- 87 Posts
how to manage over-filled /system space after 4.3 OTA
As measured by the "My Drives" app my space in /system (1.72gb total) is 93.3% full - it was about 80% before the update. On a prior phone (Infuse 4G) I let the /system space get full and could not recover without a factory reset so I want to deal with the situation before it gets worse.
About half of the space is apparently .apk's - but I deleted a bunch of programs without making a dent in /system.
I believe that I could root the phone and delete some of the bloatware - for example, speech-to-text seems to use a lot of room but I will never use it. But I'm looking forward to the 4.4 update, and I believe there's a significant risk that the update will not load if I have removed the wrong bloatware.
Any suggestions on freeing up some space on /system?
- 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM #2
- 136 Posts
Re: how to manage over-filled /system space after 4.3 OTA
First, I would not recommend rooting just for deleting bloatware, because like you said, 4.4 is on it's way. That being said, I would try deleting any cache or app data on the system apps you don't use, and disabling them so they don't grow again. I know the S4 can disable built in apps, and I believe the Note 2 can as well. Not much else I can say, hope this helps! Good luck!
- By Pablo Escobar1 in forum Sprint Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 2Last Post: 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
- By Jay_876 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 1Last Post: 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM
- By BlackAudiA5 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 9Last Post: 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
- By Tom in Bristol in forum Moto X (2013)Replies: 1Last Post: 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM
- By xonq in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 2Last Post: 01-24-2014, 09:26 PM