Locked bootloader

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to switch from Sprint to AT&T but the new policy has me concerned. I didn't really want to buy a phone outright to get an unlocked version. I prefer to have my phone modified with a TW-based ROM. How difficult is it going to be to root and ROM on the new phones that are locked down?

Sent from my Wicked Red S3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to switch from Sprint to AT&T but the new policy has me concerned. I didn't really want to buy a phone outright to get an unlocked version. I prefer to have my phone modified with a TW-based ROM. How difficult is it going to be to root and ROM on the new phones that are locked down?

Sent from my Wicked Red S3

Rooting and unlocking are really two different things. Rooting is gaining root access to the system on the device, having nothing to do with switching carriers. Unlocked means that. However, I do not believe you can use a Sprint device on AT&T, as the phones are set up differently. Sprint is a CDMA based band, and AT&T is GSM.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
There are two unlocks. one for the carrier, one for the bootloader. Until the bootloader is unlocked by the vendor or carrier, it has to be hacked for root and ROM to be installed. Motorola is probably the most willing to offer bootloader unlocks for their devices, but the carrier usually has final say for official unlocks.

The carrier unlock is currently at the carrier's will because the Library of Congress determined it's a copyright violation for users do on their own. Not that this really stops people intent on it. Generally, a carrier is willing to unlock the phone if you pay off the contract on it. or buy it outright.

Unlocking the Bootloader will probably be achieved within the first two weeks of the Not3 general release. Root will quickly follow, ROMs a little later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12