Android 4.3 on Note 2 in Canada: feedback wanted

crags13

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I have the SGH i317M Galaxy Note 2, on Bell in Canada.

I've downloaded the update but am very hesitant to install it based on all the negative feedback I've been reading. Just wondering if others with the same phone model have installed the 4.3 update, and if so what kind of issues have they been having, if any. I haven't been able to find much online as far as people in Canada's experience with the update.

Thanks for any responses!
Eric

flowrider

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I've update mine on Telus network. I have to say I'm not impressed so far. I find it laggy compared to before but I do like the new colour scheme.

juicesrwild

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, dont't do it. I didn't see this post cause I just posted about my phone. NOthing but problems, apps opening all the time, some of them have stopped working all together. I am with Telus. NOt sure what to do, its so annoying.

crags13

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for your feedback. I'm going to hold off and wait for a stable release. I'm amazed that Samsung would release such a flawed OS, this is a colossal mess-up. Seems like nobody is happy with it.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You are smart to wait. I too have not been impressed with it at all. Lag, features taken away, etc. If I could I would go back to 4.1.2!

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 4

GeoffWoo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
can no longer share photos from the gallery. Pop up appears "unfortunately the gallery has stopped'
I must open an app(hangouts,etc) and send it from there.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
That ducks man. I can still share photos directly from the gallery.
They actually added an option where I can do a quick send via BBM or whichever most recent social means I have shares. It's rather handy.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 4

flowrider

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
It's gotten a bit better since I first updated it but I still find it laggy. I'm also finding battery drain is quite a bit higher as well.

tireboy66

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Since my 4.3 update The following has sucked... battery life, can not use voice commands with my t1 headset.. Is there a fix for it??

crags13

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Just an update. Since I download the update my phone was periodically sending me reminders to install it. I accidentally clicked yes and installed it...terrifying moment indeed!

However I have had little to no issues with the update since installing it. Battery life is similar to before, I find the apps for the most part run quicker than before. Still a few little hiccups here and there but nothing major. No issues with wireless or LTE connectivity. Overall I'm pleased with the update and very happy that I don't have to reinstall anything.

One thing that I'm missing is the App manager. I used to use that regularly to shutdown apps that were running in the background. The widget has disappeared and I don't think I can reinstall it. That being said, apps such as the TSN.ca app, which used to cause me problems and I'd have to use the App manager to restart it, now work consistently. I'd still like to have the feature back. Any suggestions?

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I updated my Telus Note 2 to 4.3 after a couple of weeks when it came out. The battery life was horrible at first but I turned the phone off/on and it fixed the battery issue. It was laggy at first but I installed Action Launcher and the Google Keyboard which helped a lot. The one thing that I'm upset at is the loss of bluetooth controls in my car and headphones. I've tried unpairing/pairing and not sure if a factory reset is the only solution. I contacted Telus and they told me to drop off the phone to send to a repair centre. I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue.

POSAnd

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Can't remember when I did the update to 4.3 but it was a wee while ago. Didn't notice much until Jan 31, 2014 when all of a sudden MicroSoft Exchange ActiveSync broke. I can receive but not send emails using MSExAS. Have done hours of TS with ISP and Telus but no solution yet. I have tried Email Apps as a work-around but dislike most. Pop3 doesn't really work for me but it will have to suffice at this point.
Samsung support would only do a 'hard' reset and then bailed. No chance to Escalate so am relying on Telus and ISP to do that.
This may be the last Samsung for me.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried doing a factory reset? (not sure if that is the same as a hard reset)

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Ghostma77

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Original rogers Note 2 unlocked and now on the Virgin/Bell network here. Zero issues on my end. Lightning fast with no glitches and amazing battery life!

Posted via Android Central App

POSAnd

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have. Samsung Support had me do it only 3 days after I had reset may phone through Backup and Restore Options (I'm getting almost quick at restoring all my apps) Hard reset is using volume up + Menu + Power which gets you the options to choose what you want to do.
There was no difference and Samsung Support quit at that point claiming it was Not Their Fault. I am now dealing with Email Provider and Mobile Provider to ge tthis resolved but it is an extremely slow process.

POSAnd

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Someone passed on a mysterious fix which so far has resolved the issue. Send a Calendar Appointment Invite to the broken account and when that account replies to the Invite - Miracle! the issue is gone and the account can send. No idea why or wherefore but it's fixed.

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I may be the oddball but I updated on Telus around Christmas and no issues whatsoever. I held off a little bit being cautious, but my battery has actually seemed better than before. No lag either.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using AC Forums mobile app

NeoGrandizer

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I've updated back in November (Telus). I did a clean install of the update.

I also do not have any real major issues with the update to date. I do have lag on wake to lock screen. A few seconds worth sometimes (very noticeable) compared to 4.1.2 (which was always instant on). Battery drain is the major issue I have with this update (leaving everything enabled and the same as I had it in 4.1.2). Battery drain is significant under much more moderate to heavy use. But on days where I leave it alone (or use it very lightly), it is on par.

I also have annoyances with this update. Removing features, annoying contact icons, light/bright coloured themes (for the stock apps), etc. Quite frankly, they removed more features than they added. Not pleased with that. :mad: