Note 3 S Pen

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is this bothering anyone else. I keep looking at the pictures and notice the S Pen for the Note 3 doesn't follow the contour of the back/bezel of the phone like the S Pen on the Note 2 does. I'd much rather have a smooth appearance than seeing that edge of the S Pen stick out past the curve of the back. Thoughts?

AcemanX AcemanX

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is this bothering anyone else. I keep looking at the pictures and notice the S Pen for the Note 3 doesn't follow the contour of the back/bezel of the phone like the S Pen on the Note 2 does. I'd much rather have a smooth appearance than seeing that edge of the S Pen stick out past the curve of the back. Thoughts?

Yea i noticed this too and saw on several Note 3 Hands on videos on youtube that it isn't flush like the Note 2 was but maybe we won't feel it? It does look easier to take out because of the grooves, because of the large size of it thought I don't think we will be touching that back part at all so we might not notice physically, but looks wise they probably could of done a better job of making it look clean, even thought personally i think it doesn't look so bad

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

It might look better on the N2... but I am guessing its easier to find and extract on the N3.

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
See, I didn't have a problem with the S Pen on the Note 2. Maybe because I have more sensitive fingertips and don't keep my nails cut too short. I keep looking at the pics and that stylus just bothers me.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It was noted that reason the S pen is not flush is because they said after conducting a survey, that helped with designing the Note 3, the consumers didn't used it much because they forgot it was there do to being flush. By designing it to stick out a little it is both noticeable and easier to remove.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
most importantly, you can re insert it in any orientation. having to line the spen up in the right direction to return it is annoying. bring on the note 3 and improved spen.:beer:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

barnabydog

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
most importantly, you can re insert it in any orientation.

I've seen this mentioned in a couple of reviews, but I've also seen a review (can't remember where) that said the S-Pen can't be inserted in one particular orientation. I'm inclined to believe it's truly symmetrical, though. I'll find out soon enough. :)

As for the new protruding design, it doesn't look as nice, but I don't look at the back of a phone that much, so if the pen is easier to access for sticking out a bit, I call that a plus.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i agree with the op and the flush spen of the note 2 has never bothered me, been a problem to extract, and i've never forgotten that its there. i reserving judgement on the note 3. even if it is annoying i can't fathom it being a deal breaker, so we'll see.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this mentioned in a couple of reviews, but I've also seen a review (can't remember where) that said the S-Pen can't be inserted in one particular orientation. I'm inclined to believe it's truly symmetrical, though. I'll find out soon enough. :)

As for the new protruding design, it doesn't look as nice, but I don't look at the back of a phone that much, so if the pen is easier to access for sticking out a bit, I call that a plus.

one unboxing i viewed showed that it is slightly rectangular and therefore you can insert in front to back or back to front, but the sides are thinner....to go in in any orientation it would have to have been square...hope that makes sense....

barnabydog

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
It does make sense, but I thought the pen was triangular?

EDIT: nevermind...just googled some pics. It's a rounded rectangle...obviously in clear violation of Apple's patent! :p

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It does make sense, but I thought the pen was triangular?

the guy in the unboxing video says rectangular....i guess we'll all have to wait to get our hands on it....

just checked...2:24 on the unboxing video he describes the spen as smaller, thinner, and rectangular. i'm not sure how i feel about it being smaller. you want to be able to get a good grip on it...

barnabydog

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
i'm not sure how i feel about it being smaller. you want to be able to get a good grip on it...

Agreed 100%. That seemed to be a common complaint with the earlier versions to the point that Samsung has the accessory that houses the pen in a larger body. It doesn't matter how easy it is to remove from the phone if it's too narrow to be easy to use.

I wonder what the market would be for a flip case that has a slot for holding the pen with the extra-wide housing. I could make millions! (of Yen, maybe...)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't noticed it until it was mentioned. I do wish it was flush like my prior GN2, but I can see what Samsung was going for, more pen or pencil like in the hand.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I am going with the majority of the reviews, and the symmetry indicates such. The silver faux trim also seems improved on the 3 over the 2. I don't use a case much, and the trim is showing it's age. overall, just the plain simple fact the s pen is symmetrical makes it a huge win. not sure why it doesn't bother me that it is more prominent on the note 3. guess I just love the thing from what I see anyways

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
one unboxing i viewed showed that it is slightly rectangular and therefore you can insert in front to back or back to front, but the sides are thinner....to go in in any orientation it would have to have been square...hope that makes sense....

seems you could feel the rectangular of it and not having to pay attention to what side is up to insert it is nice. I do wonder how the increased pressure sensitivity will feel and act on the os. guess I am in the minority of liking the updated spen:beer:

Last edited:

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Having a rectangular shape might make it easier to find the button. Also, never had a problem pulling out the S-pen on my original Note. All those folks that thought it was just for large handed men, it's perfect for ladies with nails! Also, another plus for ladies might be on the new Note, one reviewer said you could use fingernails if you set the screen sensitivity on high. I so hope that's true!!!