How to root your AT&T Galaxy Note 3

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
towelroot.com works from right on the device.

What I wrote above was true for the day I wrote it but now indeed towelroot is a wonderful tool. This dev is great even those of us who unfortunately had Kernel version 3.4.0-257432 can now use towelroot directly on the device and it works like a charm!

cmootz

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes towelroot works amazingly well.

But how about getting back to factory image and removing custom recovery to get something done inside the warranty? Flashing back is a whole new ballgame with this bootloader. It sucks. I hate ATT because they think we're stupid and will never buy another sammy phone again because of this. I'm getting rid of this POS and buying a nexus.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If all you did was root and/or install Safestrap, you can uninstall both of them. (Uninstall Safestrap, then remove busybox, then uninstall root.)

If you flashed a different ROM and don't have a backup of your stock ROM, there's a UrDroid thread on XDA that will give you an Odin-installable rooted stock ROM (use the Odexed one, in case they actually check.) Install it and unroot it.

Unfortunately, with more people bringing their phones to work at large corporations, I think we'rre going to see more manufacturers locking phones down. The percentage of people who care whether the bootloader is locked or not is tiny. It's like orphan drugs - if they're not going to make a large amount of money selling unlocked phones, they're not going to design them.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I used Towel Root and went without any issues. Thanks Rukbat for your input...but one further question to add. If I've installed a rom on the "stock slot" using safestrap; and if I did backup the orginal rom...then I could flash the original rom back to stocked slot and then unroot?

Thanks in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You could - but rooting sometimes leaves junk, which the update picks up and refuses to update. Also some apps running rooted change system stuff. (Updating a rooted phone can brick it, depending on what you did while rooted.)

Try N900AUCUCNC2 ODIN Files - Post #136 - XDA Forums It gives you a stock out-of-the-box 4.4.2 phone. (Use the 4 files in the Odin slots to return it back so far that you'll have to run the setup screen again. The all-in-one updates to 4.4.2, but leaves your files there - and if you have a terminal, or some app that won't run without root, someone may notice.

Savage Warrior1

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Guys, i'm trying to root my phone. Does this still work or is it terribly outdated? Is there a better way for my sm-n900A lollipop 5.0? It seems I need to revert back to kitkat to root? What is safestrap? People seem to post that it's related to being about to complete the rooting process. Any information would be very helpful thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For the AT&T Note 3 on 5.0, see forum.xda-developers.com/note-3-att/general/update-procedure-lollipop-5-0-oc1-t3063760/ walter.white has rooted a stock 5.0 AT&T ROM and posted it for us to flash.

Lakelee Whitt

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I am trying to get my note 3 back to the factory style.. Unfortunately safestrap is still on here.. I have uninstalled super us and pimp my ROM... Please help