TouchWiz vs. STOCK

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I'm coming from a GNex and I've never used a TouchWiz device before. How different is it than stock?? And should I keep using Nova Launcher?? I'd like to give TouchWiz a try, but if it's as horrible as people say then it's back to Nova for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I personally like TW. I think the added value it adds over stock Android is important to me.

I own a Galaxy Nexus with stock Android, and I use it sparingly. I find that the stock experience is so limiting that I miss the features that TW offers.

Some people call their features gimmicks, but if used regularly you find it hard to use a phone without them.

One feature I personally enjoy is the ability to lift the phone to my ear when I'm texting someone and without touching anything the phone dials the person. I use it all the time, and while others may not think so, it's no gimmick to me.

Posted via Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I personally like TW. I think the added value it adds over stock Android is important to me.

I own a Galaxy Nexus with stock Android, and I use it sparingly. I find that the stock experience is so limiting that I miss the features that TW offers.

Some people call their features gimmicks, but if used regularly you find it hard to use a phone without them.

One feature I personally enjoy is the ability to lift the phone to my ear when I'm texting someone and without touching anything the phone dials the person. I use it all the time, and while others may not think so, it's no gimmick to me.

Looks like both of us have different opinions on Touchwiz .

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind touchwiz and I do like some of the features it adds. But I think it is ugly. For some reason it bothers me that the app drawer button is on the right side of the row. So I use nova on my Note 2. It changes the look enough without taking away the features I like. I don't want to flash a stock rom either because of the loss of features. Especially the s pen software.

Noted via tapatalk

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan of TouchWiz too.

I usually spend a day or two playing/setting it up, afterwards I install Nova Launcher Prime with HD Widgets, Simple Text and WidgetLocker.

Besides the simple, cleaner look I love the GESTURES that comes with Prime.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There really is no reason not to load Nova Launcher.

I don't mind touchwiz, but there was allot of time on my old captivate i ran ADW to mix things up and provide a new look and feel. The big thing is you never really get rid of touchwiz, you can just mask some of it look and feel. There are some really good things that come as part of it. Just take some time customize it and then if you still can't get what you like add on the custom software that help fill the gaps for what you want like NOVA Launcher

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The customizable settings tabs in notification bar alone is worth having TW. People call the features on TW gimmicks but they do make things easier and quicker to get done. Mostly. I can get around my S4 much quicker than my RAZR. Samsung does have some "gimmicks" in there but some stuff is really usable. Only thing on TW I don't like is dialer. But android dialer sucks too. Also wish with a 5" screen I could have more than 4x4 grid.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I like Touchwiz, LOVE stock, but enjoy some features on Samsung's UX. I go with Nova Launcher Prime to keep the device peppy where Touchwiz lags.

Last edited:

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of people who hate Touchwiz because they are the equivalent of Hipsters and they think it makes them cool to hate on anything that's not basic Android.

Touchwiz is good and Samsung adds a lot of features. If you really don't like it you can just install another launcher... no big deal.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of people who hate Touchwiz because they are the equivalent of Hipsters and they think it makes them cool to hate on anything that's not basic Android.

Touchwiz is good and Samsung adds a lot of features. If you really don't like it you can just install another launcher... no big deal.

I like TW, but it is laggy. Not much, but noticeable difference between it and my N7 FHD.

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
TouchWiz is aesthetically repulsive to me, but the software additions of multi-window, pen window, air view, and little things like having an "Ongoing" separation in the notification pane, make up for that and make it superior to stock and all other skins for my taste.

I was a little worried that I would get the Note 3 and then Android 5.0 would come out a month later and add a lot of the features I find stock lacking , but now that it's been officially called Android 4.4, I figure it will be more of an iterative upgrade. And even if it did add a lot of features, it definitely still wouldn't have an Spen equivalent or expandable storage.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
TouchWiz is aesthetically repulsive to me, but the software additions of multi-window, pen window, air view, and little things like having an "Ongoing" separation in the notification pane, make up for that and make it superior to stock and all other skins for my taste.

I was a little worried that I would get the Note 3 and then Android 5.0 would come out a month later and add a lot of the features I find stock lacking , but now that it's been officially called Android 4.4, I figure it will be more of an iterative upgrade. And even if it did add a lot of features, it definitely still wouldn't have an Spen equivalent or expandable storage.

Outta curiosity, does anybody know what earth-shattering changes may be expected when 4.x will become 5.0?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Outta curiosity, does anybody know what earth-shattering changes may be expected when 4.x will become 5.0?

No one knows. But my guess is that it won't be anything "earth shattering" as Android is beyond the point where it needs those types of changes.

Noted via tapatalk

Roundpotato

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
No one knows. But my guess is that it won't be anything "earth shattering" as Android is beyond the point where it needs those types of changes.

Noted via tapatalk

Some sort of multi-window function would seem necessary, at least on the tablet front, to compete with Windows 8.

deejayburnout

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You know. I really have no idea what touchwiz is. I rooted my device the day I got it so I have never used it.

Off to Google it now.:rolleyes:

Sent via my mobile communications device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463