Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Raptor007
  • 1 Post By Diablohtr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How long do you think it will take for the pros to root the Note 3?

I have a stock s2 and have never really played with rooting. I've only read about it. This time, I think I'm going to take the plunge.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Default Re: How long do you think it will take for the pros to root the Note 3?

I am curious to how good the Note 2 custom ROMs worked in regards to functionality. If they don't work 100%, then I have no interest in them. I would like my phone rooted though in order to run apps that can't run on mon rooted devices and to keep my options open in case there are good ROMs out there in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    4,950 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I would ballpark 1-2 weeks at most. Lots of talented folks especially Chainfire who seems to be on top of rooting and pushing out new root methods. Samsung devices always get a big developer base so the other question is how long will it take before a custom recovery exploit is found so we can run custom ROMs. If anything I would prefer a stock ROM just with all the bloatware removed.
    UsedName likes this.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

I think it will be rooted before mass release. The roms will come later though.

Samsung / Carriers are getting stricter with locked Bootloaders. Some time soon you may have to sign a waiver and void the warranty to unlock the bootloader.
    Some of the bootloaders can be cracked some can't. I'm just hoping that Samsung doesn't go this route like others have!
    Or
    There will be a developer version of the device that makes everyone aware that you are rooting.

ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

Some advice to anyone wanting to eventually root/unlock the N3, Buy it as soon as you can. Lots of times phones get exploited early and the exploit gets plugged with an update rather quick. This will delay and in some cases make it more difficult to root/unlock the phone, a good example of this was the HTC one. It was able to be unlocked via HTC dev for like 24 hours. Then HTC shutdown the party. This particular one was not an "Exploit", but early adopters got to take advantage where people who got the phone later didn't. Just something to keep in mind for people who are considering this with the Note 3, sometimes methods just turn up. But if a carrier can easily reverse it, they will.

This phone will get allot of dev support. The Note 2 received support by allot of talented devs and seeing how the Note 3 has a big bump in specs I would bet there are many wanting to get their hands on it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    I am curious to how good the Note 2 custom ROMs worked in regards to functionality. If they don't work 100%, then I have no interest in them. I would like my phone rooted though in order to run apps that can't run on mon rooted devices and to keep my options open in case there are good ROMs out there in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

They were awesome. Everything worked on the Stock based Roms.

Only if you ran the CM Roms that were based on newer versions of Android were there any bugs.
    But they were still good enough to be Daily Drivers!

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Samsung bootloaders have always been more open than a 3$ hooker. No worries there.

Those of you that want stock roms with the bloat removed, check out Scotts clean roms. They always fit the bill and are done asap

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by NoNexus View Post
    Samsung bootloaders have always been more open than a 3$ hooker. No worries there.

Those of you that want stock roms with the bloat removed, check out Scotts clean roms. They always fit the bill and are done asap

I take it you haven't been following the S4...
    sudbury78 likes this.

Global Posts
    4,950 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Agreed, the GS4 is locked up like prom night. I suspect the GN3 if exploited the developer will likely hold out a bit to get enough user build up (bounty money) then release it in a big fashion. I will be watching XDA-Devs with a keen eye to keep from missing out.

When saying you can't unlock s4 is this he same as root? Or just unlocking to network provider?
    I just googled root s4 and got loads of links ?

Quote Originally Posted by David_LFC View Post
    When saying you can't unlock s4 is this he same as root? Or just unlocking to network provider?
    I just googled root s4 and got loads of links ?
    Sorta...

You can be SIM unlocked which allows use on other carriers / overseas.

I THINK they have root working on the S4 even with the locked bootloader. And I think only AT&T and Verizon have the newer locked up bootloader.

Global Posts
    4,950 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Correct, on the GS4 for ATT & Verizon you can get root access and enjoy the good life, BUT, we cannot get the Bootloader unlocked and enjoy the Platinum Rock Star Limo Lifestyle WE REALLY WANT. The last I checked (I have money on the bounty) it was well over $5k and climbing. I haven't checked in a couple of weeks since I returned my GS4, but I firmly support the cause with my funds going to those who get the bootloader unlocked. With luck the same work will benefit the GN3.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diablohtr View Post
    I take it you haven't been following the S4...
    I am on Sprint so I missed the memo with Verizon and ATT.

Still, it isn't Samsung it is the carrier.

Just another reason I am glad I am done with them. I had several Samsung phones on Verizon and had no issues and assumed it was still applicable.

If you root can you use custom ROMs? What does boot loader access do?

Now that I've lost unlimited data.... I just dont feel the need to root. 3GB of RAM, 32GB onboard storage, 64 SD Card. Nova Launcher Prime if I tire of TW.

Yep... I think I am done rooting for the foreseeable future.

Global Posts
    4,950 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

If you root can you use custom ROMs? What does boot loader access do?

Root gives you access to run specific apps that require root access, tethering apps, customization apps, essentially you get superuser access. The bootloader needs to be unlocked so you can install a custom recovery and with that custom ROMs. If (and very likely it will be on AT&T and Verizon) the bootloader is locked then until it's unlocked we will likely only get root access which will allow for a great deal of fun and customization just NOT what we want.

Okay so being in England I hopefully don't need to worry if I want to experiment with custom roms. That's good

At this point, all I really want is root access. I haven't cared about ROMs for a while now.

Global Posts
    4,950 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Okay so being in England I hopefully don't need to worry if I want to experiment with custom roms. That's good
    Correct. If you are not in the US you shouldn't have to worry, we just get screwed in the US.

Look on YouTube it's already rooted with instructions.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

...wait, the bootloader on the Verizon Galaxy S4 STILL HASN"T BEEN UNLOCKED?

I want my damn vanilla Android NOW on my Note 3.
    beh

Global Posts
    464 Global Posts

You can root both the S4 and the Note 3 (running 4.3) but not without some trade off. The issue isn't being able to root per se but to root and not **** off the KNOX security system build into these newer phones. So far, my understanding is that, you can't root either of these phones without irreversibly tripping the flash counter and thus voiding your phones warranty.
    Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V
    Galaxy Note 8 SGH-1467
    Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900

Quote Originally Posted by beh View Post
    You can root both the S4 and the Note 3 (running 4.3) but not without some trade off. The issue isn't being able to root per se but to root and not **** off the KNOX security system build into these newer phones. So far, my understanding is that, you can't root either of these phones without irreversibly tripping the flash counter and thus voiding your phones warranty.
    Actually, you can root some Note 3 models (Sprint and Verizon) without tripping Knox. The problem is that nothing can be done via custom recoveries like flashing roms, kernels, miss, etc., without tripping Knox.