Low Charge amp Readings with factory chargers

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've started noticing that the Samsung chargers aren't running anywhere near the rated output they are suppose to be running. I noticed this with both mine that came with my GN2 and the one that came with my wife's GS4. I'm using the Galaxy Charging Current app and I see most of the time, when I plug it in, it reads around 300-400mA. Even plugging it in, using the white cable or any other USB cable into a computer USB port, I get 400+mA. I have a cheap automotive 2.1A unit that always pushed at least 900mA when I have my phone plugged into it.

Last night, I plugged in my phone with a starting charge of about 8-10% remaining. This was at 11pmish. By 4am, I had only reached 33% and the GCC app was still showing that I was only getting about 300mA's. When I first plugged it in, the reading was around 400mA's. I had everything turned on on it(WiFi, Bt, Sync, GPS) except for the phone service itself.

Is it possible that both of the power transformers in the factory plugs have gone bad and are not putting out the required voltages? I have a couple of decent quality DMM's but do not know exactly how or what pins I would need to probe to see what's coming out of it. Is there such a thing as a USB/MicorUSB port that allows meter readings?

Has anyone else had similar problems to this that can document it? I had an issue with it early on but discovered the random charging issue was attributable to the charge card inside the phone not having a proper connection. after I plugged the card back into the main board it's not happened since.

Bajanbox

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
It's the stock Sammy cables that's hindering your current output...
I changed mine and now I'm getting 1900 mAh out. Try finding something thicker...
Check out Galaxy charging current app on the play store to measure your current coming into the phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've started noticing that the Samsung chargers aren't running anywhere near the rated output they are suppose to be running. I noticed this with both mine that came with my GN2 and the one that came with my wife's GS4. I'm using the Galaxy Charging Current app and I see most of the time, when I plug it in, it reads around 300-400mA. Even plugging it in, using the white cable or any other USB cable into a computer USB port, I get 400+mA. I have a cheap automotive 2.1A unit that always pushed at least 900mA when I have my phone plugged into it.

Last night, I plugged in my phone with a starting charge of about 8-10% remaining. This was at 11pmish. By 4am, I had only reached 33% and the GCC app was still showing that I was only getting about 300mA's. When I first plugged it in, the reading was around 400mA's. I had everything turned on on it(WiFi, Bt, Sync, GPS) except for the phone service itself.

Is it possible that both of the power transformers in the factory plugs have gone bad and are not putting out the required voltages? I have a couple of decent quality DMM's but do not know exactly how or what pins I would need to probe to see what's coming out of it. Is there such a thing as a USB/MicorUSB port that allows meter readings?

Has anyone else had similar problems to this that can document it? I had an issue with it early on but discovered the random charging issue was attributable to the charge card inside the phone not having a proper connection. after I plugged the card back into the main board it's not happened since.

It's the stock Sammy cables that's hindering your current output...
I changed mine and now I'm getting 1900 mAh out. Try finding something thicker...
Check out Galaxy charging current app on the play store to measure your current coming into the phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I am using that app. That's how I noticed I was getting such different amp reading between the factory plug and my Mediasource Plug I have in my truck. I'll try using the USB cable from my vehicle with the Samsung plug and see what I get.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You are correct sir. I just got my other cables and tried them out on both samsung plugs. I went from 3-400mA up to 1200-1800mA readings. I'm going to have to start looking for more high power USB cables.

Thanks

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I went online last night to Monoprice.com and ordered a few differnt lengths of 28/24awg micro usb cables. I'll try them all out and see if they can carry the current better. Two of my thicker(possibly 24g) usb cables definitely made a difference

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO