Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Getting my Note 3 to be awesome again after a factory unlock

Hi All

My first post!

So, I finished my contract with AT&T and had them unlock my Galaxy Note 3. I did this because I've moved back to the UK and didn't need my US contract anymore.

So. There's a tonne of crap (apps and general operating system stuff) on my phone and I'd really like to bring my phone back to as if it never was an AT&T phone. Basically raw Android.

I've been digging for a few days online and either I don't know how to ask this question properly (most likely) or its an uncommon question - but I can't for the life of me figure out how to start.

Thank you all!!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Getting my Note 3 to be awesome again after a factory unlock

Welcome to AC!!

Are you asking what apps you can safely delete?
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."

You can root and remove the att apps

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Moto G
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you both.

So I want to remove more than just the apps. It's more the at&t specific version of android I'd like to get rid of. It does annoying things when I'm in the UK. Boooo.

So if I root the phone, I am assuming then I need to install KitKat? Is that right?

Mega thanks!

Yes, root your phone and install a ROM that's pure vanilla Android. I have the T-Mobile variant of the Note 3 but I installed an IOKP ROM which is basic Android. Even the gapps I installed are basic (gmail, maps, calendar).
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Thanked by:

What vdub said.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Moto G
    VDub2174 likes this.

No. You don't have to install Kitkat to root your phone. On a Windows computer, go to www.kingoapp.com. On the top right click on devices, find your phone, click on it, then continue to file, disregard the pop-up, download the file. Install. On your phone, go to settings, general, about device. On the build number, tap it 4 times to enable developer options. Go back to general, developer options, make sure to check mark USB debugging. Plug your phone in to your computer. Let Kingo find your phone, when it does click "Root". Your phone will reboot. Find the "SuperSu" icon, click on it to make sure everything is ok. Unplug your phone. Go to Google play and in the search box type "Uninstall". Find the app with a red icon called "Uninstall (ROOT)". You can Uninstall anything with that app so be careful and Google apps and processes you are not sure about.

***** Make sure your phone is charged to at least 70% before doing this. *****

Also if you want, you can download the "Xposed installer" with the "Xblast module" to remove AT&T from the Statusbar and anywhere else for that matter.