Galaxy Note 2 - Strange 'notification'-type sounds

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I recently noticed my Galaxy Note 2 started making strange notification type sounds.

I Googled and found these forums, and found those threads around the NFC option but it wasn't that.

I then noticed the new 4.3 software so updated that and hoped that would cure it but it didn't.

The sounds are four tones (I think), ascending sometimes and descending the next.

It's kinda like a usb - connection sound but more "metallic"-y if that makes sense!

There's nothing in the notification bar and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

The last time it happened worried me most as the screen changed from my normal lock picture to a kind of 'rainbow' picture, like the one you see on a paint package when choosing a colour. That time the noise was the descending/disconnection type one.

My wifi and voice signals seemed to be steady during all noises.

Anybody got any ideas? I'd really appreciate any comments.

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Nobody else experienced this?

Is there any way to scroll through all the notification sounds so I can try to identify what the sound is at least called?

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it's none of those.

Do you think that's likely to mean it's an app which is trying to notify me?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Facebook? Ive noticed that some apps come with their own sounds. You can use the my files app and go into the internal folders to find the notification tones associated with the given apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Normally Facebook has icons in the notification bar and it's not any of their usual notifications (new message, likes, comments etc)

It's just happened again and I managed to grab a screen shot of the 'rainbow'-screen I tried to describe in my first post.

Is there anyway to upload pics to the forum from my phone?

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Normally Facebook has icons in the notification bar and it's not any of their usual notifications (new message, likes, comments etc)

It's just happened again and I managed to grab a screen shot of the 'rainbow'-screen I tried to describe in my first post.

Is there anyway to upload pics to the forum from my phone?

UPDATE
D'oh. Just switched to desktop site and attached file!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-08-13-36-53.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-08-13-36-53.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
It's not really a wallpaper as such as it disappears once I touch the screen. I've noticed as well that screen is different each time.

Starting think I'll just have to take the phone back to the shop :-(

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
It's not really a wallpaper as such as it disappears once I touch the screen. I've noticed as well that screen is different each time.

It's not a wallpaper. It's the " Daydream" feature introduced in 4.3. You access its option from Settings-Display-Daydream. That particular one is the default Daydream titled Colors. Although the sound effect is a mystery as it doesn't make any sounds.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Update:

I turned the daydream feature off to see if that would help.

I am still receiving the notification sounds, but the 'colours' screen is no longer being displayed. It simply wakes from sleep now and displays my normal background wallpaper.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it's none of those.

Do you think that's likely to mean it's an app which is trying to notify me?

its probably an app that sends push notifications of some sort.

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

If you look in your apps and go through all of them there has to be one that has that screen saver. Maybe its making the noise when the screen saver is activated?

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I've checked all the apps and none are trying to notify me.

Phones going crazy today - must be around 15 notifications in the last 4 hours and it's driving me mad!

Going to try a backup and factory reset tonight I think.

KneeBee

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
It's the dock sound! That's why the wallpaper was changing to 'colours', as the phone was moving into daydream mode as it thought it was docked.

I guess the only option now is take it for repair?

Or is there any strange blue tooth/NFC/infrared options which may be interfering with other phones nearby?

barneyfife

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks KneeBee! Same thing happening on my ATT GN2 running 4.4.2. It is also not recognizing the charging cable consistently. I'm going to do a thorough micro USB port cleaning and see if that cures both issues. Maybe the same gunk that is keeping it from charging is somehow triggering Dock Mode? I don't have BT nor NFC on and my GN2 doesn't have an IR blaster.

panzerlol

May 17, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU! My phone was driving me insane with the blipping (and I also felt it had an impact on battery life). Somehow NFC had gotten turned on.

Thanks again!

On a related note, why does NFC make that blipping sound?
Samsung Galaxy S6 here btw.