How will you transfer files, apps, settings to your new Note 3?

DalTXJim

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Do any of you have any good tips on transferring files, settings, apps, from your old phone to your new GN3? I have some content on SD cards, but other is on the internal memory (assuming it can be moved to the SD card). How about Apps? Do they all have to be re-installed? Any way to print out a list of currently installed Apps? Thanks for any tips and info!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Do any of you have any good tips on transferring files, settings, apps, from your old phone to your new GN3? I have some content on SD cards, but other is on the internal memory (assuming it can be moved to the SD card). How about Apps? Do they all have to be re-installed? Any way to print out a list of currently installed Apps? Thanks for any tips and info!

Most of this should be covered by your Google account. All of your settings and contacts should transfer over when you log in. You will have your apps transferred, but not the saved game data. Usually what I do is plug the two phones into my PC then transfer all of my important files over to the other by copying and pasting the folders in the right place. There's also Kies, but that usually doesn't work that well. If you want a program to do it, I recommend Android File Transfer.

TheMaskedMamba

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
If you're current phone is rooted, you can use an app like Titanium Backup to backup sms/mms, app data and other phone settings.

If not, then you'll probably have to install each app intent he new phone. There are apps in the Play store that will backup sms messages on unrooted phones.

I'm sure other members might know other ways to transfer data over

Sent from my SG Note Deux using Tapatalk 4

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I want a copy of my settings. This is a new phone with a different layout and screen resolution for me. I expect to configure this one differently. Also, a lot of my customizations are via root and ROM, so they won't apply until those come to the Note 3.

Apps, I'll mostly just redownload on wifi as there will probably be some that won't be compatible. And some of my older ones that are currently incompatible that may work again (Peggle, mahjong and friends...).

Files are the bigger issue probably. I already have my pictures auto sync with Dropbox so that's taken care of. Media, I usually switch up weekly anyway as I finish with those books, comics and movies. Music is more stable and I'm building that file structure on an uSD card right now.

I use google voice for my messaging so there's no problem there.

G_The_One

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend an app called MyBackupPro which is available on Google play. It can backup all your app settings including data. It can also backup all your device settings including APNs and the like. There is a free version of the app but the paid version is worth every cent

Posted via Android Central App

james27007

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I do when I switch phones.

1. Use SMS Backup to make a backup of my text messages (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=org.bobarctor.smsbackup&hl=en&token=apvDJK7K) There are others but this has always worked perfectly.
2. Use ESFile Explorer to backup my apps. This does not backup the app data (settings, saved games and such) but the files. It makes a copy of the apk file so you can install them easily on your new phone (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en&token=GZfS_v38)
3. Make sure all your MMS pictures are saved to the device (sms backup does not save the pics).
4. Make 100% sure your contacts are backed up to gmail, then make a backup one more time from the contacts app (export to sdcard).
5. On your PC, plus the phone in and then copy all of the internal sdcard files to a safe folder.
6. Do the same for the external sdcard. It should be ok, but I would for something to go wrong and lose the files while moving the sdcard between phones
7. Copy the files back to your internal sdcard of the new phone
8. install ESFile Explorer and you can quickly reinstall all of your apps
9. Use SMS Backup to restore your text messages
10. Gmail should automatically sync your contacts and such...

I switch phones a lot and have yet to gave gmail reinstall my apps without me having to do it manually.

kikaha

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I won't be.
Starting over is a lot more fun.
I'll jump on the Play Store & install the ones I use the most and then go from there.

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Samsung Smart Switch app? I pre-ordered from ATT and will have it sent to work, so I can get it a few hours sooner. This seems like it would be pretty easy to do this at work.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Helium to backup app and app data. It doesn't require root, though without root , you need a pc to initialize it every time you restart the phone.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

outlawz89

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I got the htc one couple months ago and I'm pretty new to android so what do I need to do to transfer just my contacts and pictures? I know apps are saved onto the playstore account.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
If you used the default google contacts app (People I think it's called now), they'll transfer over automatically when you install the People app.

If you're not using People, there should be an import/export option in the app for just this purpose. I don't know the details of the HTC system.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There is an app called heliem(was called carbon backup) thatb works well for backing up all user data. Down load it, install the PC client, fallow the directions and create the backup. Install heliem on the note 3, do the same thing but this time do the restore. As part of the process it will tell you what apps to install.

Posted via Android Central App

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I see it as a route to clean things up. Backing up to Google and the cloud, then deciding on what to install. I have a short list of required applications, so after installing those few apps, the fun begins. Not a big deal.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

outlawz89

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I see it as a route to clean things up. Backing up to Google and the cloud, then deciding on what to install. I have a short list of required applications, so after installing those few apps, the fun begins. Not a big deal.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

sorry whats the cloud? is it an app i have to download?

james27007

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Like bclinger#IM said, the could is the internet.

When you store things in "the could", you are storing them online. There are services like Drop Box, Photobucket, G+, facebook and such that let you store things online (or in the cloud). Also GMail, the Google Play Store and Amazon App Store, store things like your contacts and app purchases online in their servers (also known as in the cloud).

You can find a more detailed responce here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/cloud-computing/cloud-computing.htm

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I won't be.
Starting over is a lot more fun.
I'll jump on the Play Store & install the ones I use the most and then go from there.

I agree 100%....its like moving and i take the opportunity to clean out the stuff i don't really use.....

I backup pics, files, etc to sdcard .....switch that to the new phone and i'm good to go. love that the play store has all my usual apps listed and i can decide which will go back on the new phone, and which i really didn't use much and don't need.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I got the htc one couple months ago and I'm pretty new to android so what do I need to do to transfer just my contacts and pictures? I know apps are saved onto the playstore account.

if you have an sdcard back up all of your pictures to that, or if not back up pictures, files, whatnot to your computer. if you are using your gmail/google account for email and contacts you are good to go and when the new phone comes you will be prompted to begin with to log in with your google account. at that time the gmail and contacts will sync up and be ready to go. if you don't use gmail for email and contacts i would suggest that if you are going to stay with android phones you might want to at least import your contacts to your gmail account since it automatically syncs and backs up so smoothly.

your apps will be in the playstore and you will just have to download them. you will lose your settings etc, but i really do enjoy the fresh start of a new phone. if you use google chrome for browser, then once again logging in with your google account will reinstall your bookmarks, etc.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
You want to leave Android for the Apple? It's usually easiest to let your carrier do it. But you can do it yourself in a number of different ways.

Apps will have to be downloaded from the App Store, just like you did on your Andriod. The apps themselves cannot be copied over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance