Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any word on Wireless/Qi charging?

Haven't seen it mentioned.

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Default Re: Any word on Wireless/Qi charging?

I would suspect we will hear more about it as we get closer to launch. It's available on the GS3 and GS4 so I don't see why not.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Just hope VZW doesn't mess with it like they did with the Note2

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

I'm hoping it has Qi Charging without having to change the back. I have the S4 and had to change the back to get the Qi charging working. I like the idea of the faux leather back...I think it's smart..less slippery, and unique. I just hope that over time with the oil from your hand that it doesn't get "smooth" and lose its texture.

I think with the Note 2 you could just buy a little thing that fit under the regular battery cover. On the VZW version (and Sprint, I believe), the pins for wireless charging were on the device, but the plastic molding covered them. Let's just hope they don't do that this time around.
    Current Phone: T-Mobile LG G3
    Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    I'm hoping it has Qi Charging without having to change the back. I have the S4 and had to change the back to get the Qi charging working. I like the idea of the faux leather back...I think it's smart..less slippery, and unique. I just hope that over time with the oil from your hand that it doesn't get "smooth" and lose its texture.
    Nice thing about removable backs is if it gets scratched or soiled you can replace it. I hear people complaining that it's not real leather but I think with real leather you have to be more careful about it getting stained with oil from your hands. Leather like plastic is a more practical material for a phone.

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

What is the deal, how many cows must be killed for a gadget that will be tossed away in a year or two. It's simply not practical, not ethical and just crazy to think Samsung would put real leather on the phone. Do you want to pay $100 for a leather battery door, I am sure someone will make one. I wouldn't pay $100 for wood on my battery door either.
    atrain311qes109 likes this.

If this does have wireless charging (assuming it will), it makes me consider getting a larger wireless charger due to having a N7 FHD, Note 3 and a smartwatch at some point (that I assume will have a wireless charging capability).
    Sprint: HTC Touch, HTC Hero, HTC Evo 3D, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    Samsung Series 3 Chromebook
    2013 Nexus 7

ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

I still don't see the attraction for wireless charging? From what I read the phone charges slower. Why wouldn't you just want to plug it in? Especially since the N3 has Quick charge 2.0. 75% faster charging sounds better then the convenience of not having to plug it in.
    k425 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kca2000 View Post
    I still don't see the attraction for wireless charging? From what I read the phone charges slower. Why wouldn't you just want to plug it in? Especially since the N3 has Quick charge 2.0. 75% faster charging sounds better then the convenience of not having to plug it in.
    My desire for wireless charging is a car dock with magnets to hold it in place. Then in combination with Bluetooth you could have a completely wireless solution. Would be the easiest thing to just plop the phone on and off when you get in. No lining up pins, no sliding into slot. no taking it out of the case, no plugging in wires. Also if all phones or phone cases support it you wouldn't have to change docks to fit a particular phone. I'm think of something like this but with wireless charging:

iMagnet Mount for Smartphones | iMagnet

Attachment 79656

ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    I'm think of something like this but with wireless charging:

iMagnet Mount for Smartphones | iMagnet

Attachment 79656
    I like that idea, but does anyone make these for Android phones? Also do any of them support wireless charging? The one shown holds the phone, but it need needs to be plugged in. If your going to attempt to hack one together i'd be interested in the results, but the base would still need power and require me to run a wire. Once again I personally would still favor plugging it in for faster charging. I see where your coming from though.

Quote Originally Posted by kca2000 View Post
    I like that idea, but does anyone make these for Android phones? Also do any of them support wireless charging? The one shown holds the phone, but it need needs to be plugged in. If your going to attempt to hack one together i'd be interested in the results, but the base would still need power and require me to run a wire. Once again I personally would still favor plugging it in for faster charging. I see where your coming from though.
    The iMagnet one is only a magnetic mount, no power. It isn't restricted to the iPhone you can attach the metal plate to the inside of many Android cases.The one below is a wireless charger but uses spring loaded arms to hold the phone.

New Car Mount Cradle for LG WCP 300 Wireless Charger 4 5 6" Smart FIT2 Gel Type | eBay
    Any word on Wireless/Qi charging?-t2ec16hhjgeffmtglltsbrycg5otbq-60_3.jpg

I haven't seen anything that is a cross between the two that would be a magnetic holder and wireless charger. I'm contemplating making one by modifying a dock. Perhaps cutting off those arms flush with the charger face and embedding them with rare earth magnets and then placing corresponding metal plates inside a phone case.
    kca2000 likes this.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Anyone notice the three pins in the charging area? There are two up top for NFC that you can see are by the two nobs on the cover, but the what I would assume is the wireless pins is a row pf three contacts. I hope they didn't decide to move to another standard and not tell anyone.

Looks like we definitely have wireless charging judging by one of the pictures here:
    Eyes on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 official cases | Android Central

Also, judging by the way the charging pad looks - it's likely Qi-compatible since this looks identical to Samsung's current pad. There's even a wireless-charging S-View Cover. Let's hope Verizon doesn't gimp this up though!
    Current Phone: T-Mobile LG G3
    Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTongue View Post
    Looks like we definitely have wireless charging judging by one of the pictures here:
    Eyes on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 official cases | Android Central

Also, judging by the way the charging pad looks - it's likely Qi-compatible since this looks identical to Samsung's current pad. There's even a wireless-charging S-View Cover. Let's hope Verizon doesn't gimp this up though!
    That's a good picture. In the picture with the S Charger Kit the protective covers above with the ribs remind me of the bottom of a cockroach especially the brownish one on the left. Yuck

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would think qi too, but what would the third pin be for? Double strength qi with two coils?

Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    Anyone notice the three pins in the charging area? There are two up top for NFC that you can see are by the two nobs on the cover, but the what I would assume is the wireless pins is a row pf three contacts. I hope they didn't decide to move to another standard and not tell anyone.
    Which picture are you referring to? Can you post a link? Thanks

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Look at around 20 seconds into the video
    Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 is bigger, faster, thinner, and lighter, but is it any better? | The Verge
    The two pins at top look to line up with nubs that should be nfc on the back cover though it might not be in this prerelease cover
    That leaves three pins to the left of the battery

Samsung doesn't seem to big on building this in, but I'd be a fan :-).

GS4/iPhone5

Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    Look at around 20 seconds into the video
    Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 is bigger, faster, thinner, and lighter, but is it any better? | The Verge
    The two pins at top look to line up with nubs that should be nfc on the back cover though it might not be in this prerelease cover
    That leaves three pins to the left of the battery
    Interesting, thanks. Yes 3 pins, seems like dual coils to increase the current sounds plausible.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I'm really pleased the N3 has qi wireless charging with the correct back cover.

I'm getting the S View Qi Cover in black. I use a Zens single white charging pad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Attachment 79859

This picture shows it will sell a kit for wireless charging. Similar to the S4

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

There is one negative to wireless charging. The battery doors are bigger, meaning cases won't fit properly and you lose the S-View window case as well.
    kca2000 likes this.

Had this with my short time with the Palm Pre before dumping it for the EVO. I prefer the wire because it doesn't cost me anything extra and I like to use my device while charging like I normally would.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Doesn't anyone read. Samsung is selling the S View cover case in a qi version. I mentioned this in my last post in this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    mcat66 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast