Will this version of the Note be a true universal device?

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knew the model numbers and/or specs for the Note 3 on the US carriers. From what they hinted at during the keynote, it seems that the device will be the same device for all carriers globally. I know this has not been an issue in the past with TMO and ATT versions, but the Sprint and Verizon version were different due to the CDMA radios needed. So in turn, the device for those carriers was slightly different, or will all devices be the same internally, with certain bands and/or radios being dormant based on the carrier that is getting the device. Or (wishful thinking) would be VZW version be VoLTE so it would not even need the CDMA radios (HOPEFULLY)

The reason that I ask is because I currently have VZW, but when my contract is up, I am going to switch to TMO. I dont want to buy the VZW version, then not be able to use it on TMo in a few months.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Information on the us spec versions haven?t been released yet. But based on other recent phones, it should be factory sim unlocked, so you can use it on tmobile. Some phones had the apn locked so you had to root the phone for data.

Since the s4 had band 4 lte(same as tmobile) , most likely, the note 3 would have it as well, but it might be dormant until Verizon activates it via an update. Whether or not you would get 3g or 4G (non lte) would depend on the specifics of the radio provided, which isn't known at this time.

A device doesn't need cdma radios to operate on Verizon (i. e. Nexus 7).

Verizon has indicated that it would release volte capable phone this year, but didn't say which phone. Next year, Verizon said that it would start to release some lte only devices (no cdma radios)

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
when i preordered this morning i noticed that it asked at some point "will you be using the phone internationally". thought that was interesting. i'm not so i didn't check the box, so i don't know what the deal was with that.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
when i preordered this morning i noticed that it asked at some point "will you be using the phone internationally". thought that was interesting. i'm not so i didn't check the box, so i don't know what the deal was with that.

It'd be a godawful trick if phone companies use some way to lock their customers into using only their own international service. Say, like an embedded SIM that showed up on the VZW purchase receipt. (See adjacent threads.)

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It'd be a godawful trick if phone companies use some way to lock their customers into using only their own international service. Say, like an embedded SIM that showed up on the VZW purchase receipt. (See adjacent threads.)

i'd put nothing past verizons compacity to lock down our phones in any and all ways...grrrrrrr

brshull

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, of the people who pre-ordered on Verizon, do all of your receipts show "an embedded SIM"?

Mine has this:

DIRECTSIM4G-D

no embedded sim was mentioned. Did you check the box for international travel? I did at first and they wanted me to set up with their global roaming (and start paying for it btw). I did not want to start paying for it since I am not planning on traveling until next year so I went back and unchecked the box. When I went back to the spot where you select items for your plan they removed the options for global roaming.

Also they informed me my current 4G sim from my gnex would transfer to the new unit. Do you have a 4G sim with your current phone?

Brian

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine has this:

DIRECTSIM4G-D

no embedded sim was mentioned. Did you check the box for international travel? I did at first and they wanted me to set up with their global roaming (and start paying for it btw). I did not want to start paying for it since I am not planning on traveling until next year so I went back and unchecked the box. When I went back to the spot where you select items for your plan they removed the options for global roaming.

Also they informed me my current 4G sim from my gnex would transfer to the new unit. Do you have a 4G sim with your current phone?

Brian

Haven't ordered mine yet, but this business of trying to get one pay off the bat for global roaming is very, very shady.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, of the people who pre-ordered on Verizon, do all of your receipts show "an embedded SIM"?

ok so i looked at my confirmation and mine also says embedded sim.....i just called verizon and customer service told me they are all coming with the embedded sim cards like the iphone 5.....i queried how then if we decided to switch the phone to a different line on our plan how that would work. she told me that they just reset the switch the number to the different sim card. i said, so the old sim cards carried you phone number and information to different phones, but these new sims are specific to the phone and the phone number if switched is the thing that gets switched around. she said yes, no big problem they do it all day, reassigning lines to embedded sims. i'm worried.....it just sounded strange. she said switching lines with the embedded sims cannot be done online but i would have to call verizon. i'm going to try asking question on the online chat so that i have a transcript of the answer.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i called verizon back and talked to someone again about upgrading to the note 3 and this one said that no the sim card will be removable, i asked, so i can move the card from my note 2 to the note 3 when it comes, he said yes.

I'm hearing circus music in my head....what is the real answer?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
It is a circus. However, if the SIM isn't removable, it precludes my scenario: to be able to go overseas, buy a local SIM, and make all services there infinitely less expensive than those offered by Verizon Global. This is most likely to bury my plan to get GN3. :'(

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It is a circus. However, if the SIM isn't removable, it precludes my scenario: to be able to go overseas, buy a local SIM, and make all services there infinitely less expensive than those offered by Verizon Global. This is most likely to bury my plan to get GN3. :'(

I'd be interested to hear what verizon is telling other people.....

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
It po's me to no end if Verizon thusly strong-arms their customers to use their international services only. If people put up with this crap, what can prevent them from doing the same with every new phone from now on?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Verizon can even legally have an embedded sim. Verizon provides most current devices factory sim unlocked. I believe that this is due to the fcc rules on band 13.They are the only carrier to provide phones factory sim unlocked.

Also, Verizon was fined by the fcc for blocking tethering apps

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine has this:

DIRECTSIM4G-D

no embedded sim was mentioned.

Brian

Where are you seeing this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
this is cut from my email confirmation......notice the embedded sim at the bottom...

Your Plan
Nationwide Talk & Text- 1400
Monthly Line Access $9.99
Plan Features
Text Messaging Pay Per Message -
Streamlined Billing -
Decline Equipment Protection -
Caller ID -
BUSY TRANSFER -
3-Way Calling -
CALL DELIVERY -
Call Waiting -
No Answer / Busy Transfer -
Call Forwarding -
Basic Voice Mail -
OTA SOFTWAREUPDATE-$0.00 -
SDM REMOTE QUERY ENABLED -
4G DATA TRANSPORT -
Data Roaming USA & Canada -
RTR FOR CAPPED PLANS $0 -
Pay Per Message -
DYNAMIC-PRIVATE IP -
4G INTERNET ACCESS -
4G APPLICATION ACCESS -
PICTURE MESSAGE PROVISIONING -
FRIENDS & FAMILY ALP - 10 -
CONSUMER PDA -
2GB Data Bundle with Personal Email $30.00

Additional Items
Embedded SIM $0.00
Shipping Fee $0.00

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yep, where you have embedded sim, I have DIRECTSIM4G-D

i wonder what the difference is....maybe i'll call them tomorrow and ask the rep to look at my order specifically and also throw out your wording.

i just googled directsim4g - d and it looks to be a model number for the verizon sim card.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance