With or without Case/Screen protector

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
case, maybe, i might just get the s view flip cover. since the phone is big already. no otter box for me. i might go for a cheaper alternative from amazon or the verizon case/holster combo that they have for every phone. that has the included kick stand.
screen protector, maybe. i might go to the mall and get the zagg or other equally as good, but like user mavrrick states, that it may make the S pen harder to use. if zagg doesnt work well, i might get a generick screen protector and see how that works. cus gorilla glass scratches.

Dave Hyland

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've got the S4 - because I carry the phone around in various pockets, I really need a case & screen protector...
I started with a Spigen Armour flip case, but when I folded the case back to use the phone, the magnet kept putting the phone into sleep mode. So I exchanged that for the Spigen Neo-Hybrid Armour case. Nice protectection from small drops, and the raised edge keeps the screen off what ever surface I'm stupid enough to put the phone on face-down.
I'm a huge fan of the massive screen, with it's superior quality... but not too much of the highly refelective surface - so I've fitted an anti-glare screen protector to it. The quality of images etc on-screen doesn't suffer too much, perfectly acceptable. Still gets marked up in my pocket, though...
(maybe I should stop carrying so much other cr@p in my pockets...?)

In saying all that - I'm getting rid of the Spigen Neo-Hybrid case and going for the S-View - all around protection plus the sleep-mode window.
Sooner or later, I will find something that I'm happy with.

Although.... I'm looking at a full armour case for when I'm on the bike (especially on track days), just in case...

Bianca Horkan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Sticking my phone in my pockets is a rare thing -- it mostly lives in my purse or on my desk while I'm at work. So, I'm thinking that I'll need some type of case with a front cover...perhaps the one with the window.

As for screen protectors...I haven't had one since my LG VX9700. I had the mirrored screen protector on that one.

My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a screen protector and from living in my purse for almost two years, the screen looks pretty good. Yeah, there are a few very small scratches on it but it doesn't detract from it's function/appearance.

Last edited:

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never liked screen protectors, on both my Notes, I think the longest time one lasted was three days. I have my Note 1 in a wallet type folder. I had also covered it with a skin that came with a wallpaper. When I was thinking about selling it, I took a really hard look and the darn Note looks like new. Guess the cheap wallet thing did okay. I'd like to find a case for the Note 3 like I have for my Note 10.1. It's like a folder but the part that holds the tablet rotates and will sit at various degrees of slant in either portrait or landscape. It's been really nice for avoiding glare and making it easy to read. The part that folds over protects the screen when it gets dropped outside or bumped around in my purse. I've been looking for one but I guess production won't start until the Note 3 is released. sigh Hurry up and wait seems to be the game plan.

Dave Hyland

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Update on my previous post:

I have received & fitted my Samsung S-View case. It does exactly what I want it to do - stops me from activating apps etc while fumbling it in & out of my pockets (was a major problem!); it's also a less less bulky than the Spigen neo-Hybrid case. The back is more robust & sturdier than the original OEM back - which is reassuring...
The only minor niggle I have is that the front doesn't close flat against the screen. I suppose it will as the 'hinge' relaxes with age.
All in all, I'd recommend the S-View case to anyone.

Hope this helps.

purpleclad

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
For the people who don't use a case on the Note 2, Galaxy S3 or S4, does your camera lens not get scratched? I hate cases, but only use one on my S4, because it looks like the phone rests directly on the camera. Am I being paranoid for no reason?

mactruck

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
For the people who don't use a case on the Note 2, Galaxy S3 or S4, does your camera lens not get scratched? I hate cases, but only use one on my S4, because it looks like the phone rests directly on the camera. Am I being paranoid for no reason?

I use a case <1% of the time on my S3 and my camera is fine.

MisterMe11

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Asked in the Amazon deal thread a couple of days ago but didn't get a response (sorry for the impatience but I think this thread will get more views) - any opinions - coming from a couple of blackberries without cases / screen protectors which I managed never to drop! (but my plastic-screen BB Torch 9850 is quite scratched up from riding in my pocket, occasionally with keys when I wasn't careful)

I'm thinking of combining a Spigen slim armor with a carrying pouch like the Proporta Maya II. That way I can slip the pouch into a pocket without worrying about the screen and I can go without a screen protector. Does this sound like a good idea? How much of a raised lip on the bezel does the slim armor give you? Is it enough to protect the screen from screen-down falls (at least onto flat surfaces as opposed to falling onto something pointed!) I hope a pouch will accommodate a slim case and still allow easy access

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I certainly understand why some don't want screen protectors, but I have found its much cheaper to put one on than it is to replace the screen. I have read users complaints about GG3 still scratching when they had keys in their pocket.

I personally like the Spigen Glas.t screen protectors so you get the feeling of a naked screen but the protection you want. That is what I do at least and when I did have BB's in the past I always put a screen protector on them, their screens would scratch if you looked at them wrong.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, 2 years is a long time to be responsible with a phone. sooner or later, you're going to stick keys in your pocket or slide it facedown at the bar (dont ask). the spigen glass ones are a good compromise for a screen protector.

i hate having a bulky case ruining the aestetics of the phone, but since im replacing one with a broken screen, ive learned my lesson.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
To answer about the spigen slim armor, it has a tiny raised lip, which would protect against say grains of sand on a flat surface or a table but even on asphalt it would be iffy in my mind. It does add some bulk to the phone, which in my eyes would warrant pocket use vs a pouch. Just my 2 cents... I personally was a blackberry pouch for years, but since the note 2 and s4 I've become a pocket carrier. Although this time I am going neo hybrid....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

fridgey100

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I personally like the otterbox screen protectors, as I usually order a commuter series case for any phone I get. But with the addition of a faux leather back I may go naked and just order a screen protector for this one. Not sure yet entirely but I like the added protection of a case, since I do construction work I put most phones through a tough life.

If you work in construction you may want to take a look at Rhino Shield screen protector. They protect the screen against cracks/smashes, as well as scratches. See video link below

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNM-1HPZ5uI

There isn't a note 3 option on the Rhino sheild website, however as they list an option for note 2, I'm sure the note 3 protector isn't far away!

http://www.evolutivelabs.com

Posted via Android Central App

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, I did end up getting a 3 pack of spigen ones and still on the fence about a case. Most likely going to get the neo hybrid but I just can't pull the trigger lol

Boomslang001

Banned
Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know when the official S-view Cover is going to be released for the Note 3? Leaning toward a Neo-Hybrid case otherwise...
I carried my iPhone 4S around for 2+ years now with a TPU case that has a front lip on it and didn't use a screen protector and there's not an imperfection to be found. Not sure the glass here is as durable though from what i've read. Also, there's obviously a size difference.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I always use a screen protector on my phones. Mainly because any mark on the screen can detract from the resale value and a staring a a major scratch all day would drive me nuts! I don't see much of a difference in look or usability with one on, they don't cost much. So I don't see any reason NOT to have one installed. As far as brand i've used tech armors and had good luck with them. Easily installed, good durability. Highly recommended, Amazon reviews speak for themselves and they have Excellent customer service!

Cases I end up with at some point, but always something minimal as I rarely drop my phone (3 times total in just under 2 years). I was using a Ringke slim on the Gnex and i've been happy with it, ran me about 10$. So ill probably order another one of those and switch between that and my dante red spigen i picked up for 1$.
Might also consider a spigen minimal case since a friend has one for his S4 and has had good luck with it. It will ultimately come down to price and color choice when I do order one.

AgentScribe

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have (2) cases on order, Neo-Hybrid ($1 promo on Amazon) and the Slim Armor also picked up the Glas.tR Slim and I love how you don't feel like you are using a screen protector at all. But I also ordered spare Spigen Crystal Clear Screen protectors, they were also on $1 amazon.com promo so I could't resist.

Do you know if this is an on-going promotion? If so, can you link to it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz