Do I Really Need An Anti-Virus?

isamsson

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I just recently got a Samsung Note 2. On my PC and Laptop, I keep things pretty locked down with security and anti-virus. However, now I'm reading that it is very important to also run an anti-virus app for security, as the Note 2 is more like a tablet with its Android OS than it is a regular phone.

I was wondering if this is true and it necessary to run one (just to be safe). Would I regret not having it as a backup and any advice on which kind is best would be appreciate (I'm willing to buy it so it doesn't have to be free).

THANKS!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just recently got a Samsung Note 2. On my PC and Laptop, I keep things pretty locked down with security and anti-virus. However, now I'm reading that it is very important to also run an anti-virus app for security, as the Note 2 is more like a tablet with its Android OS than it is a regular phone.

I was wondering if this is true and it necessary to run one (just to be safe). Would I regret not having it as a backup and any advice on which kind is best would be appreciate (I'm willing to buy it so it doesn't have to be free).

THANKS!

Welcome to the forums. For the most part, if you stick to downloading apps off the Play Store, you should be fine. However, there is nothing wrong with a little caution. I use AVG, and I like it.

isamsson

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. For the most part, if you stick to downloading apps off the Play Store, you should be fine. However, there is nothing wrong with a little caution. I use AVG, and I like it.

Thanks. I plan to look into downloading one here soon. However, I'm not really sure what features I should look for in a good anti-virus for smartphone. What makes one better than the other as far as features. I'd like something safe but with a VERY low profile.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I use Lookout. In addition to scanning installed software for problems it will scan your settings and let you know if something is wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I plan to look into downloading one here soon. However, I'm not really sure what features I should look for in a good anti-virus for smartphone. What makes one better than the other as far as features. I'd like something safe but with a VERY low profile.

For the most part they all do the same thing. AVG, Lookout, Avast, are probably the biggest three and can easily do what you need them to. eds817 suggested Lookout for scanning settings, and AVG does the same thing.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've used Avast and Lookout in the past. I've never even seen one bad virus or anything malicious in 4 years of Android use. I don't currently use either but I won't be hesitant to use them again in the future.

NabeUdon

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you download external apks and run stuff like DS emulators which run off ROMs downloaded from the internet, you are better off with an antivirus program such as Lookout or Avast.

If you only stick to downloading stuff from the Play Store, chances are that you do not need any antivirus software. However, there have been times when Google does not yank malicious apps off Play quick enough.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance