1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone knows how to make Hangouts default SMS app?

Supposedly, hangouts can be the default SMS app with the latest. I can't figure out how with note2. Google's help said to go to settings -> SMS, except no such folder...

Default Re: Anyone knows how to make Hangouts default SMS app?

If you have a device that's currently running KitKat. (Which the Note 2 does not currently run, or plans on running anytime soon)

tap'n

Based on what I read on android central hangouts will be available as a default sms to all android users but the update is goin to be gradual, it's the stock android keyboard with emoji that is kit kat 4.4 only

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Younjulius View Post
    Supposedly, hangouts can be the default SMS app with the latest. I can't figure out how with note2. Google's help said to go to settings -> SMS, except no such folder...

its very easy. just go to setting and there will names call application you just click on it and you will find all the apps in there and click the sms apps you using right now and on the top there will apps stop than just click on it..and than you go back and see your phone will be default as mobile sms apps
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by addu funs View Post
    its very easy. just go to setting and there will names call application you just click on it and you will find all the apps in there and click the sms apps you using right now and on the top there will apps stop than just click on it..and than you go back and see your phone will be default as mobile sms apps
    Disabled and stopped the stock Messaging, and no more SMS messages until I enabled it back...no hangouts replacing the functionality. Probably have to wait for 4.3?

Quote Originally Posted by Younjulius View Post
    Disabled and stopped the stock Messaging, and no more SMS messages until I enabled it back...no hangouts replacing the functionality. Probably have to wait for 4.3?
    Hangouts with SMS is on version 2.0 which isn't out for the note 2 yet. It should be coming out next couple of days, so gotta wait or use the apk.

Sent from my GT-N7100
    no1

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

The gradual rollout has started. It appeared yesterday for me on a stock AT&T Note 2 (with Nova Launcher Prime).

I flipped the switch to make Hangouts the app that handles SMS. It runs smoothly for me, although it was a little laggy initially.

Only one issue. When new SMS messages arrive, the notification sound, LED, and vibration work; but the screen does not come on, and the SMS envelope on the lock screen does not appear. I mapped one of the shortcuts to Hangouts, and this only goes to the Hangouts message list. It would be great if it went to a thread with new messages.

Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by no1 View Post
    The gradual rollout has started. It appeared yesterday for me on a stock AT&T Note 2 (with Nova Launcher Prime).

I flipped the switch to make Hangouts the app that handles SMS. It runs smoothly for me, although it was a little laggy initially.

Only one issue. When new SMS messages arrive, the notification sound, LED, and vibration work; but the screen does not come on, and the SMS envelope on the lock screen does not appear. I mapped one of the shortcuts to Hangouts, and this only goes to the Hangouts message list. It would be great if it went to a thread with new messages.

The current version in the Play store is still listed as 1.2.018 -- which is what I have on my AT&T Note 2 -- although there is a blurb about "what's new" on 2.0. How'd you get 2.0 if the current version in Play is 1.2.018?
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    The current version in the Play store is still listed as 1.2.018 -- which is what I have on my AT&T Note 2 -- although there is a blurb about "what's new" on 2.0. How'd you get 2.0 if the current version in Play is 1.2.018?
    You can get it and a few others here.

Thanked by:
    JasW 

Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaCool View Post
    You can get it and a few others here.

Terrific, thanks a bunch! Although I note a couple of people in the comments mentioned having a problem with video calling in Hangouts, one person with stock 4.1.2.
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    Terrific, thanks a bunch! Although I note a couple of people in the comments mentioned having a problem with video calling in Hangouts, one person with stock 4.1.2.
    I have 4.3 on AT&T and unfortunately, I can only do video calls on WiFi. Everything else seems to be working. I have all the DL's on there but I can't get the Play services or the Google Home to install. Everything else installed.

I have a Verizon Note2 I downloaded the update yesterday from the playstore. After you download it when you open the app it will ask you if you want to make it the default sms app. Which you can change at anytime.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

Good to know! :thumbup:

tap'n

Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

How do you combine contacts? The same contacts have separate entries for SMS and Hangouts.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7

Just downloaded the new hangouts and quickly enabled then disabled the sms feature. Honestly the stock sms looks better on the note 2 than the UI on hangouts

Is there any reason to download these 4.4 files? I'm on a Verizon nonroot GN2. Or should I just wait for 4.3 and be content?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by no1 View Post

Hi no1,

Do you already find a way to get the notification on the lock screen and how to get the screen coming on when you get a text?
    no1

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevain View Post
    Hi no1,

Do you already find a way to get the notification on the lock screen and how to get the screen coming on when you get a text?
    I just installed Dynamic Notifications as a semi-workaround. It takes away Air Command, but it is worth the trade-off in my opinion. I'm looking for other options that might work once the carrier 4.3 update is released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    5,932 Global Posts

I use Pop Up, so I have no problem with notifications, but it doesn't work with Waze when you try to send someone an SMS of your ETA (something I do fairly frequently with my wife on my commute home). So I'm back to the stock SMS.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    Galaxy Note II stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2
    Galaxy Gear MK7

Tried it after the update and didn't like it. Thought the Facebook iteration was sadly better personally. I'm on Verizon. The app I like for messages is the Verizon Messages app. Looks good. Has the option for a dark theme and allows you to send and recieve texts for your main number on multiple devices such as your tablet. Secondary devices don't need to be VZW but I believe the main device does. I have my Note 2 and my Tab 3 8.0 wifi linked using it and its very nice.

Cool Re: Anyone knows how to make Hangouts default SMS app?

actually works for me. i disabled the default messaging app and tried sending and receiving sms thru hangouts