Best Option for Unlocked (vzw) Galaxy Note 3

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone -
So I joined the waiting list for the developer Verizon Note 3. Does this phone have a physical sim card slot to be used on GSM networks if I go to UK/Canada/Asia/S. America for work? I would use the phone here domestically easily 95% of the time, but for those rare times I need to leave the country, can I just pop in an O2 sim or whatever to use it outside the country?

Do VZN 4G LTE phones have actual sim cards now? I was under the assumption that CDMA was a sim-less based tech.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone -
So I joined the waiting list for the developer Verizon Note 3. Does this phone have a physical sim card slot to be used on GSM networks if I go to UK/Canada/Asia/S. America for work? I would use the phone here domestically easily 95% of the time, but for those rare times I need to leave the country, can I just pop in an O2 sim or whatever to use it outside the country?

Do VZN 4G LTE phones have actual sim cards now? I was under the assumption that CDMA was a sim-less based tech.

Verizon 4GLTE phones have sim cards as lte is gsm technology. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has both CDMA and gsm radios. And yes, the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. People have reported that they can use it domestically and internationally with any compatible sim, which is almost anywhere as it is quad band gsm.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon 4GLTE phones have sim cards as lte is gsm technology. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has both CDMA and gsm radios. And yes, the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. People have reported that they can use it domestically and internationally with any compatible sim, which is almost anywhere as it is quad band gsm.

Can't even tell you how much I appreciate this post. Seriously, I spent hours this past weekend trying to solve this very simple probelm I have.

Thanks for the input guys/gals. Really appreciate it. I went to Best Buy after work last night and talked with the Samsung tech rep. Turns out, the VZN Note 3 comes factory unlocked (per FCC law), and it has a sim card slot so I can use it on GSM if I travel overseas. One and done. I already put my name on the backorder list for the developer edition from Samsung so I can be sure to have functionality to remove bloatware. Wouldn't it be cool if the Note 3 could just come with 4.3 and Samsung's additions, but not any of Verizon's garbage??? I know, pipe dream.

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Can't even tell you how much I appreciate this post. Seriously, I spent hours this past weekend trying to solve this very simple probelm I have.

Thanks for the input guys/gals. Really appreciate it. I went to Best Buy after work last night and talked with the Samsung tech rep. Turns out, the VZN Note 3 comes factory unlocked (per FCC law), and it has a sim card slot so I can use it on GSM if I travel overseas. One and done. I already put my name on the backorder list for the developer edition from Samsung so I can be sure to have functionality to remove bloatware. Wouldn't it be cool if the Note 3 could just come with 4.3 and Samsung's additions, but not any of Verizon's garbage??? I know, pipe dream.

Whoa, so it's a good thing I didn't buy the DE Note 3 yet and just on backorder. Just read - Verizon doesn't allow 4G phones to go prepaid? That makes no sense, because then the DE Note 3 would then be nothing but a paperweight since it must be purchased at full price (meaning, you could only then use it prepaid, no?). I do value Verizon's network, but their prices are just absurd compared to competitors.

Is there any difference whatsoever between the TMO and AT&T variants of the Note 3? I can't seem to spot a single difference.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Whoa, so it's a good thing I didn't buy the DE Note 3 yet and just on backorder. Just read - Verizon doesn't allow 4G phones to go prepaid? That makes no sense, because then the DE Note 3 would then be nothing but a paperweight since it must be purchased at full price (meaning, you could only then use it prepaid, no?). I do value Verizon's network, but their prices are just absurd compared to competitors.

Is there any difference whatsoever between the TMO and AT&T variants of the Note 3? I can't seem to spot a single difference.

Correct Verizon doesn't allow 4GLTE phones on prepaid. Imo, the best postpaid plan closest to prepaid would be the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data. About the same per month as prepaid, but you get subsidized phones if desired. It is also cheaper than the closest tmobile plan, though tmobile does provide 2.5gb data compared to 2gb on Verizon, and tmobile is 2g after the cap, Verizon would continue at high speed and charged as overage

Yes there are some differences in the bands supported. Keep in mind that att and tmobile sells the note 3 sim locked

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think if I read correctly you said you have a unlimited plan and you also have additional lines on the account. You also said you have an open upgrade if you want to keep your unlimited data you can do what's called an alternative upgrade where it utilizes your upgrade but its activated on a different line this will allow you to keep your unlimited data I did the same thing about a month ago. You still have to deal with the Verizon bloatware but you're not paying full contract and at least you're getting it at a reduced rate.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Correct Verizon doesn't allow 4GLTE phones on prepaid. Imo, the best postpaid plan closest to prepaid would be the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data. About the same per month as prepaid, but you get subsidized phones if desired. It is also cheaper than the closest tmobile plan, though tmobile does provide 2.5gb data compared to 2gb on Verizon, and tmobile is 2g after the cap, Verizon would continue at high speed and charged as overage

Yes there are some differences in the bands supported. Keep in mind that att and tmobile sells the note 3 sim locked

@dpham - thanks again for the time. The AT&T and TMO Note 3 can be unlocked though once paid for outright, unless I'm totally off base? I read on another thread here that AT&T is required to unlock a phone if asked due to some consent agreement from a lawsuit. Haven't found that evidence though. But AT&T would still have the power to unlock it for me.

I think if I read correctly you said you have a unlimited plan and you also have additional lines on the account. You also said you have an open upgrade if you want to keep your unlimited data you can do what's called an alternative upgrade where it utilizes your upgrade but its activated on a different line this will allow you to keep your unlimited data I did the same thing about a month ago. You still have to deal with the Verizon bloatware but you're not paying full contract and at least you're getting it at a reduced rate.

Not me, you're referring to someone else.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
@dpham - thanks again for the time. The AT&T and TMO Note 3 can be unlocked though once paid for outright, unless I'm totally off base? I read on another thread here that AT&T is required to unlock a phone if asked due to some consent agreement from a lawsuit. Haven't found that evidence though. But AT&T would still have the power to unlock it for me.

Not me, you're referring to someone else.

Was referring to the original author of this thread. Didn't clarify my apologies

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci