Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By blitz118
  • 3 Post By thegame161
  • 1 Post By karsdroid
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default One handed operations?

Tried the Note 2 the other day and found it quite difficult to use one handed,specially for calling or answering,the Note 3 is slimmer so will this help?

Global Posts
    8,155 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: One handed operations?

These are big phones and it would seem that one-handed use is not the priority for Samsung that it is for Apple. Is the Note 3 significantly slimmer than the Note 2? I know that in the Note 2 there's certain apps you can set to one-handed use, like the dialer and calculator. This shrinks them down and moves them to the left or right (your choice), so that they're easy to use one-handedly.

If one handed operation is important to you, then you should look into a smaller phone.
    Thanked by:
    bigmo555 and crester like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Jeff View Post
    Tried the Note 2 the other day and found it quite difficult to use one handed,specially for calling or answering,the Note 3 is slimmer so will this help?
    I still have my Galaxy Nexus and when I'm typing emails or texts I typically use two thumbs. It's way faster than just one finger or thumb for me...so I don't see the size of the Note 3 being an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I know that in the Note 2 there's certain apps you can set to one-handed use, like the dialer and calculator. This shrinks them down and moves them to the left or right (your choice), so that they're easy to use one-handedly.
    That would be very handy when answering calls.

It really varies person to person and by their hand shape/size, and what they feel is "comfortable". The Note 3 is comparable to the Note 2 in size. I think it might be slightly thicker/longer but not by much. So to judge yourself, visit any store with a Galaxy Note 2 and feel for yourself. I don't consider myself to have large hands by any means but playing with a Note 2, it was surprising I could pretty much control whatever was on screen with just one hand. Some things might not be as comfortable as a smaller device, or moving an icon from the lower right to upper left with maybe a thumb would be hard, but overall I felt it was pretty accommodating.

If isn't really made for one handed use.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S
    karsdroid, bigmo555 and crester like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Good to know we can tweak important apps for one side (so one handed), still waiting for screen test under sunlight compared to S4

I was getting pain in my hand from using my note 2. I use a flygrip, and it makes it easier to use and I don't get pain in my hand anymore

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

truly if the most important factor for you is one handed use then i would think none of these oversized phones are for you. their strong points are in other areas and i hazard to say that one handed use is not something they focused on in depth in development
    crester likes this.

If you have small hands, it may be a little difficult. What I did was set up the apps that I use most often on the home screen so that they'd be easier to reach by a thumb if I didn't have both hands free. This method worked well with my Note 2.
    Error

Global Posts
    8,155 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by BeRich View Post
    If you have small hands, it may be a little difficult. What I did was set up the apps that I use most often on the home screen so that they'd be easier to reach by a thumb if I didn't have both hands free. This method worked well with my Note 2.
    Sounds like sound logic...and good advice.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"
    Live long and prosper.

crester likes this.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

The big screen of my GN2 takes priority (for me) over one-handed operation, but I put a Flygrip on mine and that makes it feasible to use one-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Sounds like sound logic...and good advice.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"
    I have a four-year-old; it's stupid little tricks like this that make life easier
    Error