always focused on what’s new, and that means talking about software that hasn’t yet reached most folks."
    The incontrovertible truth is that the current version Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is by no means "behind" or "out-of-date," and it is almost entirely the aforementioned "update anxiety" that's responsible for those who get angry because they don't have Android 4.2 Jelly Bean yet; or Android 4.3 Jelly Bean yet; or even Android 4.4 KitKat yet. It's a wonder no one's screaming for Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie; though, as it turns out, what's going to become Android 4.4 KitKat is actually what was originally going to be Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie.

    And it appears that Android 4.4 KitKat will, indeed, be available for the Note II... albeit well into 2014, according to sources. Heck, we haven't even gotten Android 4.3 Jelly Bean yet (at least not officially; though there are ), but some are already angry because we've not yet gotten Android 4.4 KitKat! It's ridiculous!

    Moreover, so much of what's out there are mere rumors; or, almost worse, we are told things like that, for example, Android 4.4 KitKat based on that a Samsung exec inadvertently said something about it while talking about a totally different thing: in this case, . Oh, yeah... that's reliable!

    But none of that will stop some from chiming-in after such as what I'm he re writing, telling me I'm wrong, or that they read thus-and-such over here, or this-or-that over there... and then they make self-assured and dispositive declarations such as the "November 20" one in the second of the three linked-to-above threads... as if they actually knew. At such points, it goes beyond ridiculous to downright embarrassing.

    There's no point in even talking, yet, about the Android 4.4 KitKat update. We, again, haven't even gotten -- at least not officially, most of us -- the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update yet, fortheloveofgod! Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

    And, by the way, yes, of course those whose phones are have been able to get and flash Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROMs for a while, now; but that's not really helpful to the vast majority of users whose phones are stock, purchased from a carrier. And one of my pet peeves has long been the arrogance of those whose phones are rooted, and even their derision of those whose phones are not. It's shameful! Rooting is for techno-geeks; those who actually like digging down into the bowels of devices, seeing and changing how they work, and making them bend to their geeky will. I was that way once, myself: started when I was just a kid, and my parents came home to find their beautiful, new console color TV (I'm so old, color was brand new back then) in ten gabazillion pieces all over the living room floor. I put it back together and it worked as if nothing had happened; and so my geekiness began... before I was even a teenager. So I know and understand people who want to root their Android phones...

    ...but I, for one, have outgrown it. Now, in my old age, I just want the darned thing to work! Period. And rooting a phone is the fastest way to stop it from being reliable, and staying up-to-date, and from being something with which the user must fiddle almost all the time; for which said user must then seek-out forum threads full of young, immature, impatient, obnoxious and arrogant pro-rooting geeks who get their rocks off seeming smarter than everyone else, where all manner of things that will make the phone even worse are routinely suggested! Oh, yeah... and rooting voids the phone's warranty; did I mention that? I know at least one important thing I haven't mentioned, yet, and that's how screwing-up a rooting can a phone! Let's not forget that.

    I simply could not more strongly recommend, to the average phone user, AGAINST rooting his/her phone... ever... no matter how many young and uppity geeks in forum threads -- including even around here (but mostly over in places like ) -- assure them it's safe (which it isn't); no matter how many of said geeks arrogantly and immaturely chastise them for not rooting; and no matter how many apps appear in the Google Play Store with "must be rooted" or "rooting required" language in their descriptions. Don't be sucked-in by it all! Leave your phone stock unless you want to go down the geek road!

    And so now just watch the geeky pro-rooting community chime-in, here, and take me to task for that.Just ignore 'em.

    But now I've digressed. Sorry. The subject was the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update... so back to that.

    Part of the bottom line on that update is that none of us -- no Note II users currently running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean -- were originally slated to get Android 4.3 Jelly Bean anytime soon. Heck, the decision to skip completely over the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update was only made by Samsung this past summer, in mid- to late-August (just two-and-a-half months ago), as the news began to leak that -- and its companion -- . For those who have extreme "update anxiety," let's not forget that all of that was, as of this writing, not even 60 days ago! Get some darned perspective, fortheloveofmike!

    And it is, let's be clear, that Galaxy Gear watch which all of us can thank for our quite likely now getting the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update by or before Christmas. Were it not for Galaxy Gear, and Samsung and the carriers wanting to cash-in on it this Christmas season, Note II users would have never seen the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for months! And the Android 4.4 KitKat update, if it ever came to us at all, would not have arrived for even more months after that!

    Samsung wanted its new Note III (or "Note 3," if you prefer) and S4 users to have the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update as an incentive to purchase those devices; and so there was no way we -- or S3 users, either -- were going to get the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update anytime around the Note III's or S4's rollouts. However, Samsung and the carriers simply couldn't resist the Galaxy Gear Christmas sales that they could garner if more than just the S4 and Note III were compatible with it...

    ...and so the decision was made to roll the the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update out in time for Christmas... that is, hopefully. Remember that there's a lag between when Samsung releases an OS update to carriers, and when said carriers are then finally able to roll it out to their customers' phones. So do not be impressed with articles stating that, for example, the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update will be released by Samsung on November 20, 2013, as the above-linked-to thread headline states. Yes, that update is being released to the carriers (like AT&T, Spring, Verizon, etc.) on November 20th, but it could be weeks after that before it is finally released to said carriers' customers' phones. It all depends on how much customizing of it they do. AT&T, for example, is notorious for taking literally months to release an OS update after Samsung has released it to AT&T. And even then, Samsung is staggering the release, phone model by phone model; and so the carriers will do the same.

    Ever since the word first leaked-out that the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update would be available to Note II users in September of 2013, it has always been fairly clear that the Note II would get it after pretty much all the other phones for which Samsung will be releasing the update starting around November 20th; and so the Note II has always been slated to get the the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update closer to mid- to late-December 2013. Always. And even then, remember that were it not for Galaxy Gear -- and Samsung's and the carriers greed to cash-in on 2013 Christimas sales of it to the largest possible number of phone users -- we wouldn't even be getting it as early as that!

    Now, all of that said, that very greed about which I just wrote may also help to speed-up our receipt of the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, after all. Who knows: despite that AT&T never planned for Note II users to have it much before the middle to end of December, we might find it rolling-out to our phones via over-the-air (OTA) updates (usually only via WI-FI, though) sooner than that. And, of course, those with extreme cases of the aforementioned "update anxiety" so hope that that will be the case that they will get into forum threads like this and declare it so... based on nothing but hope! That's part of what "update anxiety" does to a person! [grin]

    Yes, I hope we Note II users get the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update very soon... in plenty of time for us to waste our money on Galaxy Gear for Christmas! That would be great...

    ...that is, unless AT&T's (and even the other carriers') rushing it so that we have it in time for Christmas just happens to mean that they did a bad job of it; and so it ends-up being a buggy mess. As a former owner, I know what it's like for AT&T to rush an OS update to the market before it's really ready. The first version of was released, and then withdrawn just a day or so later after those of us stupid enough to be its earliest upgraders ended-up with seriously messed-up phones. That's when I learned all about ! It flashed my Infuse 4G back to , and then I waited, patiently, for many weeks for the final, really-and-truly-ready-this-time 2.3.6 update to be re-released. And that one was fine.

    I don't want to have to go through that on my Note II with the likely-to-be-rushed-too-fast-to-market Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update; and so I, for one, will be holding-off for at least a little while after it's released... watching forums like this to see how it's working-out for others.

    Those with International versions of the Note II may or may not have different experiences. It depends, in large measure, on whether their phones' updates come from a carrier (like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc., in the US), or straight from Samsung. If it's the former, then their versions of the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update may be just as slow to arrive as ours, here in the US; but if it's the latter, then, obviously, International Note II users will be getting the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update -- and by that, I mean officially; and not leaked, like users of rooted phones get things -- much sooner.

    Instead of arguing about it all, how 'bout we all just rejoice in that the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update is coming way sooner to Note II phones than any of us ever thought (that is, of course, unless you've got "update anxiety," in which case you're still angry that the phone didn't have it back in 1995); and then let's just be patient and see when it finally actually arrives. In the meantime, trust me, Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean that's on our phones for the moment, is just fine: there's not a single thing about it that's out-of-date or in any way not current. Be realistic.
    Last edited by DesElms; 11-01-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Inserted a blank horizontal line above the indented "I simply could not more strongly..."
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

    Pushing 40 years as an IT pro/consultant.
    Mobile phone use dates back to the early '80s.
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet.

    Thanked by:
    Hasbrobot, M Smith and dmoorefield like this.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,909 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    A well thought out thread. Honestly, whenever I come across someone who asks how to root their phone, I usually ask why, unless they clearly stated in their OP. When they respond, I usually tell them possible risks, voids and other things that can go wrong. I think many people root devices because their friend did.

    Rooting is not for everyone. If you have little patience, or no willingness to learn, then don't do it. At least a few days of study and learning how to unroot and get out of basic problems should be learned.

    To your overall point: Yes, people have become overbearing about updates. I think the only people who have a right to complain are the people who haven't received a device upgrade yet and are still on 2.3. But I agree, 4.1 isn't a bad version to have. My mom just got a new device that I don't think will get upgraded but has stock 4.1. So overall it should be a solid device for the next 2 years.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by 2:
    indysteve9 and DesElms like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    nice thoughts! Nowadays many people change their devices every year just to get newest / updated devices even though they didn't use all features~
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    I agree on the whole rooting business. It's always been a pet peeve of mine amongst the Android community, people chiming in with "just root it".

    No. I don't want to root it.

    My issue with your post and previous posts though, is when you take a pot at those who try and assert their opinion. The irony is, you also assert your opinion and put it out there almost as fact and excuse yourself because you believe it's based on your having read a ton of articles.

    Anyone can do that. But as I've said before, we can all speculate on dates, but you, me or nobody else here, unless they are directly involved with the updating process at Samsung somehow, can state fact.

    My second issue is you argue your point solely for the Americans. What about the rest of the world? You'll argue your points with stars and stripes in your eyes, but when it's pointed out to you there are multi nationals on this forum with international Note II's you glaze over.

    I'd also speculate, given your extensive coverage of the subject, you suffer the update anxiety you speak of. Just saying.

    Also, if you posted this expecting it to change the mindset of users here, an attempt to prevent anymore update related threads, I predict you'll fail. This thread will get buried further down the forum as time goes on. It's far too lengthy for the majority to bother reading fully. Accept that people have this anxiety about updates, and move on to be honest.

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chris Flowers; 11-01-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
    Thanked by:
    L1NGUS 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    DesElms's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Cool Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    My issue with your post and previous posts though, is when you take a pot at those who try and assert their opinion.
    It's "take a potshot," not "take a pot." And that's not an opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    ...as I've said before, we can all speculate on dates, but you, me or nobody else here, unless they are directly involved with the updating process at Samsung somehow, can state fact.
    They apparently don't teach careful reading in the UK. I was very clear in my thread-starting post, here -- and especially in the post that followed it -- about all the varying date possibilities. Apparently, you're still back on when I wanted you to put your money where your mouth is, and bet me ten bucks to the winner's favorite charity that the update won't come out to any end-users -- at least not any who must get it through a carrier -- as early as you keep saying. And I stand by that.

    Time, in any case, will show me to be correct. That, for some reason, has really got your goat. Why you can't just relax and let time show us who's right, instead of chiming-in like this and embarrassing yourself, escapes me. It's obviously something about you and your character and personality or something. Very odd.

    In the meantime, don't be in such a hurry to remake an old thread's point in a new thread; in which new thread you've not sufficiently carefully read that to which you're deigning to respond. It just makes you look foolish... you know... kinda' like what's happening here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    My second issue is you argue your point solely for the Americans. What about the rest of the world?
    Again with the uncareful reading. What part of the second-to-last paragraph of my thread-starting post -- the one beginning, "[t]hose with International versions of the Note II..." -- do you not understand? Hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    You'll argue your points with stars and stripes in your eyes, but when it's pointed out to you there are multi nationals on this forum with international Note II's you glaze over.
    First, I'll repeat: What part of the second-to-last paragraph of my thread-starting post -- the one beginning, "[t]hose with International versions of the Note II..." -- do you not understand? I'm having trouble seeing any glazing. You, on the other hand, are clearly having trouble seeing, at all.

    Second, I'm so sorry for your palpable America envy. The war ended 230 years ago. We won. Try to get over it. If that's not good enough, then get a visa and a green card. You're more than welcome, here... even with your apparent comprehensional deficits.

    Third, and finally, the company that owns/runs this forum, and the servers on which it sits, are in the United States. No, of course it's not limited to those in the United States -- and, again, you're more than welcome... deficits and all -- but it's clearly North-America-centric. Even all the vendor sub-sections in the...
    ...section are North American. But the truly saddest thing about it, in your case, is that you, me and God all know that none of this is news to you; and that, as a Brit, you're accustomed to US-centric websites and their writings' presumption of an American audience. What's really going on, here, is that you're the kind of person who doesn't like being challenged (and wouldn't put his money where his mouth was, when he was; and you're obviously still stinging about that), and so, now, in some kind of immature retaliation that you can't just keep in the thread where it started (and so that makes you look a little bit pathological, too), you're just making-up things about which to challenge, even when nothing's really there.

    Time, alas, will tell who's right and who's wrong. Is there some reason why you can't just wait for that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    I'd also speculate, given your extensive coverage of the subject, you suffer the update anxiety you speak of. Just saying.
    Again, with the uncareful reading... and projection, too, I might add. I have no immature, why-isn't-it-here-yet "update anxiety" of the sort that was the partial subject of this thread's starting post. Rather, I fear the 4.3 update that's headed our way. I believe that even if Samsung figures-out a way to release it to the carriers with no bugs in it, AT&T, in classic AT&T style, is gonna' screw it up in its haste to release in time for Christmas...

    ...and that's gonna' leave me with a squirrely phone!

    I couldn't have made that fear more clear in my thread-starting post. Hey... wait a minute... you actually read the thread-starting post, right? I mean... you didn't just chime-in with criticism of me because I've apparently become some kind of weird nemesis to you, and so you just can't help yourself, did you? 'Cause that's sure how it's starting to seem.

    You really need to take a giant step back from your zeal to best me, and actually bother to read my words...

    ....including and especially the ones I quote in my second post, here, which actually support the dates you've been proffering. Slowing down and reading carefully, and then responding appropriately to what's actually written, and not what you presume is written, will make you look a whole lot more mature... you know... assuming that's even possible, at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    Also, if you posted this expecting it to change the mindset of users here, an[d] attempt to prevent anymore update related threads, I predict you'll fail. This thread will get buried further down the forum as time goes on.
    Yet will still be remarkably searchable. Forums like this are funny that way. I'll bet you channel surf instead of using a TV guide, too.

    At any rate, all the things you say will happen betray your own self-interested perspective; and are causing you to project onto me the selfish motives for doing things -- or, more accurately, not doing them -- in life from which you apparently suffer. Anywhere and everywhere I write, it's to inform and edify. When there's misinformation floating about, I try to correct it; or provide perspective to help better interpret it...

    ...because, as an activist who cares about more than just himself (a concept foreign to you, I realize), I don't like seeing people misled... by... you know... people like you, for example. People like you, who get challenged and corrected by people like me, never like people like me; and so, in their lashing-out, people like you ascribe to people like me motives and goals which have nothing to do with what's really going on, as you have, here. Thanks for so deftly illustrating it for us all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    Accept that people have this anxiety about updates, and move on to be honest.
    You mean "to be candid." After all, why would anyone ever want to be anything other than honest? Oh, I'm sorry. Did I correct you again?

    And nothing I wrote suggests that I don't accept that people have update anxiety. I accept that people have all manner of other kinds of problems in life, too. Are you suggesting that no one should ever write about them in order to try to help people better understand, or put things into perspective, or to maybe even help them better cope? Are you so schadenfreudic that you would deny others such benefits?

    Moreover, are you so caught-up in your own little world, and myopic, that you assume everyone has your knowledge? You don't think it's possible that someone who doesn't really care about all this kinda' stuff, and who just wants his/her phone to work, might be confused about all this update talk? And maybe could use a thread like I've started, here, to get it all straight in his/her mind? You would, in your schadenfreude, deny them that?

    And, finally, I'm sorry: Did my writing it somehow inconvenience you? Were you somehow harmed by it? Did it hurt you, somehow? Did you have to pay or something? Or did someone force you to read it? What? The mouse wheel of your computer, or touchpad slider on your notebook, or scroll slider of your phone's or tablet's touchscreen isn't working such that you can't just scroll right down past this thread so it won't so vex you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    It's far too lengthy for the majority to bother reading fully.
    Only to young and still-wet-behind-the-ears hipsters who've grown-up with nothing but sound bites, and who think a tabloid -- or The Daily Show -- is news; and who think the world can be covered in 140 characters. A New-Yorker-Magazine-length article would just about kill such short-of-attention-span slackers; and I, for one, have no sympathy for either it or them. The world is a complex and nuanced place, incapable of being understood by people who live by the "too long, didn't read" (TLDR) way of thinking. That's partly why, I'm guessing, you don't understand it...

    ..er... well... that, and your nasty habit of uncareful reading that you've so evidenced, here. They're connected, you know. You just keep skimming and assuming and speeding through life believing that everyone's stupid but you, there, Sparky...

    ...and the careful and thorough of my ilk will clean the clock of yours every single time.
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

    Pushing 40 years as an IT pro/consultant.
    Mobile phone use dates back to the early '80s.
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet.

  6. #6  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    *yawn*

    Anyway, when's 4.3 coming?

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    DesElms's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    *yawn*
    Oooh. Ouch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    Anyway, when's 4.3 coming?
    Again, with the uncareful reading. Is it because you're doing it all from your phone? Is there just not enough room on that Tapatalk screen to see it all or something? Just askin'.
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

    Pushing 40 years as an IT pro/consultant.
    Mobile phone use dates back to the early '80s.
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet.

  8. #8  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    I suggest we pull them out and take a picture next to a ruler instead of bickering.

    Opinions and discussions are fine, but let's not get too personal.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    I suggest we pull them out and take a picture next to a ruler instead of bickering.
    Honestly, he'd win. Married 5 years with two kids under 3 years, hell I'm not even sure I'd remember where to look!



    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Opinions and discussions are fine, but let's not get too personal.
    Words of wisdom summed up in a few. No long winded convoluted post necessary.

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    I didn't read your book all the way.

    I just want the new Samsung stuff; s note and s pen features.

    Google fixed the update anxiety crap by putting their apps on the play store.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    DesElms's Avatar

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    Google fixed the update anxiety crap by putting their apps on the play store.
    "Update anxiety" is about the operating system, not apps.
    Gregg L. DesElms
    Napa, California USA

    Pushing 40 years as an IT pro/consultant.
    Mobile phone use dates back to the early '80s.
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note II phablet.

  12. #12  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Wow, reading all that gave me an anxiety attack! Where the hell did I put my Xanax?!!!
    ludesleep likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Tell me about it and ever since hijacking all these threads with that it's been mighty quiet around here regarding this pending update. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing getting the craziness under control. But I do miss reading comments regarding excitement of the lurking 4.3 update. It's like everyone is afraid to post after that whole dictation.

    Well here goes, I'm posting. If there are some that wish to post, not saying I'm one of them. Regarding frustration than so be it. Apparently it's therapeutic to vent of unmet expectations. Not saying I have any but you shouldn't nullify those who feel they do. Whether there's ground for it or not. That's the great thing about these boards, being able to post thoughts and feelings. WIthin reason of course. Therefore I'm not sure it's a good idea to discourage those from sharing.

    I'm certainly not intending this to be harsh or brash in anyway. Just my 2 cents regarding discouraging others that's all.

    Have a nice day and I hope this doesn't instigate negativity towards me. That was not my intention.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    I am a silent observer all this while learning and reading from this forum and certainly this forum is not interesting me after all my friends here stopped talking about rumors of the impending update. As per the leak, Nov 13th Galaxy S4 on AT&T should see the update and it did not happen and you know what that means...
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Not to schedule as such, but some handset revisions and carriers have started 4.3 rollout. Most notably for the S3 and S4. Service centres have reportedly received the 4.3 update for Note 2 so hopefully that'll start rolling out next few weeks.

    Its not all doom and gloom! Half delivered promises at the moment.

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
    Hasbrobot likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    My note 2 is running 4.1.2 and to be honest I wish they would get on with it and update my device. I don't care if it's kit kat or not. 4.3.3 will do. I'd just like something. Ios definitely have it sorted in the update area. In a world where 2 year contracts are standard updates need to be regular. You buy a phone and a month or two later you feel out of date.

    Posted via Android Central App
    MS3GT likes this.
  17. #17  
    JasW's Avatar

    Posts
    663 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

    Default Re: Update anxiety, and the facts about the 4.3 & 4.4 updates

    Quote Originally Posted by srgonu View Post
    I am a silent observer all this while learning and reading from this forum and certainly this forum is not interesting me after all my friends here stopped talking about rumors of the impending update. As per the leak, Nov 13th Galaxy S4 on AT&T should see the update and it did not happen and you know what that means...
    Actually, it did happen on the S4 -- the leak said the 14th for AT&T, and it began rolling out late in the evening of the 13th. So there is a good reason to believe it will happen for the Note 2 on AT&T on the 20th.

    My main concern is whether I want to go with the OTA and lock down my Note 2 for the foreseeable future with Knox. I'm happy with stock on this phone, but I like options open, e.g., if/when a 4.4 ROM comes out, etc.
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)

Similar Threads

  1. Are you going to jump ship for the N5?
    By Jadien in forum LG Optimus G Pro
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 07:05 AM
  2. Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus users, what do you think?
    By Patrick Schroedl in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM
  3. Didn't think Sprint would get the N5 now I don't know what to do.
    By KingGinger55 in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 08:21 AM
  4. N4, CM10, and 4.4
    By foolishfocus in forum Nexus 4 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  5. What are you most excited about?
    By tdizzel in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM

Posting Permissions

B