Which provider should I choose?

rishman1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I've had Sprint for a while (currently have the Note 2, which I love), but the signal sucks where I live. So, I was initially thinking of switching to Verizon when the Note 3 is available in stores. However, I just read in another thread that apparently Verizon disabled some features on the Note 2 and may do that on the Note 3, and that some people are switching to AT&T for that reason. What do you all think is the best service for the Note 3, ignoring cost of the phone and plan (I am OK paying more if I have better signal/speeds)? Also, I use less than 4 GB a month of data so don't need an unlimited data plan (which I only recently realized, and which finalized my leaving Sprint).

Also, I would like a plan like the Verizon Edge plan where I can upgrade every year.

Thanks!

Last edited:

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow. What a loaded question...a good one...but bound to have lots of opposing replies.

I think, overall, Verizon has the best network nationwide. However, it all depends on what city/town you live in and really, you should look at each carrier's coverage map to determine who covers your needs best.

In my area, Verizon is better. But here is why I chose AT&T....

Verizon and AT&T both offer 4G LT. However, in areas that don't have 4GLT, Verizon throws users to a slower network. AT&T still retains the fastest data network all around.

Also, as far as I know, AT&T allows you to surf the web while making a call. I am not certain you can do that on Verizon yet.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Prepare to cash out big time...
Also, every year data usage has doubled by consumers (not to think with networks like AT&T and Verizon you will chew through that like cake. To conclude and sorry to make you feel bad, by the end of 2014, sprint will have double the coverage and bandwidth speed over AT&T and Verizon.... And unlimited.

Sent from my SPH-L710

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I've had Sprint for a while (currently have the Note 2, which I love), but the signal sucks where I live. So, I was initially thinking of switching to Verizon when the Note 3 is available in stores. However, I just read in another thread that apparently Verizon disabled some features on the Note 2 and may do that on the Note 3, and that some people are switching to AT&T for that reason. What do you all think is the best service for the Note 3, ignoring cost of the phone and plan (I am OK paying more if I have better signal)? Also, I use less than 4 GB a month of data so don't need an unlimited data plan (which I only recently realized, and which finalized my leaving Sprint).

Thanks!

.Depends on your area...i have verizon because it really is the best carrier in our area. the other signals are just crap here. i have the note 2 and frankly yes its irritating when they take something out, but its oddly never anything super major, the wifi toggle just doesn't matter to me in the long run. the beauty of android to me is that it doesn't really matter what the phone comes with or not i usually find an "app for that" :)

i started my android experience with the original droid and i remember people complaining about the stock apps and the answer is the same today as it was then, if an app doesn't suit you find a different one that does.

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Prepare to cash out big time...
Also, every year data usage has doubled by consumers (not to think with networks like AT&T and Verizon you will chew through that like cake. To conclude and sorry to make you feel bad, by the end of 2014, sprint will have double the coverage and bandwidth speed over AT&T and Verizon.... And unlimited.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Unless you're a time traveler, that's pretty speculative. Just saying.

As for the OP's question, I would check out coverage maps and see who offers the best coverage in your area and areas you frequently travel. Usually, Verizon is the most expensive but offers the best coverage and has tiered data plans. ATT less expensive than Verizon but more expensive than Sprint/Tmobile. They have slightly worse coverage than Verizon but still really good coverage. Some areas, ATT actually is faster but depends. TMobile can also be an option but depends on your area. TMobile speeds are pretty good, especially if you're in 4G/LTE coverage areas.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're a time traveler, that's pretty speculative. Just saying.

As for the OP's question, I would check out coverage maps and see who offers the best coverage in your area and areas you frequently travel. Usually, Verizon is the most expensive but offers the best coverage and has tiered data plans. ATT less expensive than Verizon but more expensive than Sprint/Tmobile. They have slightly worse coverage than Verizon but still really good coverage. Some areas, ATT actually is faster but depends. TMobile can also be an option but depends on your area. TMobile speeds are pretty good, especially if you're in 4G/LTE coverage areas.

I don't time travel but I do read a lot. Btw, good advice. I would add to OP to download Sensorly and compare networks. Good luck :)

Sent from my SPH-L710

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Usually, Verizon is the most expensive but offers the best coverage and has tiered data plans. ATT less expensive than Verizon but more expensive than Sprint/Tmobile.

Yeah when I did a comparison for all the networks for me and my wife most expensive to lease expensive was AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, then Sprint. AT&T was only $10 or so more than Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add something. You're only using 4gb a month and you say you have bad signal on sprint, that's actually a lot of data on a network that doesn't perform well in your area. What will happen if you're on a network that's actually fast in your area, you might use your phone more and might use too much data. I am on sprint in a good sprint area and I average around 20 gb a month. Just keep that in mind and use wifi whenever you can if you switch to At&t or Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I gotta recommend AT&T. Not only do they seem to get the great phones but their service is great and fast, at least it is in Maryland. However, before you knock Verizon, wjo also has great service because of their alleged de-featuring of phones wait a few more days. Perhaps things will be different with the Note 3.

from my Sony XTZ

rishman1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to add something. You're only using 4gb a month and you say you have bad signal on sprint, that's actually a lot of data on a network that doesn't perform well in your area. What will happen if you're on a network that's actually fast in your area, you might use your phone more and might use too much data. I am on sprint in a good sprint area and I average around 20 gb a month. Just keep that in mind and use wifi whenever you can if you switch to At&t or Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App

That's a good point. But actually, I use wifi at home, which is where I use most of my data, so my overall data should remain the same. I was actually referring to my phone calls having bad service. I think I'm going to go with Verizon-- their coverage maps in my area are the best. By the way, reading about all this has now confused me-- do "3G" and "4G" refer to data only or also voice calls??

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what uses up most of your 20 GB a month? Thanks!

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
No contract, whatever is cheapest for your needs. Buy your phone outright. Use google voice, some VOIP software, and save a ton of money. Basically buy an unlocked multiband ATT/T-mobile phone for broadest MVNO compatibility. Pay month to month. Bump up to higher capacity plans as needed, stay cheaper the rest of the time.

XDA explains the tricks.
[INFO][GSM] Own Your Cell Service ..with | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

Android Authority has some good input on it all as well.
Best unlocked Android phone for any budget: April 2013 | Android and Me though this should be updated soon.

Also 7 things you should know about pre-paid smartphone service before you switch | Android and Me which is alwo somewhat dated.

For me, i mostly hang out on T-mobile's $30/month plan with 100 minutes of talk, unlimited text, 5 GB high speed data, over that gets throttled. Works great.

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have always been able to surf & talk on Verizon with T-Bolt, Razr, SGS3 & now with Note 2. Only the iPhone has issues with anything but AT&T.

I waited out Sprint for 2 years while they lied about their Network upgrade.... they have continued to lie for 2 more years & they are the same as they were 4 years ago .... crap!

Cheers, Jon

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile is my opinion if you get reasonable service with them in your area. Personally, I travel my whole County and have good to great service everywhere except my house, but that is what wifi is for! I do have some places I go but any of my customers is more than happy to give out there wifi password if I need it.... plus the 5gb is basically right where you are at anyways, and a cheaper plan that att, verizon, and maybe sprint... plus they're new jump program looks to be better than the other big 3....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
.Depends on your area...i have verizon because it really is the best carrier in our area. the other signals are just crap here. i have the note 2 and frankly yes its irritating when they take something out, but its oddly never anything super major, the wifi toggle just doesn't matter to me in the long run. the beauty of android to me is that it doesn't really matter what the phone comes with or not i usually find an "app for that" :)

i started my android experience with the original droid and i remember people complaining about the stock apps and the answer is the same today as it was then, if an app doesn't suit you find a different one that does.

Yes but the wifi toggle helps conserve data for those not on unlimited. I have unlimited data but still use wifi all the time at home and other places. WiFi is still faster than LTE....for me that becomes a huge convenience. But what's an inconvenience to one is not to another.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using wifi and the AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No contract, whatever is cheapest for your needs. Buy your phone outright. Use google voice, some VOIP software, and save a ton of money. Basically buy an unlocked multiband ATT/T-mobile phone for broadest MVNO compatibility. Pay month to month. Bump up to higher capacity plans as needed, stay cheaper the rest of the time.

XDA explains the tricks.
[INFO][GSM] Own Your Cell Service ..with | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

Android Authority has some good input on it all as well.
Best unlocked Android phone for any budget: April 2013 | Android and Me though this should be updated soon.

Also 7 things you should know about pre-paid smartphone service before you switch | Android and Me which is alwo somewhat dated.

For me, i mostly hang out on T-mobile's $30/month plan with 100 minutes of talk, unlimited text, 5 GB high speed data, over that gets throttled. Works great.

Everyone should price out the carriers, no contract is not always cheaper. For my uses, Verizon contract is cheaper once factoring in the subsidy. But obviously my situation is not typical.

Also, you have to determine who has the best service where you are.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow. What a loaded question...a good one...but bound to have lots of opposing replies.

I think, overall, Verizon has the best network nationwide. However, it all depends on what city/town you live in and really, you should look at each carrier's coverage map to determine who covers your needs best.

In my area, Verizon is better. But here is why I chose AT&T....

Verizon and AT&T both offer 4G LT. However, in areas that don't have 4GLT, Verizon throws users to a slower network. AT&T still retains the fastest data network all around.

Also, as far as I know, AT&T allows you to surf the web while making a call. I am not certain you can do that on Verizon yet.

All of Verizon's Android 4GLTE phones are capable of simultaneous voice and 4GLTE data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
All of Verizon's Android 4GLTE phones are capable of simultaneous voice and 4GLTE data.

That's great news. Thanks for the clarification.

Technically any carrier that has LTE can do it. If you are on LTE voice and data can go same time. The only times you can do Voice and data is if you are on CDMA (3g) which would be Sprint and Verizon... But only if you are on that 3g.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

LosingMyMind

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I would go based on which carrier provides the best coverage in your area. I also have sprint and they are the worst , my husband verizon hates it. AT&T and tmobile are the best in my area, so I will be getting my GN3 from tmobile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret