Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB 3.0 charging speed

Very quick

Tried it tonight and it took 2 hours to charge completely. Think it saves a good 30 minutes to an hour on the old cable.

Default Re: USB 3.0 charging speed

Is this via USB charging or AC charging? Most AC adapters can output 1.5amps which is more than a USB3 port on a computer. Do you have an old USB2 charging cable you can compare it to?

Quote Originally Posted by thegame161 View Post
    Very quick

Tried it tonight and it took 2 hours to charge completely. Think it saves a good 30 minutes to an hour on the old cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Is this via USB charging or AC charging? Most AC adapters can output 1.5amps which is more than a USB3 port on a computer. Do you have an old USB2 charging cable you can compare it to?

Is this the Snapdragon version? Because the chip has a new quick charging mode built into it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Just comparing with what came with my S4

My note 3 is the snapdragon 800

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

Quote Originally Posted by thegame161 View Post
    Just comparing with what came with my S4

My note 3 is the snapdragon 800

Yeah. That has the quick charge mode.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by zach_alt View Post

Yes sir, Quick Charge 2.0 to be exact, gotta love the Note 3, the best in everything

I found it very odd Samsung didn't market this more to compare with the iphone. Faster charge and faster data transfer (I believe). Considering how this was skimmed over, when Apple decides to change their connector again with usb 3 they'll make it seem like nobody else has ever done this before.

Not Apples fault Samsung didn't play it up. But I can't wait to get my Note 3 looks like I've got a lot to learn coming from a Razor Maxx.

My note 2 charges in just under 2.5hrs. 30 minutes faster is nice, but at least for me, not really a huge benefit

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Apple change their connector again? Aren't we changing our connector right now? I have a graveyard of outdated USB cables.......

Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak View Post
    Apple change their connector again? Aren't we changing our connector right now? I have a graveyard of outdated USB cables.......
    Older 2.0 cables are still compatible and will charge just as fast when using the wall charger.

You can still use the USB 2.0 micro B cables, you just won't get the faster transfer speeds of USB 3.0. Apple's lightning connector had no backwards compatibility, at least not without expensive adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by darkkterror View Post
    You can still use the USB 2.0 micro B cables, you just won't get the faster transfer speeds of USB 3.0. Apple's lightning connector had no backwards compatibility, at least not without expensive adapters.
    Yeah I know it's still compatible, but USB is hardly the gold standard for adapters never changing is all I'm saying. I'll just buy generic USB 3.0 cables just like I bought generic adapters for my wife's iPad. You don't have to buy expensive adapters in either case.

Yeah I know it's still compatible, but USB is hardly the gold standard for adapters never changing is all I'm saying. I'll just buy generic USB 3.0 cables just like I bought generic adapters for my wife's iPad. You don't have to buy expensive adapters in either case.
    Buying those cables is entirely your choice. You don't need to, not unless you're in a situation where you actually want that increased transfer speed. Existing chargers, speaker docks, or other accessories that connect through the USB port will still work without any adapters. That wasn't an option with Apple. Besides, anyone that expects connectors to never change is highly delusional. That's just the way technology works. Standards and connectors become obsolete once they can no longer manage to accomplish what we demand of them. I didn't shed any tears when Serial or Parallel ports started to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by darkkterror View Post
    Besides, anyone that expects connectors to never change is highly delusional. That's just the way technology works.
    I agree. This goes for all companies.

Oh man serial ports, always fun when ONE pin was bent.

Anyways, since the lightning cable was JUST introduced, I wonder if apple will ever be introducing usb 3 data transfer speeds anytime soon. Maybe they can somehow modify the existing ones to allow more bandwidth? Or just stay on usb 2 for another 5 years? Well, that's a discussion for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergslayer69 View Post
    Oh man serial ports, always fun when ONE pin was bent.

Anyways, since the lightning cable was JUST introduced, I wonder if apple will ever be introducing usb 3 data transfer speeds anytime soon. Maybe they can somehow modify the existing ones to allow more bandwidth? Or just stay on usb 2 for another 5 years? Well, that's a discussion for another time.
    I never heard the final say on if the shielding for their lightning connector could be used as the ninth pin (ground). If so then the existing cable could handle USB3 as-is.

I'll be interested in professional benchmarks to see just how fast the NAND is in the Note 3. That will obviously be the bottleneck here so interested to see what rates it is capable of.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by zach_alt View Post

So it would charge fast even with the older cable?

Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

Anybody can aNswer my question?i have galaxy note 3...its not charging via usb...when i plug it into my pc the battery % goes down...I try to factory reset....after reset it works fine,but when i try copy videofiles in my phone after copying videofiles the % goes down again...what happening?its like my phone dont like videofiles????SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VAHE999 View Post
    Anybody can aNswer my question?i have galaxy note 3...its not charging via usb...when i plug it into my pc the battery % goes down...I try to factory reset....after reset it works fine,but when i try copy videofiles in my phone after copying videofiles the % goes down again...what happening?its like my phone dont like videofiles????SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH
    Your pc isn't providing enough power to the USB port. Nothing you can do about it, except charge from the wall or get a new pc.

I just got th he note 3 and noticed it took forever to charge my phone to 100%. I took it to the store and they said it's normal? How can it be normal to have a new phone take 5+hours to charge. I havent been able to use the cord that came with it bc iforgot it at work but any USB cable should work right?

My pc is new....motherboard is asus p8h77-v core i5 3330 processor geforce gtx 570 videocard and 8 gb ram and many many many coolers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    Your pc isn't providing enough power to the USB port. Nothing you can do about it, except charge from the wall or get a new pc.

My pc is new....motherboard is asus p8h77-v core i5 3330 processor geforce gtx 570 videocard and 8 gb ram and many many many coolers

This is just my perception based on two instances so far, but it seemed like when I plugged my phone into one of my new computer's USB 3.0 ports, it charged very slowly, whereas when I plugged it into my old computer's front 2.0 ports, it charged noticeably faster.

The phone was a lot lower on power in the first case, if that makes a difference (I think I let it get to 15%.)

Quote Originally Posted by VAHE999 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The mobo.. RAM.. Video card.. Has nothing to do with the power supply.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I'm plugged into a USB 2.0 port on my main laptop, and the charge times are outstanding. I haven't noticed much of a difference in plugging into the USB 2.0 vs plugging into my 3.0 (with exception of that annoying, "This device can run much faster....") pop-up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast