Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default verizon note 3 will have embedded sim cards

i called customer support because i wanted to know what the deal was with switching lines on my plan to different phones and they told me its no big deal to switch lines with an embedded sim, but that i would have to call to make the switches that i couldn't do it online....totally different info from the chat answer below....and they told me its the same as the iphone 5 which has an embedded sim, which is false since my daughter got one a couple of months ago and has a regular sim.....not sure what to think.

Ashley B : Hi! My name is Ashley B with the Verizon Wireless Sales Team. Let me know which device you?re interested in and I may be able to help you save $50 when you place your order with me when adding a new line, starting new service or upgrading! May I have your name please?
    You: **********
    Ashley B : Hello ****! How may I assist you with your order today?
    You: i have been told that the note 3 has an embedded sim card, what is that....
    Ashley B : I would be happy to assist you with that today! One moment please while I look that up for you.
    Ashley B : Ok, it just means that the SIM card cannot be removed.
    You: i have had a few smartphones now with sim cards and at times the lines on my plan have switched phones and to do that they just switch their sim cards and its done. if the sim card stays in the phone how would we go about switching it to a different line?
    Ashley B : It would probably just be reset when you go to activate it on (switch it to) another line.
    You: i had a friend whose sim card became corrupted and you guys sent her a new sim card to fix the problem. so now the whole phone would be broken?
    Ashley B : If something does go wrong with the phone, it can be replaced for free with our one year warranty that comes with the phone
    You: well the problem with that is you do not get a new phone, you get a replacement which is a "refurbished" phone that someone else has had a problem with....anyway, thank you for the information, and for the record this is really a bad idea and i am very unhappy with this new development.
    You: can i request my phone not come with an embedded sim?
    Ashley B : You would actually get a brand new device. The only way you would get a certified pre owned device is if they do not make the device anymore. Then, if they run out of CPO phones, you would get the updated version of the device.
    Ashley B : You would not be able to request a different SIM card in the phone.
    Ashley B : I want to make sure you have the best experience possible today with our chat service. Did you have any additional questions for me today?
    You: i'm also a little worried about your use of the word probably. to switch the phone from one line to another, what is the exact process....
    Ashley B : You can do it online - hover your mouse over my verizon and click on activate or switch device.
    Ashley B : Then you would follow the steps online. You can do that or you can take it into a store, or call customer care, to get it switched.
    You: i have had to had a phone replaced under warranty before and was told i could not get a brand new phone.....

I'm feeling irritated and frustrated by this new development and i'm not even sure why.......it's so easy to swap out sim cards, why is verizon making it harder than it needs to be.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: verizon note 3 will have embedded sim cards

i called verizon back and this one told me that the note 3 will have a removable sim card, i said but it says embedded sim card on my confirmation. he said well that means a sim card will come in the phone. i asked, so i will be able to take it out.. he said yes.....

not sure what the real story is...now i'm confused......

Most likely incorrect on the sim card, all other Verizon 4GLTE devices have it. Also, if Verizon tried it, the fcc may see this as circumventing the block c rules that Verizon agreed to. Verizon was already fined once for violating block c rules.

In addition, you do not get new phones under warranty (outside of the return and exchange period). You would get a certified like new replacement (CLNR). CPO, on Verizon means buying a refurbished device and can either be on contract or off contract.

Sounds like you got a csr who had incorrect information on a few points

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default verizon note 3 will have embedded sim cards

When I get my N3 and if it does have an embedded SIM, it's going right back.. I'll just have to wait for the next great phone to come out...

Sent from my iPhone 5
    Last edited by Jay A whY; 09-07-2013 at 05:35 PM.

It has a removable sim card in it on Verizon.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

It wouldn't be non removable if they said your current phone's sim card is interchangeable. I have a galaxy Nexus and that's what it told me. I opted for a new sim card to come with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    It has a removable sim card in it on Verizon.
    Where on Verizon did u see that?

Sent from my iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Jay A whY View Post
    Where on Verizon did u see that?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/08/y5adymaz.jpg

Sent from my iPad
    From a friend at Verizon that I called today in which I will see Monday for my pre order. Also the Note 2 and my Gnex has a removable sim card.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    5,006 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I suspected the SIM issue was just included in the box, but I did notice on my GN2 and GS4 that it had only 2 slots, 1 for microSD and 1 for micro SIM for LTE. It's possible their is an embedded global GSM SIM or something like it. Just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    It wouldn't be non removable if they said your current phone's sim card is interchangeable. I have a galaxy Nexus and that's what it told me. I opted for a new sim card to come with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    I noticed that section of the pre-order also, and noticed the "embedded sim" in the confirmation email. I was curious what that was. Is there anyone who opted to not have a new sim card sent with their order that doesn't have "embedded sim" show up in their confirmation email?

A chat rep I spoke with also mentioned my current sim also working in the Note 3.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

i talked to 2 reps with 2 different answers and then the original post up above......one rep said it would be embedded and was nonremovable, the other said it would be removable....finding that wording in my email confirmation made me nervous. i found reference to sprint phones that have "embedded sims" and that really got me worried.

I wouldn't worry much. As soon as the fcc filing is public, you can take a look and see if it has an embedded sim, and can cancel if desired. The fcc filing should be coming soon, with the release date being about a month away

I had a last from Verizon customer service tell me I couldn't take my Sim card out of my note2 I had and put it in my daughters RAZR m because Verizon has special security feature that won't let you. I asked to speak with someone else and he laughed and said "yes you can"

Sadly you can't always trust the rep.

When I bought my droid maxx the rep at the store keep looking for a Sim slot.. I told him it was under the volume rocker.. He was surprised I knew lol..
    Using my Moto Droid Maxx

I have had a number of Verizon reps tell me inaccurate information. I am always surprised that people take what Verizon reps say as fact. I have even had a verizon rep tell me inaccurate information that was written in their terms of service.

I believe by "embedded" they mean preinstalled. It's still removeable, just ships ready to fire up from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    I believe by "embedded" they mean preinstalled. It's still removeable, just ships ready to fire up from scratch.
    Don't think so. Because they usually break it off the big card and activate it before putting it in the phone. I know up until 4glte Verizon didn't use removable Sim cards.. So to me the old phones were imbedded. These are new to be activated and installed. It is diff that the Sim on the droids I'd behind the volume rocker. But I guess it was less space to take up

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by russel5150 View Post
    Don't think so. Because they usually break it off the big card and activate it before putting it in the phone. I know up until 4glte Verizon didn't use removable Sim cards.. So to me the old phones were imbedded. These are new to be activated and installed. It is diff that the Sim on the droids I'd behind the volume rocker. But I guess it was less space to take up

Using my Moto Droid Maxx
    Verizon had sim card slots in some non 4GLTE devices, for use on gsm networks. But yeah a non 4GLTE device doesn't need a sim card slot on Verizon

Maybe it's embedded because it will be truly a global phone one sim fits all along with 40 lte band Qualcomm rf360 chip !!!

Quote Originally Posted by russel5150 View Post

Using my Moto Droid Maxx
    Previous Global phones used sim cards. Others are purely CDMA which doesn't use sims, which is why most older phones didn't have a slot. They were not embedded. LTE is a GSM based tech, which is why these new devices have sim slots.

"Breaking if off the big card and activating it" only applies if someone is buyng a new phone and doesn't have the right size or any sim from a previous device. Otherwise they would take the old sim and swap it in.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    I have never had any of my LTE verizon phones come with a sim already in the phone. i have always had to activate it online or on phone with a rep. this is why the term "embedded" made me call and question them. googling the term "embedded sim" tells you that the sim in this case is nonremovable, as in the embedded sims that sprint have. verizon may not view the term in the same way, but it is worrisome to me.

can i see verizon "embedding" a nonremovable sim in a truly global phone so that travelers have to use their super spendy global service instead of a cheap sim when they get to their destination.....yes.....i can see them doing that sadly......
    Raptor007 likes this.

I was also worried about the embedded wording. I positive that just means the phone comes with a sim installed. It it's not removable mine will be going right back as well but I doubt that will be the case
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Those with the embedded SIM listed on your pre-order, was that a dummy phone upgrade?

Anyone with an LTE to LTE upgrade here have anything different listed on their pre-order? (DIRECTSIM4G-D)

Mine was a dummy phone upgrade on an additional line with embedded SIM listed.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Global Posts
    5,006 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

No, mine was a dumb phone upgrade so I guess we will simply have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay A whY View Post
    Those with the embedded SIM listed on your pre-order, was that a dummy phone upgrade?

Anyone with an LTE to LTE upgrade here have anything different listed on their pre-order? (DIRECTSIM4G-D)

Mine was a dummy phone upgrade on an additional line with embedded SIM listed.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    Mine was a full retail purchase over the phone. But I remember when looking through the process online, there was a point where it asked if you wanted to use your previous sim or not, and if you planned on using it internationally. Maybe that could tell us something?

Anyone here choose to keep using your existing sim, and have a confirmation that doesn't list "embedded sim"?

Everyone who has "embedded sim" listed, did you opt for a new sim to be included?

I didnt ask for or deny one, so I'm assuming they just included one with the order. Maybe this thread can be pointed out to someone higher up at VZW?

FWIW,

When I ordered online to replace my Droid DNA part of the order process said your current SIM is compatible with the Note 3. Do you wish to use the same SIM?

That tells me definitely removable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast