Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mumfoau
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Making the leap...

Good morning! After work today I'm slated to swap a guy my iPhone 5 for a note II. I just have a couple questions for the community.

1. Are group messages fixed in the stock messaging app?

2. Can you view emoji without using a messaging app that's not the stock app?

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Making the leap...

I'm not sure if Samsung has fixed those things in TouchWiz but I believe a contemporary ROM could resolve them. CM or Slim will also bring your device up to 4.3.
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Loving this Note II thus far! Saw an iPhone commercial this evening and didn't even flinch!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by mumfoau View Post
    Loving this Note II thus far! Saw an iPhone commercial this evening and didn't even flinch!

Its a very nice and solid phone. You should be happy with it.

Optimus G Pro
    Live long and prosper.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Its a very nice and solid phone. You should be happy with it.

Optimus G Pro
    It's definitely solid! Thing weighs a ton! Lol

I really like it. Glad I didn't get the 5s.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hebert View Post
    I really like it. Glad I didn't get the 5s.

Posted via Android Central App
    I bet you are. Nice usable screen vs. very small with seriously limited relative customization options (yet easily wieldable).

g2 cm10.2
    Live long and prosper.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I bet you are. Nice usable screen vs. very small with seriously limited relative customization options (yet easily wieldable).

g2 cm10.2
    Are you using cm10.2 on the note 2? if so, how do you like it?

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

A good group messaging app, one I have installed on ALL my devices is Textra. Fast, Lightweight, clean and simple. I had issues with the stock messaging app, so I switched to Textra.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

No...I'm using it on the G2 and Optimus G Pro. I like it a lot on both.

g2 cm10.2
    Live long and prosper.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Is it safe to say that if when you're viewing your battery status, if your awake bar pretty much matches your screen on bar then the life you get is gonna be based solely on YOUR usage and nothing operating in the background i.e. a wakelock situation?

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mumfoau View Post
    Good morning! After work today I'm slated to swap a guy my iPhone 5 for a note II. I just have a couple questions for the community.

1. Are group messages fixed in the stock messaging app?

2. Can you view emoji without using a messaging app that's not the stock app?
    For #1, group messages works well for me in the stock messages app. Can carry on a group conversation with family members on Android and iPhone.

For #2, yes the stock default messaging app has "Insert Smiley" feature that's accessed from the apps menu button.

Verizon has a decent Messaging app that also supports group messaging. Used it on my S3 before the stock TouchWiz messaging app was updated for proper group messaging support.

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

For MUMFOAU, just wanted to add on a few observations to your other questions in case this is new information for you

If you go the CM ROM route, then the S-Pen and other TouchWiz features like Multi-Window won't be there. From my S3 days, believe that some of the ASOP based ROMs didn't support functional group messaging. Can be solved with an app, but something to note.

For battery usage details, the stock Battery app does provide a good depth of info for which app or process(es) are consuming resources. You can drill down to some degree in the stock app, or go with a more advanced battery management app to dig into wake lock level details.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    For MUMFOAU, just wanted to add on a few observations to your other questions in case this is new information for you

If you go the CM ROM route, then the S-Pen and other TouchWiz features like Multi-Window won't be there. From my S3 days, believe that some of the ASOP based ROMs didn't support functional group messaging. Can be solved with an app, but something to note.

For battery usage details, the stock Battery app does provide a good depth of info for which app or process(es) are consuming resources. You can drill down to some degree in the stock app, or go with a more advanced battery management app to dig into wake lock level details.
    Thanks for the info! I'm thinking the stock battery app will suffice for my needs! Was concerned yesterday as I unplugged at around 9am and by noon I was at 49%. I charged up to 100% before leaving work and from that charge till this morning I was at about 18 hours of on time and about 3.5 hours of screen time!

Dog5000 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Each time I leave Android and return I come back more informed. This time around I'm now understanding that there are enough tools on board, without root or downloaded app, that will give you a PRETTY GOOD idea of what may be the culprit in bad battery life. For example....in Settings > Data Usage I see that Play Store is using about half of the data I've used since getting this device on Thursday. Of what it's used, 80% of that has been in the background. So, I've now restricted Play Store background data to Wi-Fi. All this determined using on-board tools.

Stock messaging works just fine I have a note 2 coming from years of iPhone I have not 1 regret. I'm running a custom rom with note 3 features so my note 2 is now a note 3

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by suav257 View Post
    Stock messaging works just fine I have a note 2 coming from years of iPhone I have not 1 regret. I'm running a custom rom with note 3 features so my note 2 is now a note 3

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Still not able to get any consistency out of the stock messaging app for group messaging...