Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By d4005
  • 1 Post By d4005
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.3 update bricked my note 2

I've been happily on 4.1 on my note 2 since sept 2012. Yesterday I saw my phone was auto-updating to 4.3, after it finished and rebooted itself, it seemed successful enough. I checked in about-device and it said 4.3

With the battery around 80% charged, it went into my shirt pocket where it usually lived. After a couple of minutes I took it out to use it again, but nothing. Totally dead.

Power button has no effect. Volume+ & home & power dies nothing [no recivery menu]. Plugging into the charger/dock has no effect [no big green charging battery icon]. As they say on true blood ... it's had "the true death".

I bought it unlocked from Amazon Germany, but it's more than 12 months now. Am I screwed? Can I sue Samsung? They hacked into and bricked my property without permission.

Global Posts
    26,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: 4.3 update bricked my note 2

Quote Originally Posted by d4005 View Post
    I've been happily on 4.1 on my note 2 since sept 2012. Yesterday I saw my phone was auto-updating to 4.3, after it finished and rebooted itself, it seemed successful enough. I checked in about-device and it said 4.3

With the battery around 80% charged, it went into my shirt pocket where it usually lived. After a couple of minutes I took it out to use it again, but nothing. Totally dead.

Power button has no effect. Volume+ & home & power dies nothing [no recivery menu]. Plugging into the charger/dock has no effect [no big green charging battery icon]. As they say on true blood ... it's had "the true death".

I bought it unlocked from Amazon Germany, but it's more than 12 months now. Am I screwed? Can I sue Samsung? They hacked into and bricked my property without permission.
    Welcome to the forums.
    What carrier are you on?

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm not on a US carrier. I have a PAYG SIM Card from "3" for when I'm in the UK (where I am now, and where my 4.3 drive-by "bricking" occurred). When I'm in Germany I use an O2 PAYG SIM card.

I'm hoping there's some kind of super-reset that I haven't heard of. I've got an unbent paper clip ready but don't know where to stick it.

Global Posts
    26,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by d4005 View Post
    I'm not on a US carrier. I have a PAYG SIM Card from "3" for when I'm in the UK (where I am now, and where my 4.3 drive-by "bricking" occurred). When I'm in Germany I use an O2 PAYG SIM card.

I'm hoping there's some kind of super-reset that I haven't heard of. I've got an unbent paper clip ready but don't know where to stick it.
    As far as I knew, 4.3 doesn't allow any rolling back to a previous version of Android. This is due to Knox. But, since you have nothing to lose, can you get into Download mode?

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Sadly I can't get into anything. Even the charging icon doesn't come up when the phone is in the dock. True brickness.

Global Posts
    26,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, I think you have a brick. Sorry.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Are you in a country that has Samsung stores? Have you called Samsung and gotten the level 2 or level 3 support?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

There probably are stores, but it's already late-ish Christmas eve now here :-( I was really just hoping for news of a super reset here. I guess there isn't one.

There has been an issue of a sudden death with international Note 2 and I think I remember that Samsung is replacing them since they are aware of the issue.

They're might be two issues actually..The exynos bug and this one..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2093599
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    There has been an issue of a sudden death with international Note 2 and I think I remember that Samsung is replacing them since they are aware of the issue.
    Do you by any chance have any links to that?

It's the Exynos bug and there were many threads here about sudden death. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it after they discovered it was international versions. Google is covered up with info about it.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks you guys. I'm definitely in a much more informed position now, and can push Samsung harder as a result. -)
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

Hope it works out well for you!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Hope it works out well for you!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Hope it works out wellk for you!
    It'll be a couple of weeks till I'm back home and able to (a) call Samsung and (b) send the brick and all it's bits in the box to them. I'll come back and finish the thread with the resolution though.

Mine has acted like a brick a couple of times before the update - I just pulled the battery for a few seconds. I know that usually goes without saying but you didn't mention pulling the battery. Might want to try it if you haven't.

Maybe a factory reset would help.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Warranty is 2 years, not 1 year.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santa must have taken pity on me.

So rather than SDS, my phone appears to have had a sudden 42 hour fakeout death.

Upon resurrection I tried that exynos bug checker app, not affected by that one.

I'm tempted now to do a factory reset, just to give the 4.3 update a fighting chance. I probably won't though.

Seriously though Santa .... you rock !!!

I'm visiting family (in 3 locations here in the UK) for the next 2 weeks, so dealing with a Samsung return and being phoneless would have been really annoying.

So, what have we learned ..... not all apparently bricked Note 2's are as apparently bricked as they appear.
    wanzik likes this.