Any word on Wireless/Qi charging?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would suspect we will hear more about it as we get closer to launch. It's available on the GS3 and GS4 so I don't see why not.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping it has Qi Charging without having to change the back. I have the S4 and had to change the back to get the Qi charging working. I like the idea of the faux leather back...I think it's smart..less slippery, and unique. I just hope that over time with the oil from your hand that it doesn't get "smooth" and lose its texture.

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think with the Note 2 you could just buy a little thing that fit under the regular battery cover. On the VZW version (and Sprint, I believe), the pins for wireless charging were on the device, but the plastic molding covered them. Let's just hope they don't do that this time around.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping it has Qi Charging without having to change the back. I have the S4 and had to change the back to get the Qi charging working. I like the idea of the faux leather back...I think it's smart..less slippery, and unique. I just hope that over time with the oil from your hand that it doesn't get "smooth" and lose its texture.

Nice thing about removable backs is if it gets scratched or soiled you can replace it. I hear people complaining that it's not real leather but I think with real leather you have to be more careful about it getting stained with oil from your hands. Leather like plastic is a more practical material for a phone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What is the deal, how many cows must be killed for a gadget that will be tossed away in a year or two. It's simply not practical, not ethical and just crazy to think Samsung would put real leather on the phone. Do you want to pay $100 for a leather battery door, I am sure someone will make one. I wouldn't pay $100 for wood on my battery door either.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
If this does have wireless charging (assuming it will), it makes me consider getting a larger wireless charger due to having a N7 FHD, Note 3 and a smartwatch at some point (that I assume will have a wireless charging capability).

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I still don't see the attraction for wireless charging? From what I read the phone charges slower. Why wouldn't you just want to plug it in? Especially since the N3 has Quick charge 2.0. 75% faster charging sounds better then the convenience of not having to plug it in.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I still don't see the attraction for wireless charging? From what I read the phone charges slower. Why wouldn't you just want to plug it in? Especially since the N3 has Quick charge 2.0. 75% faster charging sounds better then the convenience of not having to plug it in.

My desire for wireless charging is a car dock with magnets to hold it in place. Then in combination with Bluetooth you could have a completely wireless solution. Would be the easiest thing to just plop the phone on and off when you get in. No lining up pins, no sliding into slot. no taking it out of the case, no plugging in wires. Also if all phones or phone cases support it you wouldn't have to change docks to fit a particular phone. I'm think of something like this but with wireless charging:

iMagnet Mount for Smartphones | iMagnet

View attachment 79656

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm think of something like this but with wireless charging:

iMagnet Mount for Smartphones | iMagnet

View attachment 79656

I like that idea, but does anyone make these for Android phones? Also do any of them support wireless charging? The one shown holds the phone, but it need needs to be plugged in. If your going to attempt to hack one together i'd be interested in the results, but the base would still need power and require me to run a wire. Once again I personally would still favor plugging it in for faster charging. I see where your coming from though.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I like that idea, but does anyone make these for Android phones? Also do any of them support wireless charging? The one shown holds the phone, but it need needs to be plugged in. If your going to attempt to hack one together i'd be interested in the results, but the base would still need power and require me to run a wire. Once again I personally would still favor plugging it in for faster charging. I see where your coming from though.

The iMagnet one is only a magnetic mount, no power. It isn't restricted to the iPhone you can attach the metal plate to the inside of many Android cases.The one below is a wireless charger but uses spring loaded arms to hold the phone.

New Car Mount Cradle for LG WCP 300 Wireless Charger 4 5 6" Smart FIT2 Gel Type | eBay
$T2eC16hHJGEFFmtgllTSBRyCg5OtbQ~~60_3.JPG

I haven't seen anything that is a cross between the two that would be a magnetic holder and wireless charger. I'm contemplating making one by modifying a dock. Perhaps cutting off those arms flush with the charger face and embedding them with rare earth magnets and then placing corresponding metal plates inside a phone case.

rich_halvorson

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice the three pins in the charging area? There are two up top for NFC that you can see are by the two nobs on the cover, but the what I would assume is the wireless pins is a row pf three contacts. I hope they didn't decide to move to another standard and not tell anyone.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Looks like we definitely have wireless charging judging by one of the pictures here:
Eyes on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 official cases | Android Central

Also, judging by the way the charging pad looks - it's likely Qi-compatible since this looks identical to Samsung's current pad. There's even a wireless-charging S-View Cover. Let's hope Verizon doesn't gimp this up though!

That's a good picture. In the picture with the S Charger Kit the protective covers above with the ribs remind me of the bottom of a cockroach especially the brownish one on the left. Yuck

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice the three pins in the charging area? There are two up top for NFC that you can see are by the two nobs on the cover, but the what I would assume is the wireless pins is a row pf three contacts. I hope they didn't decide to move to another standard and not tell anyone.

Which picture are you referring to? Can you post a link? Thanks

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc