Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eds817
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do I Really Need An Anti-Virus?

I just recently got a Samsung Note 2. On my PC and Laptop, I keep things pretty locked down with security and anti-virus. However, now I'm reading that it is very important to also run an anti-virus app for security, as the Note 2 is more like a tablet with its Android OS than it is a regular phone.

I was wondering if this is true and it necessary to run one (just to be safe). Would I regret not having it as a backup and any advice on which kind is best would be appreciate (I'm willing to buy it so it doesn't have to be free).

THANKS!

Global Posts
    25,309 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Do I Really Need An Anti-Virus?

Quote Originally Posted by isamsson View Post
    I just recently got a Samsung Note 2. On my PC and Laptop, I keep things pretty locked down with security and anti-virus. However, now I'm reading that it is very important to also run an anti-virus app for security, as the Note 2 is more like a tablet with its Android OS than it is a regular phone.

I was wondering if this is true and it necessary to run one (just to be safe). Would I regret not having it as a backup and any advice on which kind is best would be appreciate (I'm willing to buy it so it doesn't have to be free).

THANKS!
    Welcome to the forums. For the most part, if you stick to downloading apps off the Play Store, you should be fine. However, there is nothing wrong with a little caution. I use AVG, and I like it.
    ​
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. For the most part, if you stick to downloading apps off the Play Store, you should be fine. However, there is nothing wrong with a little caution. I use AVG, and I like it.
    Thanks. I plan to look into downloading one here soon. However, I'm not really sure what features I should look for in a good anti-virus for smartphone. What makes one better than the other as far as features. I'd like something safe but with a VERY low profile.

I use Lookout. In addition to scanning installed software for problems it will scan your settings and let you know if something is wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    indysteve9 likes this.

Global Posts
    25,309 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by isamsson View Post
    Thanks. I plan to look into downloading one here soon. However, I'm not really sure what features I should look for in a good anti-virus for smartphone. What makes one better than the other as far as features. I'd like something safe but with a VERY low profile.
    For the most part they all do the same thing. AVG, Lookout, Avast, are probably the biggest three and can easily do what you need them to. eds817 suggested Lookout for scanning settings, and AVG does the same thing.
    ​
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Here's where I go to get unbiased reviews. Great, informative site with everything in a nice chart. They have it broken down for different OS's, even Android. http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

I've used Avast and Lookout in the past. I've never even seen one bad virus or anything malicious in 4 years of Android use. I don't currently use either but I won't be hesitant to use them again in the future.
    TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) • CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) • Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G • Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked • Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail • Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 • DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

If you download external apks and run stuff like DS emulators which run off ROMs downloaded from the internet, you are better off with an antivirus program such as Lookout or Avast.

If you only stick to downloading stuff from the Play Store, chances are that you do not need any antivirus software. However, there have been times when Google does not yank malicious apps off Play quick enough.