Phone Alteration At Repair Shop?

ProtestTS

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I was a victim of identity theft not too long ago, so I am just a little paranoid that something was altered in my phone while at a tiny repair shop to replace my LCD screen.
I gave my phone without the battery/SIM/S-Pen, but when I got it back I found that my Wifi setting were altered (I had my two most used networks forgotten). Are Note 2's known to randomly forget networks?

I may just be over-reacting, but I am worried about re-joining those networks because: a) one is my home network and b) my school network requires me to log in with my student-specific information that can do a lot of damage if known. If I'm crazy, just tell me I'm crazy. But if there is potential that something was altered or some information was/will be accessed, please let me know.

My phone did have a PIN number that you had to enter to access the phone, but I'm guessing there might be a way to get around that if the guy knows how to fix a phone.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Anything is possible, but it sounds like a bit of paranoia to me. The repair shop may have been tiny, but if it's a legitimate business, I'm sure you're safe. I have had my phone forget networks before, so I don't think that's indicative of anything sinister. I'm sure PINs can be hacked, but I'm doubting this guy would be using the "phone repair" cloak to be a hacker and steel average joe's info.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I suggest installing an Anti Virus App and scan the device for viruses or anything that may alert the App to something that shouldn't be on the device. You can also factory reset to be extra safe. As suggested above, it should be OK if the company was reputable. Though, it never hurts to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. just curious - how was your identity stolen?
2. if you are really paranoid - do a hard reset back to factory fresh, resync/reinstall everything manually from scratch, change ALL of your passwords, install Lookout.

good luck.

ProtestTS

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to connect to my home network, and was able to disconnect and "Forget Network".
However, the two remaining unimportant (and out of range) networks that were not deleted after the repair CANNOT be forgotten... There is no option to "Forget Network" after I hold press it for a few seconds - all it shows is the Security of the network.

This makes me believe that this may have been a Wifi glitch where all of the saved networks got deleted but only two disappeared from the list. Could this be the case? Is there any way or any folder where I can wipe all network info and start from scratch?

To answer Gekko's question, I believe it had to do with using a credit card while travelling. Everything is okay now, but it was a rough year haha!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt